Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No, never.

Votes: 3 15.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Punk cut his signature promo back in 2011, we have seen a lot more "shoot" promos, from virtually everyone. Punk, Heyman, Triple H, even the commentators have acknowledged kayfabe pretty much. Do you like it?

For example, if Punk and Ziggler were feuding and Punk said something about how Ziggler was in Spirit Squad back in the day, would you be a fan of it?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Worked well recently with Cena shooting on Orton before Cena went into his usual "southern black preacher" mode.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes, but it can't be done on any sort of regular basis. In my opinion most of the time it really doesn't work well though.
Yeah I was thinking, at the moment, it's cool but when you think about what it does to the guy being "shooted" on, it ruins their credibility.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
'Shoot' promos are overrated.

Let's see you cut a classic character-based promo that's within the confines of kayfabe which everyone else has to work with. Far harder to stand out from the rest that way than when you're given leeway to do what 99% of the other guys aren't allowed to.

Give me the likes Jake Roberts' 'Wallowing in the muck of Avarice' stuff on the Million Dollar Man (not Theodore Wills) over 'This is Phil Brooks talking to Paul Levesque' any day.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I would like real behind the scenes/RL things incorporated into some promos and storylines. Not necessarily one off shoot promos, but just another layer to some feuds and characters.

Things like the situation with Del Rio and Sin Cara. The dislocated finger, not the alleged gun incident. lol

Del Rio going off about how Sin Cara is a quitter and such. Just using that as an example as I don't really care for either of them. I don't think the WWE does things like this enough.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
For example, if Punk and Ziggler were feuding and Punk said something about how Ziggler was in Spirit Squad back in the day, would you be a fan of it?
I don't see him directly saying that, but I can see him being like "Ziggler, you have enough spirit to form your own squad." or something like that lol.

As for the "shoot" comments...I don't mind it, as long as they don't use it all the time. Or use it to refer to peoples real names and stuff. Does get awkward sometimes when you randomly hear people start using real names.

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

Punk's famous Pipebomb is a great example of how it worked. It basically revitalized Punk's character & career and gave him what he needed to fit into the main event scene, and the comments were translated into the storyline beautifully.

But comments like Cena's rant on Orton this week on Raw didn't make any sense. So Orton is lazy and didn't reach his full potential? That sounds like a shoot comment, but within kayfabe it makes absolutely no sense because Orton has been World Champion like a bazillion times, so how has he not lived up to his potential?

Remember that episode of Futurama where Bender met God and God told him you have to do things with a light touch to make people think you haven't done anything at all? Well, lets apply that to shoot comments in wrestling. If it is too scripted and too reigned in, then the wrestler's lose their personalities to bland writing. Do it too much, and you betray the story being told. Again, it is about that balance. A light touch to make the fans buy it and give them something exciting to invest in but keeping it within the framework of the story that has been told.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
But comments like Cena's rant on Orton this week on Raw didn't make any sense. So Orton is lazy and didn't reach his full potential? That sounds like a shoot comment, but within kayfabe it makes absolutely no sense because Orton has been World Champion like a bazillion times, so how has he not lived up to his potential?
Well, Orton has been given help by the Corporation/Authorities (whatever they are called) so it made perfect sense imo.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Shooting should be done in very rare occasions. Punk shoot was awesome of course, but it started this "reality era" what is really not good for business. If we watch movies, do we really want to hear how scripted it is. It is also a cheap trick to get face over. That is what Cena has been doing recently.

Biggest problem I had with DB and authority feud was this A and B+ thing. If we are talking about real sports, shouldnt the only thing that matters be, how good of a wrestler you are? WWE is cutting their own leggs underneath them with this sports entertainer garbage. Just treat it as a sport, like you used to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts