Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Pro wrestling is sports entertainment, it's the same shit and I will never understand why fans, even wrestlers want to saparate both terms, it's retarded.

Ask yourself, what is the main purpose of pro wrestling? It's to ENTERTAIN?... That's why the matches are fake and everything is scripted. It's fake shit show, a circus made to make money, it's not a sport, it's not even a fucking athletic show, there is no competition.

Pro wrestling itself is stupid, it's a soap opera that simulates fighting like a dance. How can you call this anything else than sports entertainment? You shoudn't even call it sport, take that off and call it pure entertiainment, it's what it is.

As for the question, I don't enjoy watching oily men dancing in underwear pretending to fight just for the sake of it and I don't understand how there are growm ass men that do it.

What the fuck actually.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
18,007 Posts
Honestly, I don’t get as much thrill/adrenaline as I do when I watch professional wresting at its best.

WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov II, Edge vs Seth Rollins from Smackdown last week, Daniel Bryan vs Kofi Kingston from Wrestlemania 35, and Kenny Omega vs Christian Cage from All Out are great examples of that off the top of my head.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
13,007 Posts
There's no real distinction between pro wrestling and sports entertainment. Sports entertainment is just a term used by WWE because they don't want to say pro wrestling, but it doesn't change the fact that sports entertainment IS pro wrestling. The fundamentals have always been the same, in-ring action, promos, storylines, characters, and drama have always been essential to wrestling, it doesn't matter if it's pro wrestling or sports entertainment.

Of course, there are some promotions that like placing an emphasis on a particular aspect of wrestling. Ring of Honor has always been more about athletics and in-ring work while WWE is more focused on providing a broad range of entertainment, but they're both still essentially the same really.

·
Registered
3:16
676 Posts
Pro wrestling IS sports entertainment.
Sports entertainment IS pro wrestling.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Honestly, I don’t get as much thrill/adrenaline as I do when I watch professional wresting at its best.

WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov II, Edge vs Seth Rollins from Smackdown last week, Daniel Bryan vs Kofi Kingston from Wrestlemania 35, and Kenny Omega vs Christian Cage from All Out are great examples of that off the top of my head.
Try watching MMA

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
18,007 Posts
Try watching MMA
If you want to see the ‘sports entertainment’ shenanigans, then try watching some sitcom or a movie.

·
This Post Is Rated R
2,878 Posts
Great matches > Great promos

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like it being 50/50. Good storylines, good promos, and good matches make for a perfect show! WWE used to know how to do this. Now they do it maybe 10% of the time. AEW does it about 80% of the time. Both companies do stupid shit. It just seems WWE does it more often.

Back in the day I liked WWF. Today I like AEW.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
If I had to come up with my own definition of both it'd be

Pro Wrestling: A bigger focus on the athletic side of things and a larger emphasis on the in ring product, drama and characters take a backseat in favour of the physical aspect. The matches are the most prevalent part of the show.

Sports Entertainment: A bigger focus on the drama side of things, larger emphasis on promos, characters vignettes, the in ring stuff takes a backseat in favour of the acting. Promos and vignettes are the most prevalent aspect of the show.

Which do you prefer and why?
I'm not sure where you got these definitions from, but promos and vignettes have 100% played a part of Pro Wrestling since before Vince McMahon coined that ridiculous term. Pro Wrestling had drama and wrestlers had to have charisma.

If I had to say anything, "Sports Entertainment" added nonsensical angles, stripped away logic and forced scripted promos on grown adults who would never talk in such a manner.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Smackdown in 2003 is proof that you can have both.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'd echo the balance comments, although I was quite happy to have NXT one style and the Main Roster another. I get the next changes as that doesn't benefit bringing wrestlers through but hopefully NXT UK retains that mantle or a more physical/technical and realistic sports wrestling show.

To be honest predominantly my favourite parts of shows was always the storylines, promos and with the way matches are so prescribed, predictable and pretty much repeats in terms of move sets week to week I would skip through lots of the actual wrestling. It was always very easy to know what is filler, that you wouldn't be seeing anything new etc.

To my ignorance (because I predominantly only watched WWE despite brief flirtations with TNA/ROH, the odd indie clips) it wasn't until NXT and the changed focus to more combat sports/technical wrestling that I got back into watching full matches and appreciating the art because its not a carbon copy match to match or week to week like Raw and Smackdown.

I think there is a place in WWE with the number of shows they have to cater to all tastes. Even slightly differentiating RAW and Smackdown would be a good idea with Smackdown being the more outlandish mainstream glitz/glamour sports entertainment and Raw being more grittier and edgier. I know there have been lots of talk over the years of that being the approach but like most other things I don't think they ever committed to it or stuck with that idea long enough for it to work.

I'm also a hard brand split fan though so for me, give me a different product. That doesn't mean it isn't "WWE style" or whatever that means but there has to be a reason to watch Raw and Smackdown beyond just different wrestlers being on the show. Give each show its own identity, gimmicks and feel. The is room for both Pro Wrestling and Sports Entertainment.

·
Premium Member
No one is ready for Konami
3,617 Posts
Right now it's pro wrestling because I haven't been getting sports entertainment from any company lately.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Wrestling I like to suspend my disbelief for 2 hours. Sports Entertainment is pretty much saying we're not real during a broadcast is annoying. You don't hear Seinfeld calling itself a comedy during the show.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Professional wrestling for me. For me, I feel like an 80/20 split seems reasonable for the wrestling vs. promos that make up a wrestling promotion. I get more into it when the wrestlers are presented as elite athletes and the matches are presented as competition instead of wrestlers being presented as actors and matches being presented as performances. This would also imply that wrestlers look legitimate physically and their skill set matches it. This would also mean that silly moves like the People's Elbow, the Worm, and Five Knuckle Shuffle should not be part of the industry. You can still have time dedicated to trash talk and cutting promos to help build the product, but the in-ring action should do most of the talking.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Professional wrestling for me. For me, I feel like an 80/20 split seems reasonable for the wrestling vs. promos that make up a wrestling promotion. I get more into it when the wrestlers are presented as elite athletes and the matches are presented as competition instead of wrestlers being presented as actors and matches being presented as performances. This would also imply that wrestlers look legitimate physically and their skill set matches it. This would also mean that silly moves like the People's Elbow, the Worm, and Five Knuckle Shuffle should not be part of the industry. You can still have time dedicated to trash talk and cutting promos to help build the product, but the in-ring action should do most of the talking.
But you are describing something that does not exist, which wrestling company is close to look real or has been? Wrestling is fake and gay even when you try it not to be,

Historically wrestling matches are not made to look real, if it was it would look close to MMA and you would have to eliminate 95% of the unnecessary spots and moves that make it look choreographic as shit.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts