Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Super Nexus 64
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that has always bugged me. I seriously tried very hard to find out what people find so impressive about CM Punk's wrestling ability. Mind you this is not a bash thread, but simply just me wanting to know what you guys see so impressive about cm punk matches. I actually was a fan or punk until about a few years ago until I paid attention to his matches. I like the mans gimmick, entrance and promos but when he wrestles I almost want to turn. Its weird because I'm a BIG fan ot technical wrestlers such as Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Chris Jericho, Claudio Castagnoli and Shelton Benjamin just to name of few. I'm also a fan of ROH and CHIKARA, but punk isn't a standout in ring talent for me. Again this is not a bash thread to his marks on here I just wanted to know why do enjoy watching CM Punk wrestle and whether or not if I'm the only one who feels this way?

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
People delude themselves nto thinking that Punk's good in the ring simply because he was in the indies. Usually, those guys are good wrestlers. However, people don't want to admit that Punk is worse then some greens out of FCW

ps: However, he's not bad. Not great, but not bad either. He has great matches with opponents who are good in the ring (ie Bryan)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Punk ring work is somewhat overrated same With Y2J(one of my fav 5 all time) They can both have great matches both is not as great as much people say.

Punk has had great matches like the ones with Jeff hardy, but his ring work is sometimes sloppy.

·
Registered
281 Posts
He is just slightly better than Cena.

You see he worked good when opposing Ziggler, but so lame versus Mark Henry last week.

It's different like Daniel Bryan always looked good regardless the opponent.

·
Asuka
96,571 Posts
I enjoy watching him wrestle in the same way I enjoy watching any of my favourites wrestle, regardless of how good or bad they are. If he's in a match, I'm emotionally engaged and want to see him pick up the win just because I like him. Do I enjoy it in the sense that they're good quality matches like you get with Daniel Bryan or Christian or Del Rio? Hell no, his in ring work really isn't that good, at all. You can't expect anything out of them, I knew Punk and Jericho were gonna disappoint everybody at Mania who were calling it this generation's Steamboat vs Savage, because Punk just can't deliver that level of performance.

·
Wog Piece of Shit
1,125 Posts
Punk has been having the best matches lately, like I keep saying. Punk vs Bryan on SD, Punk vs Ziggler (champion on champion match from raw last year, and MOTY imo) and Punk vs Jericho WM 28 (MOTN). I'm not really a fan of him but he can work a great match. Those 4 I mentioned are the top 4 In ring talents of the current roster.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No, I don't enjoy him in the ring. As a technical wrestler, he is terrible and overrated. If you want to watch REAL technical wrestlers, go watch people like Kurt Angle, Shawn Michael, Bret Hart, Ricky, Ric Flair,Daniel Bryan and even William Regal is better technical wrestler than CM Punk.

·
Super Nexus 64
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Punk ring work is somewhat overrated same With Y2J(one of my fav 5 all time) They can both have great matches both is not as great as much people say.

Punk has had great matches like the ones with Jeff hardy, but his ring work is sometimes sloppy.
First: do you mean new y2j or lionheart? Because wcw Jericho was great.
second: I also noticed that he can get sloppy on some move leading to botches. To people who don't believe look up extremely botchy wrestling on youtube.

·
Super Nexus 64
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Punk has been having the best matches lately, like I keep saying. Punk vs Bryan on SD, Punk vs Ziggler (champion on champion match from raw last year, and MOTY imo) and Punk vs Jericho WM 28 (MOTN). I'm not really a fan of him but he can work a great match. Those 4 I mentioned are the top 4 In ring talents of the current roster.
But this just solidfies a point someone on this thread made about punk only putting on great matches against great in ring talents.

·
Wog Piece of Shit
1,125 Posts
But this just solidfies a point someone on this thread made about punk only putting on great matches against great in ring talents.
I can agree with this statement BUT he is not bad like people on here like to make out. If he was that bad he wouldn't be putting on top tier matches no matter who the talent was. Also he has been carrying Mark Henry to tolerable matches on Raw. I'm not even a Punk fan but his matches have been excellent lately. Also out of the three matches I listed in my previous post he is the one constant. For a truly excellent match both talents need to be great and he has been delivering so my answer is Yes I enjoy watching him wrestle.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
Wait you stopped being a fan of CM Punk due to his awkward WWE style? that shouldn’t stop you being a fan of someone. He is still great in every other aspect in wrestling but yes it does feel very weird to watch him wrestle most of the time. I honestly don’t enjoy his wrestling matches or skipped through them if he is not facing anyone important. I’d never been too fond of his in-ring ability but more attached to his character anyway.

Some people just don't get the WWE style down pack like others do, hell my favorite wrestler was average in the ring at best during his time in WWE but great in Japan cause he fit that style more better.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
He doesn't execute moves as smoothly as I'd like him to sometimes but the man is a very good at implementing psychology into his matches. Punk knows how to structure a match that smartly builds from beginning to the end. He's also a great seller which makes his opponents look strong and gets the crowds into his comebacks. Punk also remembers to sell the damage he's taken throughout the match up to the finish. I appreciate that he never throws away the significance of a match's story. So yes, I very much enjoy watching CM Punk wrestle. Ever since Capital Punishment of last year he has delivered the goods in the ring at a stellar rate.

·
Super Nexus 64
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with this statement BUT he is not bad like people on here like to make out. If he was that bad he wouldn't be putting on top tier matches no matter who the talent was. Also he has been carrying Mark Henry to tolerable matches on Raw. I'm not even a Punk fan but his matches have been excellent lately. Also out of the three matches I listed in my previous post he is the one constant.
Never said he was bad. I respect the man. I just said I'm not that impressed when he wrestled. I thought it was just me because or all of the punk worship on the forum.

·
Super Nexus 64
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wait you stopped being a fan of CM Punk due to his awkward WWE style? that shouldn’t stop you being a fan of someone. He is still great in every other aspect in wrestling but yes it does feel very weird to watch him wrestle most of the time. I honestly don’t enjoy his wrestling matches or skipped through them if he is not facing anyone important. I’d never been too fond of his in-ring ability but more attached to his character anyway.

Some people just don't get the WWE style down pack like others do, hell my favorite wrestler was average in the ring at best during his time in WWE but great in Japan cause he fit that style more better.
Its not his wwe style that stopped me from being a fan but me actually realising that he wasn't all that great as I thought he was. When I recently looked back at his roh matches he still didnt impress me. I don't get a mouth dropping moment from any of his matches. I was more of a fan of him rather than his in ring output.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Both Punk & Jericho sloppy wrestlers who think they are wrestling gods, when they are just average.

Both couldn't even put together a great match at WM given all the time in the world - working together LMAO.

I knew it was going to be shit when he yelled out your sister, mother, father to get CM Punk to attack him, with the worst acting in the world. The set the pace for a semi-cringy match.

·
Super Nexus 64
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jericho is past his prime. Of course it wasn't going to live up to the hype.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
No, I don't enjoy him in the ring. As a technical wrestler, he is terrible and overrated. If you want to watch REAL technical wrestlers, go watch people like Kurt Angle, Shawn Michael, Bret Hart, Ricky, Ric Flair,Daniel Bryan and even William Regal is better technical wrestler than CM Punk.
Of course he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the most technical out of everyone you listed.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts