Wrestling Forum banner

Do you live a Double life because of WWE?

7999 Views 95 Replies 86 Participants Last post by  hardcore1982
This might sound funny to some people but others will know what I am talking about. I have been following the WWE for a very long time now. When I was young my friends and I always made it a point to watch and follow our fav people in WWE and just like many of you we had are own matches outside.

I hate telling people that I watch wrestling, because they look at me like it is a bad thing. Trying to tell someone, "Hey WWE is on, want to watch it?" Is like handing a Nun a dildo.

Most people that ask, "Why do you watch wrestling?" first thing I always say, I have been keeping up with it for many years and I have always enjoy watching it, plus I know its fake (I feel like I always have to point that out).

Some of you don't have any problem with others knowning that you watch and you are not the ones I am talking too. I was wanting to know if anyone else was going threw the same thing.
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

· GOAT
4,616 Posts
I've never really given a shit about what people may thing about me, I never really go out of my way to tell anyone I watch wrestling, but if they ask me about it I'll damn sure tell them everything I know about it.

· EIRE
20,858 Posts
I never hid the fact that I was a wrestling fan. I always caught shit for it over the years but I never really cared and I never lied about it.

I do have to say though, I'm not really a wrestling fan anymore. I tapped out before Summerslam last year and the UFC has taken over completely for me. I cannot watch Raw anymore without laughing and honestly I wonder why I even liked it to begin with. And as a previous life long fan, that's a little hard for me to say as I still feel some sense of loyalty to it, despite not being able to tolerate it anymore. I've never missed a WM and honestly I think I'm going to skip it this year because I couldn't care less. I only watched the Rumble match from this year's Rumble and I didn't even enjoy that anymore, I prefer real fighting much more. I've loved the UFC since late 04 but last year, for whatever reason, it kicked into overdrive and I am completely and utterly addicted to it. Before I loved both of them, with the E given the slight edge but now honestly the WWE could go out of business and I wouldn't give a shit.

· Registered
225 Posts
Like most of the replies, i dont live a double, i dont mind telling someone i watch it but i dont shout about it either. However bad you might think WWE's rep is over in the US or UK,its alot worst over here in Ireland

· Registered
5,575 Posts
In high school i wouldn't advertise that i watched it. But when i got to college seemed like all my friends were into it and we would have a group of 9-10 people that would watch raw with each week and then go to someones house to get the PPVs. Also our game of choice was smackdown vs raw so we'd play that all the time on PS2. Seemed like no one care once you get out of high school.

I did see some dirtbag walking around with a nexus sweatshirt and /facepalm'd. Thats where the stereotype of wrestling fans comes from.

· Registered
2,962 Posts
I didn't have a problem talking about it last it 2005. But after that i did. I use to watch it in 06 and 07 still, and I started to get embaressed that I was watching WWE. It seemed like something I grew out of. You guys can say movies are fake, but the movies I watch are geared towards my age group or older. WWE is something a lot of people grow out of once they reach 21 years old or whenever they get more mature. Now I'm not saying this to bash wrestling fans, but most people I know that still watch are quite immature and always act on their emotions. I am not saying everything that watches WWE is "Dumb", but for the majority the people in my town don't seem matured and they still seem so sensitive. I honestly don't think that most people over the age or 22 watch wrestling anymore. I think it's mostly you kids and you who are stuck on WWE for life. I don't watch wrestling anymore. UFC is more entertaining, IMO.

· Registered
38 Posts
I'm a stereotype on here as in I used to watch it with mates when we were 10-13, then for some reason everyone stpped watching, I did too, but I like going back and watching the older stuff, reliving what used to take up my evenings. I don't tell people that I watch, but I'll always have a conversation with somebody if they bring it up first.

· Registered
2,999 Posts
Nope, but i see your point, Wrestling is often cheesy, it's predetermine and one of those things you are suppose to grow out of, but i don't give a damm really, do i get looks when i tell some People? Yes, but to me that doesn't matter, cause i find it funny to play with strangers reactions, sometimes i create a Character just to embarass them or make them look foolish. My friends understand, some more and some less, and there is even one dude i watch sometimes, but fact is all my friends watched at some point, for some it's a phase. I know ALOT of People who watched when they were 12-16 and stopped, that's just cause you realize it's not real, and if you only watch cause you think they fight each other, of course you are gonna stop, i also stopped for a week when i found it, but you know what dragged me in again? The Feuds and Storylines, i wanted to know what happens next, sometimes that is missing from Wrestling, it's all about NOW, so therefore you can't build something up, for instance Rey vs Eddie was kinda stupid yes, considering in the end they had a ladder match for the custody of a child, but you had to keep watching to know what happens, Eddie would say, that next week he will reveal Rey's secret, or read the next chapter of the secret book or fight rey and if Rey wins he will shut up, he didn't but it kept you watching.

· Registered
7,800 Posts
If someone bring up the fact that i watch wrestling i won't deny it, but it's not something i go around telling people.

People i know have accepted it, mostly because i to realize how bad it is and that i don't wear my fandom around.

· Registered
2,962 Posts
If someone bring up the fact that i watch wrestling i won't deny it, but it's not something i go around telling people.

People i know have accepted it, mostly because i to realize how bad it is and that i don't wear my fandom around.
Hey, I just have a question. You realize how bad it is, yet you still watch, why? Is it purely out of habit, supporting the product so it doesn't die? Myself, If i find something sucking, then I dont watch or even PVR it. Not just with wrestling, but with TV shows, movies, and so on.

· Registered
5,747 Posts
I love hyping wrestling. Respecting it's performers, how long it's been going on, no off season, comparing it to 'high' arts, railing against for pandering to idiots. Wrestling is like a puzzle. Those that don't get it, I actually see myself as better than them. After all, they're the ones who are blind anti-marks. Why would they bother me?

· Registered
729 Posts
na bro i put that shit on blast :) i really dont care what anyone thinks. i mean its not like if im a nerd or anything and HAVE to hide it. im cool and popular enough to the point where i can actually talk about wrestling to people who dont even watch it.

· Banned
10,470 Posts
I probably should have listened to the advice of the OP a long time ago and lived a double life. See I made the mistake of ordering the ppv's at my grandparents house when I was over there and watching Raw with him and talking about it as well. Since then he told my father and it's been a thumb downer in conversations when my dad is mad at me as I worked with my father for a whole year and it sucked when his ass use to say stop watching that shit and going on wrestling blogs.

· Registered
7,800 Posts
Hey, I just have a question. You realize how bad it is, yet you still watch, why? Is it purely out of habit, supporting the product so it doesn't die? Myself, If i find something sucking, then I dont watch or even PVR it. Not just with wrestling, but with TV shows, movies, and so on.
I like some of it but alot turns out to be crap,
only a small number of times has pro wrestling left me not shaking my head.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.