Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the wrestling business, I feel that there are two types of heels.

You have the comedic heels who tend to use comedy mixed with heelish ways, whether that means making a fool out of themselves, cracking jokes, looking stupid, ect. Heels that fall into this category are

The Rock
Mr.Kennedy/Anderson
Chris Jericho
Christian
The Miz
Ect.

And you have the more serious heels. The ones who might use comedy once in a while but do it very rarely in favor of having a more serious approach to being a heel. Heels that fall into this category are

Brock Lesnar
Undertaker(Ministry and American Badass)
Randy Orton(Vipor gimmick)
Chris Benoit
JBL
Wade Barret
Drew Macintyre
ect.

My question is. How do you prefer heels act out of those two categories and which one do you think is a better approach for a heel?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Barret isslowly falling into the comedic heel, not because of his character but his feud with Cena who's acting like a total goofball.

Therefore, I think it depends on the storyline and face too. They could have take the Nexus with a more serious approach as it seemed at firs, but WWE slowly have turned it into a joke with all of Cena's goofy antics.

Then again, Bret Hart, whether face or heel, always looked badass whether Shawn was acting serious or as a douche.

·
14,505 Posts
I don't you can say that one is a better approach than the other, because it all depends on wrestler.

If you notice in your list, all the guys who are the "comedic" heels are the guys who are praised for their mic work, while the guys in the "serious" category are mostly big dudes.

You can't have a heel Undertaker being a comedic character and you can't really have Miz as a serious character, because neither is very believable.

So, I can't say that one approach is better than the other and I've enjoyed The Rock being an complete clown as much as I enjoyed Brock Lesnar absolutely ripping the whole roster apart in his debut monster run.

It all depends on the talent.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
^That.

Jericho, Rock, Lesnar, JBL are some of my favourite heels of all-time, and they all fit into different categories. If everyone was a serious heel it wouldn't be right, and if everyone was comedy based it'd be stupid. I like the mixture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh correct me if i'm wrong, I thought that Orton was a tweener??

Honestly Comedic Heels are the ones that bring enjoyment into watching WWE.. (especially now its PG..)
Edge, Jericho , Shane O mac

but Mega-heels are good too...The the story line can be abit boring but at least mega heels make main eventers look good.
I like Sheamus and JBL good heels... maybe toss in a eddie guerrero??

·
Wrestling is better while drinking
1,898 Posts
I prefer the old heel style: Flair, Piper, Roberts, Dibiase, Rude, Heenan. There could be comedy there, but there was a very malicious streak and you were never sure what you got.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I can't of like a mixture of both to be honest. Serious with some funny is always good. For example, right now Sheamus is my favorite heel in the WWE active and it's because he's a monster heel, and a serious one, but at the same time, there's something quite funny about him. He has those little mannerisms that make me laugh like the 'fella' stuff, or some of the lines he says. He has a good mixture in my opinion.

I don't like those serious heels who are so serious they fail at being entertaining, but I also don't like purely comedic heels (although there aren't many in the main evnet).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Barrett can do comedy; anyone see his great double act with Byron Saxton on FCW, when they were both commentating together, this time last year?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Jericho can definatly be a serious heel hence his 2008 to mid 2009 honest man gimmick. I didn't mention 2009-10 because he became less serious and more of a parody of himself and once again became a comedy heel

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
There's always gotta be a little comedy thrown in there. It's wrestling. Nobody wants to watch a serious wrestling program where everyone speaks in serious deep voices.

Jericho for most of his career >> Later serious Jericho

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts
Comedy heels most entertaining; throughout history the best heels have been the ones that make all faces look like slow, idiotic meatheads. Triple H is the exception to this, he's a better heel than everyone regardless of whether he's serious or comedic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer comedic heels because they entertain me more with their mic skills.Serious heels like Sheamus have never entertain me,but I also like serious heels that is good in the ring like Jack Swagger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts