Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had to come up with my own definition of both it'd be

Pro Wrestling: A bigger focus on the athletic side of things and a larger emphasis on the in ring product, drama and characters take a backseat in favour of the physical aspect. The matches are the most prevalent part of the show.

Sports Entertainment: A bigger focus on the drama side of things, larger emphasis on promos, characters vignettes, the in ring stuff takes a backseat in favour of the acting. Promos and vignettes are the most prevalent aspect of the show.

Which do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I'd love a product that could properly balance both. Mostly, I just like pro wrestling whatever form that takes. Obviously some forms rate has there than others but I feel there is room for it all.

·
The Mister Abigail Experience
🦶🦶👏 🦶🦶👏 🦶🦶👏 🦶🦶👏
6,585 Posts
A mix of both.

Really the only things I don't like is when they do those obvious choreographed bits, like in the recent AEW show in that multi man tag match. One person gets the other in a hold, then the next gets in a hold, next and next and next then Luchasaurus kicks one and they all go flying. Stuff like the Bucks do, with the no selling. That stuff is stupid to me. However, I liked the NXT wedding because it was funny. Not picking on AEW, it doesn't matter who does it. Those are just examples.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
You need a good combo, think of movies like Rocky, lots of drama or "sports entertainment" but when he boxed they were hard fought matches.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If it weren't for World Wide Fund for Nature, we wouldn't talk about "pro wrestling" vs "sports entertainment." Vince just rebranded because he had to do so and he is great at marketing.

For me, the question is WWE vs Territories, including JCP/WCW.
They all had a lot of over the top characters and storylines. WWE was just more cartoonish. The territories were better at everything... except production. Although, today's WWE production is terrible with the video game style shaking and zooming.

The territories were entertaining pro wrestling. I wish there were promotions that were making shows for people into other professional sports. (mma, boxing, football, basketball, etc.)

A lot of the people that made the territories so successful, also made WWE so successful. A lot of things over-lap, including "pro wrestling" and "sports entertainment."

·
Registered
681 Posts
You need a good combo, think of movies like Rocky, lots of drama or "sports entertainment" but when he boxed they were hard fought matches.
Rocky 1-4 were good in their own ways.
1. Underdog just wants to compete vs best and make it to the end with out being KO'd. Based off of Chuck Wepner vs Muhammad Ali.
2. This time Rocky believes he can beat Creed... and does.
3. Rocky got soft. Clubber Lang KO's him, Rocky comes back as an underdog.
4. Rocky wants to beat Drago and get revenge for Creed. 80's USA vs USSR.

The actual boxing scenes weren't great. One would throw 20 punches, then the other would throw 20. Not good. But the scores (soundtracks) were amazing. We were so into the story and character of Rocky. WWE seems more like Rocky 5 with bad acting. However, there is a reason Rocky is better than Cinderella Man. WWE gets a lot right.

I'd add Karate Kid and Bloodsport. Jean-Claude Van Damme did a good job with the fight scenes. Even Mickey (Brad Pitt) in Snatch had fun boxing scenes.

I agree, "You need a good combo". I think the 80's had a good combo.

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,746 Posts
'Pro Wrestling' done right is essentially Sports Entertainment though.

You cant just have a product that's nothing but bland charisma vacuums putting on meaningless match after meaningless match.

As much as some fans act like that would be the greatest thing ever, you need the characters, the promos, the feuds, the drama, the stories, etc to make that matches mean something. If Game Of Thrones was just an hour of battles every single week with zero character development no one would have ever watched it. Pro Wrestling needs Sports Entertainment, otherwise you may as well just go watch gymnastics. You'll see much more impressive flips there than in Pro Wrestling.

·
Banned
The King Of Rants
11,916 Posts
As others have said a mix of both is best. I tend to like serious pro wrestling stories and matches up top but a little bit of soap opera or even a small sprinkling of non insulting comedy is good in the undercard.

·
Waiting for Kawato
3,051 Posts
Except that what you've termed as sports entertainment has existed for like 100 years or more in all corners of the globe, and has always been called pro-wrestling.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Professional wrestling is a vague term but sports entertainment is an even worse term. There is nothing competitive about a scripted environment. It's all just entertainment with a sports theme.

·
Banned
7,143 Posts
I like that WWE is entertainment oriented. If everyone was pushed due to work rate, I probably wouldn't watch. All the top stars would be guys I don't care about like Zayn, Richochet, Gargano, Owens and Keith Lee.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
22,692 Posts
Both can be enjoyable.

You can't have sports entertainment without pro wrestling. Despite how fucking awful the term 'sports entertainment' is.

I don't see why it has to be a choice between one or the other.

·
The Ghost of WF
Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the realm of the dead.
20,243 Posts
Professional Wrestling is both of those aspects fundamentally so that's me right there, One without the other defeats the purpose of it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts