Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power Metal is based on a lot of more melodic Hard Rock and Heavy Metal that I am a fan of. I don't know a lot about Power Metal but I do like some of the more known bands such as Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Demons & Wizards, and Iced Earth(if they are considered Power Metal).

·
Devil's Blood
3,376 Posts
Not at all. Power metal is about some of the lamest lyrically (and I love black metal) and tends to be guitar wanking at its finest.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Power metal is great to get newbies into metal, since it's rather melodic and harmless. As a kid I liked Sonata Arctica and Nightwish, for example. But overall, I don't care much for it. It's just TOO cheesy and gets tiresome quickly. Not to mention it lacks the aggression and adrenaline that's present in mos metal sub-genres. That being said, I do like Blind Guardian a lot and Rhapsody used to be so great.

Not at all. Power metal is about some of the lamest lyrically (and I love black metal) and tends to be guitar wanking at its finest.
Tbh, I don't really pay attention to black metal lyrics :lol. Lyrics really aren't the most important part of BM. While im PM the vocals and the instruments are so clean that you're forced to put up with the lyrics whether you like it or not. But yes, PM is the "geek" part of metal music.

·
24,250 Posts
Not a fan of it, honestly. I used to like it more years ago but these days not so much. I like singers who happen to be in power metal bands like Simone Simons and Floor Jansen and I also enjoy some Symphony X but that's really about it.

When it comes to metal I mostly listen to black, death, doom and any combination between them.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Yes. I would rather listen to that than what passes as Metal on radio right now.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
You mean you don't like this quality hard shit right here?

Emphasis on shit. Actual shit.
Yeah. My god, did FFDP turn to crap. Lets not get into the amount of covers they do. Even long runners like Godsmack turned to pop radio shit.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
To an extent. But not as much as I feel like I should considering Power Metal influencers Iron Maiden are my 2nd favorite band of all time. Plus I have a lot of love for the likes of Dio, Rainbow, Manowar, early Europe, etc. I also think there is no such thing as too over the top/bombastic. So I always figured Power Metal would be right up my alley. Yet it hasn't really turned out that way. I'm not a big fan of the flowery singers or excessive guitar wankery.

On the other hand, Sabaton is easily my favorite musical discovery of the last decade, and Powerwolf isn't too far behind them. Falconer also has some bangers and I've recently gotten into another power metal band called Wuthering Heights.

So even though I may only be 50/50 on Power Metal I'll still take it over the aural atrocities of Death & Black Metal every day of the week :lol

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
To an extent. But not as much as I feel like I should considering Power Metal influencers Iron Maiden are my 2nd favorite band of all time. Plus I have a lot of love for the likes of Dio, Rainbow, Manowar, early Europe, etc. I also think there is no such thing as too over the top/bombastic. So I always figured Power Metal would be right up my alley. Yet it hasn't really turned out that way. I'm not a big fan of the flowery singers or excessive guitar wankery.

On the other hand, Sabaton is easily my favorite musical discovery of the last decade, and Powerwolf isn't too far behind them. Falconer also has some bangers and I've recently gotten into another power metal band called Wuthering Heights.

So even though I may only be 50/50 on Power Metal I'll still take it over the aural atrocities of Death & Black Metal every day of the week :lol
Good on you dude.

Look up a band called Gloryhammer. They are the most epic cheesy band I have ever seen

Reactions: ByTor

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Now here's a topic I love talking about. Much of my post-teen life was going to Blind Guardian concerts ritualistically every year. These days it's less, since I've sung enough BG songs that sometimes I need to give my brain a break.

My house chore days are filled on the occasion, done over the sounds of Helloween, Gamma Ray, Avantasia, and Edguy. Along with Hammerfall, Sabaton (especially Primo Victoria and Attero Dominatus), old Falconer, Manowar, Stratovarius, Within Temptation, Iced Earth (especially around mid-era), Hibria, Nevermore (older albums), Symphony X, Majesty, Evergrey, Nightwish, Rhapsody Of Fire and anything Luca Turilli involved. And too many more to mention.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Good on you dude.

Look up a band called Gloryhammer. They are the most epic cheesy band I have ever seen
I am familiar with Gloryhammer. Angus McFife is a classic. I am also a pretty big fan of Christopher Bowes other band, Alestorm.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Power Metal is based on a lot of more melodic Hard Rock and Heavy Metal that I am a fan of. I don't know a lot about Power Metal but I do like some of the more known bands such as Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Demons & Wizards, and Iced Earth(if they are considered Power Metal).
That's what I like about power metal as well. Power metal was born out of good 'ol fashioned heavy and speed metal. I love a lot of the classics and some of the modern bands that stick towards the genres roots. Unfortunately, a lot of bands these days tend to forget to write any interesting riffs, keyboards and vocals damn near drown out the guitars, and production is often sterile.

That can be true in a lot of cases, but power metal at its best is actually more trve than 90% of black metal, so fite me :)

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
DragonForce is a guilty pleasure of mines. I would not say I love Power Metal but I can appreciate the guitar work. I am a fan of operatic vocals in metal.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
It's not one of my favourite sub-genres of metal. I'm more of an NWOBHM/traditional, thrash and death fan. But some power metal is nice. Why don't I like it as much as other sub-genres of metal, you ask? I dunno, a bit too cheesy at times? It's hard to explain but PM is quite hit and miss for me.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,095 Posts
I struggled to get into it for a long while even when I was into most all other Metal sub-genres but it was Hammerfall who finally won me over. I wouldn't call myself a huge fan but occasionally I'll be in the mood for some dragons n' cheese.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts