Wrestling Forum banner

Do you like Davey Richards

3985 61
More specifically do you like him as a singles competitor.

I was a fan of American Wolves, they were put on some of best tag team matches.
Their table match with Steen & Generico was a classic, one of my favorites. Also great matches with GenerationMe.

I'm not an expert at analyzing in-ring talent so others may disagree, Davey Richards' singles matches feel empty, like a string of moves and athleticism than an actual match. He has intensity, agility, technical skill but lacks match psychology.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
6,790 Posts
I am a fan of the wrestler and the man. He's a good guy and a hard worker, the Rocky Balboa of professional wrestling. He just needs his championship strap.

· Masonic!
1,585 Posts
Not a big match.

I have seen him wrestle the same match for a couple of years now.

I like him far better in tags.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts
I've always been a huge fan and he's the probably most 'in form' wrestler in the world right now (it's between him and the guy in my sig IMO).

Some critics say that Davey is a poor man's Benoit but I think we're starting to see a real human quality come out, in Richards, that Benoit might not have really had. Hopefully Davey is around for years to come because it'll be interesting to see if he can eventually manage to woo the more mainstream fans, to the extent that guys like Punk, Dragon and Joe did.

· Registered
80 Posts
I enjoy his work. People seem to nitpick a lot of what he does and if those types of things annoy people, they are not going to be a fan of his. I dont really mind because I barely notice a lot of the criticisms people make about his work.

The Davey/Benoit comparisons are pretty dumb because Davey has openly admitted to being a Dynamite Kid fan and I see the influence in his work.

· Registered
754 Posts
I'm a big fan of Richards and his work. He's extremely athletic, fun to watch and can have a great match with anyone.

I've met the guy before as well and he's extremely laid back and nice. Made me even more of a fan

· Premium Member
146 Posts
I'm a fan of Davey Richards, watching him on TV before I thought he was ok, then I enjoyed his matches with Tyler Black but he blew me away at Wrestlereunion 5 with his great match with TJ Perkins and his solid match with Low Ki and he was nice enough to sign my ROH shirt an all around nice guy

· Registered
3,310 Posts
My main problem with Richards is that he treats every match like it's super important. Of course he main events like every ROH show, so I can't entirely blame him for that, but he's getting predictable and his flaws are getting exposed, just like Tyler Black before him.

He also needs to stop calling people *******.

· Hunter of Invisible Game
69,099 Posts
Not a fan, but you all know this. But I don't hate him either. Thought the American Wolves were a good team and the best option for both Richards and that guy with no fucking personality because they hid each others flaws and worked well together.

Agree with Jawbreaker.

· Celestial Messiah
39,109 Posts
But he's right. Not every match is supposed to be super important. Its like the Kurt Angle finisher argument, you could say the constant finishers and kickouts makes every match super important, but what it really did was devalue the finisher.

· Hunter of Invisible Game
69,099 Posts
One of my biggest gripes with the indies currently is on every show someone has to try and go for an epic somewhere on the card, which on the one hand I can understand because pleasing the fanbase is how they stay in business but I don't need to see a show where half of the matches have 10,000 nearfall spots.

· WF's Real Bad Guy
2,130 Posts
But he's right. Not every match is supposed to be super important. Its like the Kurt Angle finisher argument, you could say the constant finishers and kickouts makes every match super important, but what it really did was devalue the finisher.
I really like Davey Richards but I don't understand the above logic. If wrestling is suppose to be treated like a legit sport with some creditability. Then Why wouldn't a guy treat every match like it's his last. You rarely see top notch MMA fighters or boxers go out there and underestimate their opponent. Unless they don't respect their opponent or their a show-boater.

I'm not saying that there has to be 20,000 near falls in a match either but criticizing a guy for actually taking a realistic approach to a character is unfair in my view.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.