Wrestling Forum banner

Do you live a Double life because of WWE?

7999 Views 95 Replies 86 Participants Last post by  hardcore1982
This might sound funny to some people but others will know what I am talking about. I have been following the WWE for a very long time now. When I was young my friends and I always made it a point to watch and follow our fav people in WWE and just like many of you we had are own matches outside.

I hate telling people that I watch wrestling, because they look at me like it is a bad thing. Trying to tell someone, "Hey WWE is on, want to watch it?" Is like handing a Nun a dildo.

Most people that ask, "Why do you watch wrestling?" first thing I always say, I have been keeping up with it for many years and I have always enjoy watching it, plus I know its fake (I feel like I always have to point that out).

Some of you don't have any problem with others knowning that you watch and you are not the ones I am talking too. I was wanting to know if anyone else was going threw the same thing.
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

· Registered
5,458 Posts
Not a double life but I definetely don't bring it up. To me, wrestling is as stupid as Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, or pretty much anything on MTV nowadays so the whole 'you know it's fake right?' argument doesn't hold much water. I enjoy the athletic aspect of it so it's a good substitute when sports or UFC aren't on.

· Registered
7,396 Posts
no. most of my friends still watch it.

Reactions: CJ

· Registered
103 Posts
my dad slags me all the time and i just say why do you watch all the soaps on television. he says they are different. a say wrestling is like a big soap opera with fights. that usually shuts him up. When people ask me why im going to Atlanta soon a just say for the wrestling and a usually take a bit of slaggin but most people are kool with it and say it will be awesommeeeeeeeeee

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Yes. If I told anyone they would go on and on about how wrestling is fake and that it's all scripted
Being a pro wrestler, hearing people go on about how fake it is and it's all scripted REALLY pissed me of to no end because of the disrespect that this profession gets. The casual person on the street think that just because the outcomes are predetermined that "pro wrestling" isn't all that hard to do. They know nothing about taking bumps and naturally have no clue whatsoever the toll that wrestling takes on the body. It's seems like the only "casual" people who know about the toll and dangers of pro wrestling are medical insurance companies and life insurance companies who milk you of every cent you have to your name. I've learned to live with people's ignorance when it comes to this profession because you can't change his or her opinion that easily. On a sidenote, i had a bud who was one of those people who were completely ignorant about pro wrestling, so i invited him to do a tag match with me and a few of the boys at the thursday night mayhem show, and us being the professionals that we are, worked an extra stiff match. All it took was an 8 minute match to change his opinion on how "gay" it is to be a pro wrestler...good times

· Registered
5,515 Posts
if you live a double life then you are sad and pathetic

I tell everyone I watch wrestling, i don't care what they think. I like it and I get enjoyment out of it so why what does it have to do with anyone else. I am always talking about it and if people don't like it then thats their problem.

You people are so scared of what others think, just live your life and be into what you like. Stop trying to fit in and be yourself for gods sake. What are you scared of? People call you a loser? Well if they do then they aren't worth talking to anyway so you are probably better off without them.

· Registered
104 Posts
A very good question.

No, I am proud of watching wrestling and all my friends know it, lol.

I think a lot of wrestling fans are ashamed because wrestling used to be classed as a 'legitimate sport' and now it is reduced to 'sports entertainment'. If wrestling didn't pretend it was legtimate to start with, fans may not feel this way towards wrestling.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
No, a lot of people around me already know that i love watching pro wrestling, and they seem fine with it. I just don't bring that topic up often when i talk with my friends because i'm the only avid wrestling fan of the bunch, my friends probably know about some attitude era guys but they have no idea about the current 'youth movement' and all that stuff. Hence why this forum is the only place where i can talk about wrestling freely.

· Registered
3,493 Posts
I don't particuarly hide it but I wouldn't wear a DX t-shirt on a date. I have a few friends who watch it and when I discuss with them the people who don't watch I hang around with are cool with it.

I don't lead a double life nor do I walk around with a fake WWE title around my waist. Perfect balance I beleive.

· Registered
4,308 Posts
no im actually proud to be a fan. i dont talk about it much simply because not many people watch it and if they do they are uber marks anyway.

· Blaze is Elite
3,326 Posts
Pretty much anyone and everyone who knows me knows I watch it and don't care hell I've gotten a few people into wrestling so its all good. No need to hide it because if friends or anyone can't expect you for who you are and what you watch and what you like yada yada so on and so on etc etc haha then tbh they not worth your time. So I don't hide it nah.

· Registered
75 Posts
I don't hide it, nor do I advertise it. Theres loads of stuff I watch on TV and I don't go around talking to people about that either.

· Registered
6,303 Posts
I'm an old man (29) compared to most of you, and it's amazing how much things have changed in my lifetime.

When I was 12 (1993), my family sat together and watched WrestleMania IX live.

When I was 15 (1996), MANY people were wearing WWE shirts to school.

In college, a group of my friends and I would watch Raw and Smackdown in the lounge of our dorm. We even had about 25 people over to watch WrestleMania XX.

Now, I don't know anyone who watches it. My wife plays on the Internet while I watch, but she actually knows all the wrestlers and enjoys commenting on the absurdity of it all. I usually watch it while she's still at work because there are so many cringe-worthy moments. She's asked me several times why I still watch it, and it's sometimes hard to come up with an answer.

I've also gotten a few "WTF?" comments when friends are over and see a WWE show on my DVR list.

· Registered
1,839 Posts
I watch it and I'm totally unashamed about it. Maybe its because I'm at an age now where peer pressure isn't an issue, but my view is that it entertains me and if anybody wants to criticize me for watching it, then they can kiss my arse!

WWE is great. Its something I can sit down and enjoy with my kids and even my missus is getting into it as well and she is starting to watch it with us.

· #WWELogic
4,372 Posts
I know, it seems like everyone used to watch it, but now its like everyone is against you.
Can u blame them? After years of watching an eye poping, shocking, action paked male soap opera filled with chair shots, blood, swearing, puppies, kissing, loud rock music, wrestling ect.

Now you watch that same title program & what do you get? Gentel cuss words like (Poopy/butt/sucks ect), there is no room for blood self-inflicted or not, in fact a match must be stopped to clean up a cut & if you do bleed WWE.com will photoshop their pics to take all that nasty blood away, then instead of puppies around the ring, a little person has become a FOUCAL point of WWE programing to give the younger fans a feeling of "fun & excitment", no longer is it "sports entertainment" just "entertainment" with no regard for the skill & greatness a wrestling match used to offer and to top it all off no longer is an anti authority, beer drinking, tougest SOB is no longer the "model" of a face the company. Nope now its a sweet white/rapper do-gooder who wears bright organge & purple shirts. Think a crossing guard meets Barney in terms of color sceem, he tells everyone "never give up, never quit" which is what his oppoants must do when they face this monster...I mean "hero".

Yes if any of my family saw me go from "adult" prgraming to a "childrens" telvision show she propbly would be right to wonder about me at least until they saw the "guest host" of the show is someone they know & then would join me for a "family" show as is the WWE.

Quick question, wrestling used to have a romanic feel to some of their story lines Savage/Elizabith, Matt/Lita, Lita/Edge ect. When was the last time you saw kissing on WWE TV? I mean an atcual kiss, what is the WWE Universe afraid of cathcing "cooties"?

Stay Frosty

· Registered
3,895 Posts
I only say I watch it if asked about it, but no-one outside of a close circle of friends and family (suppose that this is the same with everyone else?) really knows I watch it. I just avoid talking about it because,
a) No-one wathces it where I come from and it's 'fake and gay'
b) If I reference it people kind of look down on it and shrug. I just stick to the popular stuff that people talk about, like Football for example.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,166 Posts
Why would you hide your personality to anyone, least of all your friends, who supposedly accept you for who you are, I mean that's what friends do right?
I openly admit I watch pro-wrestling to anyone, all of my friends look down on it despite watching it themselves earlier on in life. When I'm posed with the oh so generic "why do you watch it" or "you know it's fake right?", I generally just say "probably the same reason you watch Eastenders /other random soap/drama".

I've said this before, WWE is just a soap opera where instead of ending feuds and storylines by blabbering on like retards, the get in the ring and "fight".

· Ambrose & Cesaro 'nuff said!
2,118 Posts
No, anyone that has problem with it, is there problem. People have asked why I watch it and laugh sometimes, but I answer "this is Eastenders (UK soap opera) with chair shots". In fact I watched Royal Rumble live in the pub with friends, my friends laughed when I suggested it but they all had a good time. I also met one or two other fans that night too, who were all watching No Way Out together, so why hide something you enjoy I say?

21 - 40 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.