Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking. Why so called "smarks" think being a mark is a bad thing?

Does anyone else miss the days when they could just enjoy wrestling without whining about it on a forum?

Back when you would get legitimately surprised by angles because you werent reading a dirt sheet spoiling it

The last time I went to a WWE live event, I sat near a dad and his son both attending their first event.

The dad and son were both "marks" but they weren't whining about things in the show. They had a good time and enjoyed themselves.

Maybe I'm alone in this

·
Registered
745 Posts
I don't know, it depends. I mean you know despite a so-so card I was excited into watching most of the HITC PPV and I enjoyed most of the stuff and probably someone that would say otherwise, but who knows. Of course, not as much as Summerslam or MITB, but enough to say yep that was a few hours well spent. Maybe it is ok to sometimes be a mark, because those are the people that could get enamored into the product and actually could get excited over it, which is sometimes rare these days.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Forums are the death of most people's enjoyment for wrestling. You can break it into marks and smarks all you want - but I knew how wrestling worked before this place and so do many others who join wrestling forums.

But once you're on a site like this, the negativity breeds like a Gremlin submerged in water. You like a guy and enjoy his matches and his work - then you come on here and read guys saying his workrate sucks, his character sucks, his feuds suck, he isn't over, he can't draw, blah blah blah. It's hard not to buy into that shit.

I like to think my overall opinion on wrestling hasn't changed as dramatically as some people's do when they become a part of this community - but even I am not immune. I AM more negative about things - but I do still enjoy what I enjoy and can have a good ol' mark out when the time suits.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
Nope, since I am a big fan then the internet gives me more resources to find out more about wrestling. I enjoy it more now than I did before. I know people say the internet killed or is killing the business but I think it made me more of a fan. By the way I don't usually believe storyline rumors but if some do spoil it then I still mark out when I see it on TV. I'm probably the only one.

·
Banned
8 Posts
But once you're on a site like this, the negativity breeds like a Gremlin submerged in water. You like a guy and enjoy his matches and his work - then you come on here and read guys saying his workrate sucks, his character sucks, his feuds suck, he isn't over, he can't draw, blah blah blah. It's hard not to buy into that shit.

it takes a really feeble mind to cave into some internet forum whines...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Markdom > Smarkdom.

Nope, since I am a big fan then the internet gives me more resources to find out more about wrestling. I enjoy it more now than I did before. I know people say the internet killed or is killing the business but I think it made me more of a fan. By the way I don't usually believe storyline rumors but if some do spoil it then I still mark out when I see it on TV. I'm probably the only one.
That may be so, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think you're taking away from the impact of an on-screen event by reading about it in advance.

I get where you're coming from in terms of the internet etc. opening up the backstage world to the fans (the wrestling biz is a facscinating beast), but in terms of enjoying the on-screen product spoliers and smarkdom are without a doubt a detriment.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
not really. The hassle of hating all the heels was actually kind of annoying. I'd rather like every wrestler on the rsoter (which I obviously don't, though). A lot of the IWC not being "marks" is pretty blown out of proportion, anyway. Well, I'm more of a mark, depending on the term, than people would be lead to believe.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I reckon I'm a full-on mark tbh. I can see how the product went downhill a few years ago (my hiatus) and has recently shot back up again. I'm enjoying it almost as much as when I was 7/8 (though nothin will ever beat thinking it was all real). I have to say that people who complain at the CURRENT product (as in 'the last year or so of steady improvement'), given what the last few years have offered, cannot be happy souls.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not really. The hassle of hating all the heels was actually kind of annoying. I'd rather like every wrestler on the rsoter (which I obviously don't, though). A lot of the IWC not being "marks" is pretty blown out of proportion, anyway. Well, I'm more of a mark, depending on the term, than people would be lead to believe.
Being a mark doesnt mean you hate the heel and like all the faces

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
i am still a mark and i normally dont read dirtsheets
also i enjoy wrestling and i dont care about ratings as much as a lot of people here do
its like they own the wwe and are afraid of getting broke....

i will keep enjoying wrestling as long as my favorites get tv time and have good matches
am i sad that few arent on sd or raw and end up jobbing on superstars(drew) yes but at least he is not future endeavored

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Actually, wasn't too long ago I was one. When I marked for Cena way back I was pretty much still in markdom (I think I googled a few wrestling turns and half understood them, didn't know how to apply them to actual situations.) Then I guess earlier in the year it was just instant because I do everything on the internet.

Smarkdom allows discussion, and I wouldn't trade it for anything tbh. Not even being surprised at the results of a Smackdown :p
Forums are the death of most people's enjoyment for wrestling. You can break it into marks and smarks all you want - but I knew how wrestling worked before this place and so do many others who join wrestling forums.

I like to think my overall opinion on wrestling hasn't changed as dramatically as some people's do when they become a part of this community - but even I am not immune. I AM more negative about things - but I do still enjoy what I enjoy and can have a good ol' mark out when the time suits.
True, true. About the liking people thing, it won't happen if you like them enough. But for example, before I came on the boards I thought hey that John Morrison is quite interesting. Wacky that he used to be called Johnny Nitro in MNM.
And now, I somehow find it hard to find a single redeeming quality about him. I like the starship pain. That's about it. Would never happen with guys like CM Punk, Sheamus, Edge, Christian etc because I like them too much, especially Edge.
Come to think of it I think Morrison might be the exception. I've formed my opinions of everyone else on my own. Like the Cena hate, I was quite indifferent to him until recently.

I think the key is taking everything with a pound and a half of salt. It's people's opinion. They might be the most eloquent, well written things you've seen. But they're still opinion. From Pyro to Dave Meltzer.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
It's been a double-edged sword for me. I was still a kid back when WCW was near the end of it's height (97-98) and remembered enjoying everything because I still didn't know that the outcomes were scripted.

Now that I know all of that and read spoilers and dirtsheets it ruins some of the "magic" and surprise of it, but at the same time I feel like I've gained a deeper appreciation for wrestlers and the work they do in and out of the ring instead of being focused solely on "good guys vs bad guys."

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I miss when wrestling was just watching action without knowing what a squash match is and thinking promos are worthless. Back when I was new into it, the only thing on my mind was "Just shut the fuck up and already start a match". I remember watching some random DVDs and loving the backstage fights and getting annoyed by the faces in tag team matches having a unfair referee working against them all the time.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
Some of the complaining that goes on here is horrible but I generally don't get caught up in it. I like the product and I keep an open mind to everything. I don't think I'll ever enjoy WWE as much as I did in '04 though. By far my favorite year.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I was just thinking. Why so called "smarks" think being a mark is a bad thing?

Does anyone else miss the days when they could just enjoy wrestling without whining about it on a forum?

Back when you would get legitimately surprised by angles because you werent reading a dirt sheet spoiling it

The last time I went to a WWE live event, I sat near a dad and his son both attending their first event.

The dad and son were both "marks" but they weren't whining about things in the show. They had a good time and enjoyed themselves.

Maybe I'm alone in this
I actually miss sports!

·
Banned
740 Posts
The internet fans ARE the marks. The fans that think they are all geniuses and know whats best = the marks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts