Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People like Macho Man, Ric Flair, Steve Austin, Undertaker, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley, Roddy Piper, Sting, Jake The Snake Roberts, Ted DiBiase, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Diamond Dallas Page, Virgil, Scott Steiner, Arn Anderson, Kimberly Page, Trish Stratus, Lita, Dawn Marie, Sable, Lex Luger, Jimmy Hart, Rob Van Dam, Eric Bischoff, Bill Alfonso, Larry Zbyszko, Tony Schiavone, Mean Gene Okerlund, etc.

It doesn't get any better than the above. It truly makes me sad. I watched WCW, WWE, and ECW throughout the 90's, and the above people were there. It's like remembering all your old friends. They are infinitely better than the current WWE roster. They bring back so many great memories, that its hard to believe they are not on wrestling anymore.

Do you miss all these classic people?

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,108 Posts
No, I'm not that old.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes I do miss big star characters.
The kayfabe curtain has not only been pulled back it has been pulled down.

When superstars that are supposed to be rivals are playing video games together and snapping selfies together then seriously how can fans even suspend their belief anymore?

WWE has a ton of in ring talent but when it comes to character and star power the majority seem like they all have been clone mass produced on a factory line.
It would be difficult to fill one hand with how many talents actually standout with star power on today's roster.

This is more a problem with management more than talent themselves in my opinion. The product is in a cesspool of mediocrity due to clueless out of touch management.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
I do. Was great to have these larger than life characters, made for a great program.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
no

most of the guys you listed are either;

gold-diggers, liars, thieves, drug heads, assholes, egomaniacs, sociopaths, backstabbers, sexist pigs, have no respect for pro wrestling or worse

·
Attending Chris Jericho's Rager with Scott Steiner
6,418 Posts
yep and they were all entertaining. They're entertainers not policitians or people in power.
I don't know, man. With a lot of the stuff coming to light recently, these classic superstars seem to have more moral integrity than our politicians.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
No, the business needs to evolve. Hopefully AEW can create fresh, new talent, cause we all know WWE waved bye-bye to that a while ago.

Reactions: Erik.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
You hit the nail on the head with the “friends” analysis. They were distinctive, developed and recognisable characters. You knew them. Now everyone is just a wrestler that wrestles and wants to have the best wrestling matches.

I can’t say I miss the characters because I didn’t live through that period, but from watching the old stuff I know that that’s what I want in my wrestling.

·
Registered
221 Posts
as long as you aren't implying that it somehow justifies such behaviour

office politics count too, you couldn't even spell politicians right
im implying that i watched them to entertain me not for some moral guidance. Do you watch sport to see great athletes or to see people with good morals. If it's latter then id suggest you look elsewhere

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Do you watch sport to see great athletes or to see people with good morals. If it's latter then id suggest you look elsewhere
do I look like a Michael Vick fan to you?

im implying that i watched them to entertain me not for some moral guidance.
so you didn't used to train, say your prayers, take your vitamins or drink your milk, brother?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes and no.

Yes because in the WWF and WCW time i was younger and as i'm old i obviously miss those simpler times of being young watching wrestling.
WWF and WCW had those very colorful characters, kayfabe was still alive so they could manage to make you believe a guy was a hero or a villain without the internet debunking it or exposing how true assholes those guys were in real life etc.. yeah it was really another time.

No because while i have ceased to watch WWE several years ago the rise of the internet has allowed me to watch other companies work (and watch their work from when i was still young but had no way to watch out of some dodgy vhs) that delivered everything i liked in pro wrestling (what WWE does not) and even if kayfabe is completely dead and, there are several great characters and matches out there so i don't miss that much the ones from my youth anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts