Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Hardcore Casual
834 Posts
Ring work. Aside from anything else, there's a shitton more you can do to compensate for a poor promo cutter than you can to make up for a terrible in-ring worker:

1. Stick the guy with a silent gimmick. It worked for The Undertaker when he was green, as well as Kane and other "silent giants."
2. In an era of video vignettes, great in-ring work coupled with an epic voiceover and music can make an even better promo/highlight reel than overdrawn mic work.
3. As others have pointed out, charisma =/= mic work exclusively. It is a big part of it, but in-ring showmanship, storytelling and character-building lends itself to charisma. Mick Foley is one of the most charismatic superstars ever, but it had a lot to do with getting into his character/gimmick convincingly and drawing in the crowd (like stabbing himself in the leg as the original psychotic Mankind).

But if someone's shit in the ring, the best you can do is get superior workers to carry the superstar.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
For WWE mic and character work. I got NJPW for ring work.

Greatest feud in WWE history was Austin/McMahon and that was about 98% mic/character work.
That feud was character work, not mic work. The Mr. McMahon character sold that feud. Enzo has great mic skills, but his character is shit and his ring skills are worse than shit. You have to have some sort of balance somewhere. Just mic work won't get anyone anywhere.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Mic work and charisma. Plenty of them are great in the ring but wrestling is character driven. What makes me want to care about this guy winning over the other? That's the key imo

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mic skills.

The key ingredient in making a great wrestler is to know how to wrestle and wrestle well. But the key ingredient in making a superstar is to know how to come alive on the mic. People expect a wrestler to know how to wrestle but they don't expect a wrestler to know how to talk them into the building. Words leave a longer lasting impression than any wrestling move can do.

·
Blessed Child of God
2,917 Posts
Let me elaborate a bit.

Would you choose a superstar who is an amazing wrestler but has medicore mic skills or a mediocre wrestler with amazing mic skills?

Lets keep it simple and not overly complicate this topic. So, no answers of "both" or this and that. Mic skills versus ring skills. Which do u prefer?

Btw its good to be back

edit: yes, guys,everyone would love a wrestler who can do both but if you had to choose one!
I don't watch wrestling to hear someone talk. Ring work (and psychology) will always be what matter most.

·
The Irish Rapist
3,392 Posts
Mic work and charisma. Plenty of them are great in the ring but wrestling is character driven. What makes me want to care about this guy winning over the other? That's the key imo
That's booking, not mic work or charisma.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So maybe I shouldve made a poll but so far it looks like this

ring work: 13
mic work: 11 or 12

very closeeeeeeeeee. almost half n half

21 - 32 of 32 Posts