Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
I don't particularly miss a lot of the wrestlers from bygone eras at all. Rather, I miss the approach to the business that was taken back in those days, when charisma, character and mic skills were king, and we didn't accentuate and promote the wrestlers with glaring flaws in the important areas of the business, and we didn't focus on who can do the coolest somersault.

It's a shame how we've devolved as an art form. 15-20 years ago, there is absolutely zero chance that Seth Rollins and AJ Styles are getting bigger pushes than Bray Wyatt and Samoa Joe. Zero chance. Yet here we are in 2019, and everything be damned that can draw money, everything be damned that can turn around the business, There is just no understanding anymore that pro wrestling is theater.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I started watching in 1987 and wrestling has never been as good as it was in the late 80's as far as being invested in the characters, as entertaining as The Attitude Era or as good wrestling wise as the Ruthless Aggression Era...so YES, I miss the stars of yesterday!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Of course.

But life moves on. All those individuals and the wrestling business as a whole was like all things a microcosm of it's time.
It was more relaxed, simpler and carefree like the society at the time as opposed to now.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Old timer here, watching Freddie Blassie at the old Olympic Auditorium vs guys like Rikidozan, Edouard Carpentier, Baron Leoni, Mr. Moto, yep, missed.

Watching Ray Stevens at the Cow Palace vs guys like Pepper Gomez, Wilbur Snyder, Cowboy Bob Ellis, Kenji Shibuya, yep, missed.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't particularly miss a lot of the wrestlers from bygone eras at all. Rather, I miss the approach to the business that was taken back in those days, when charisma, character and mic skills were king, and we didn't accentuate and promote the wrestlers with glaring flaws in the important areas of the business, and we didn't focus on who can do the coolest somersault.

It's a shame how we've devolved as an art form. 15-20 years ago, there is absolutely zero chance that Seth Rollins and AJ Styles are getting bigger pushes than Bray Wyatt and Samoa Joe. Zero chance. Yet here we are in 2019, and everything be damned that can draw money, everything be damned that can turn around the business, There is just no understanding anymore that pro wrestling is theater.
I can definitely agree with a lot of this. The production presentation is terrible. I think having good in-ring work is important but there needs to be a balance. Interviews, great characters, angles, and a build toward something.

I don't watch as much wrestling, these days, but a big pet peeve is just how many potential money programs and PPV-level matches they put on during their free weekly TV. It seems like every time that RAW is on, there is a champion working a match against a top contender for said belt, often in the first half or toward the middle of the card. As a viewer, this bores me. These may be top guys working a strong competitive match but I can't see what it is building to or why I should care.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts