Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems everything in the WWE today is lackluster EXCEPT the Main Event scene. It's so lackluster that its almost as if the WWE is purposely watering down everything just to make the Main Event scene look better. I mean the Tag Division sucks and is non-existent, the Divas division sucks and has always been a piss-break, and the Midcard, while not terrible, could be a WHOLE lot better if given deeper and more interesting storylines.

The WWE has 20 or some odd writers correct? Your telling me you need 20 writers JUST to focus on the Main Event scene? With that many writers employed I really fail to see why it would be so hard to get more of the guys who are stuck in the Midcard a real feud. Could they at least just get them more involved with each other other than just random IC title matches? I mean feuds are what make people care about the wrestlers and if everybody that isn't in the main event scene isn't feuding with each other, then how are you gonna get them over and make people care?

Maybe Vince is just so focused on the Main Event right now that everything else is slipping right under him.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
It makes sure that everyone is expendable, so that if any of them, it has no effect whatsoever.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Its because they are comfortable throwing in any shit they can and there will still be some mentally challenged people who will buy it.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I agree with you. I absolutely hate the way the midcard is treated. I don't even think its a case of the undercard/midcard being watered down, its more that its not even used. Watered down would imply that it gets a quarter of the TV time the mainevent gets, or perhaps they get limited in a promo they do. The fact is that midcard talent doesn't even get used at all apart from a random thrown together match-up that belongs on Superstars (which in some cases happens again there too).

Its no wonder at all as to why midcard talent can never get over in todays WWE. I don't even expect that everyone gets a push, I just want variety in the show, and actually listen to promos being done by guys not named Cena, or anyone else in the mainevent scene. One midcard feud that comes to mind that could have been big was MVP/Miz sometime early last year. I remember for a couple of weeks straight they actually got some promo time and was quite good. It was such a refreshing change from the norm to have a promo by superstars not involved in or around the mainevent.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I do think the mid-card needs more promo time. Some of the feuds are booked poorly tbf, which in turn makes the audience not care for the wrestlers. It doesn't help when the tag division isn't being utilised that much either.

The problem I think is that with the roster being split and having two mid-card title's stops out of the box feuds from happening throughout the course of a year.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
pure talentlessness and lazyness.

·
Premium Member
12,236 Posts
It's called laziness.

The WWE, for years now, has been at the plateau of wrestling. There's no one close to competing with them, nor has there been for a long time. So when you're at the top of the sports entertainment world, and you don't have anybody to push you because you feel they're a threat, you get lazy. People will invest in your product no matter what, simply because it's the most popular one out there.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
IMO the undercard hasn't been watered down wrestling wise, as the undercard seems to be the reason why WWE are putting on great matches lately (the Main Eventers aren't getting the job done see Orton/Barrett series for example).

I do think the WWE is watering down the mid-card storylines. Purposely making them uninteresting, bland so the Main Event scene is the sole focus and stands out the most.

Then there is always the laziness factor, the creative team sucking ass and the fact that Vince doesn't give a fuck about anything other than his major names or his potential major names.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Well I know that Vince used to tell wrestlers to suck in the ring and not be too athletic as not to overshadow Hogan. Infact when Savage and Steamboat stole the show at Wrestlemania 3, they got their ass chewed.

But now, no, I don't think its intentional. Its more like they don't give a shit since they know all you need is a solid main event to sell your show or PPV. Its always been that way. Like in the attitude era, the midcard was disgrace to wrestling. But Austin packed the arenas every night.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
Years ago we got plenty mid-card feuds. Christian/Edge/Jericho/Matt Hardy/Benoit/Show etc. were all involved in storylines that kept them interesting.

Fast forward to 2010 and the Big Show, Morrison and Jericho aren't given ANY feuds, they are left to random occurances and casually being thrown into the Main Event when a spot breaks free, and when they are brought back to fight for the title, nobody gives a fuck because they haven't done anything for months.

It seriously must be hard for the WWE to say, here you Jericho, you're now feuding with Morrison. The feud will go for a month, go out and cut a promo, then attack Morrison later on in a night. No, we don't get this. Unless the title is a central factor we don't see much of this at ALL.

The Sheamus/Morrison feud was just them having matches over and over again. I hardly call that a feud, I'd call it more of a rivalry of one-upsmanship, but they could have made the feud so much better by handing Sheamus the mic, and actually instigating the fight out of Morrison.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Oh I agree, I miss feuds. Like Danielson at the moment. He hasn't had an actual feud since he took doWn mizzy. Ever since then he's just been wrestling random people and making them tap.

There is a large lack of hate in wrestling today.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Years ago we got plenty mid-card feuds. Christian/Edge/Jericho/Matt Hardy/Benoit/Show etc. were all involved in storylines that kept them interesting.

Fast forward to 2010 and the Big Show, Morrison and Jericho aren't given ANY feuds, they are left to random occurances and casually being thrown into the Main Event when a spot breaks free, and when they are brought back to fight for the title, nobody gives a fuck because they haven't done anything for months.

It seriously must be hard for the WWE to say, here you Jericho, you're now feuding with Morrison. The feud will go for a month, go out and cut a promo, then attack Morrison later on in a night. No, we don't get this. Unless the title is a central factor we don't see much of this at ALL.

The Sheamus/Morrison feud was just them having matches over and over again. I hardly call that a feud, I'd call it more of a rivalry of one-upsmanship, but they could have made the feud so much better by handing Sheamus the mic, and actually instigating the fight out of Morrison.
Sure it was a feud,dont you remember how riveting the cause of it was?Morrison attacked Sheamus because he's a bully.Awesome,i know

·
Registered
255 Posts
They should find some good midcard feuds and keep them going for longer. Provided they stay fresh.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
As people have said, it's lazyness. There's so much potential for a great midcard though, seems to be that the Smackdown midcard is trying to get somewhere though...

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It is called building a show. Better doing this than burning out the crowd.
If the crowd gets burned out, so what? That would just force the Main Eventers to step up their game so overall at the end of the day all the wrestlers are giving their all and we the fans get a much better show.

I understand that the undercard will always be less focused on to some degree because it isn't the main event but completely neutering it isn't good at the same time. I mean I feel sorry for the people who pay their hard earned money to watch a show with only 1 real division to watch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts