Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Pissing in the Mainstream
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice people love posting Dirt sheet rumors that usually end up being true, so my question is: Do you not like being surprised anymore? Whats the point of watching if you already know whats going to happen?
I remember a few years ago coming on here the morning of a survivor series and all I read was "Sting will make his first WWE appearance tonight" which completely ruined the ppv for me.

This isn't a shot at those who like to know before it happens, I am just trying to understand why you like the surprise to be ruined?

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I only get angry about spoilers on things I care about. The less I care about something, the more I actively seek the spoilers. With WWE I peek sometimes, with Star Wars Plan IX I hunt them down, with Avengers 4 I am actively shutting them out by all means available. It all depends on the situation.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts
More often than not, alleged spoilers are nothing more than speculation, usually from Douchebag Dave, so they don't bother me.

Aside from that, what many see as 'spoilers' are really just obvious storytelling points that most of us can conjure up, like we can see where a certain story will go next. It's like this Ronda/Becky/Charlotte drama; most of us know where this is headed and Mania is still almost two full months away.

It comes down to people being pretty frustrating in their human nature; we want to know everything, yet we also wanna be surprised.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,880 Posts
I don't read spoilers for any TV show or movie I like or ever plan on seeing.

Think about it: if you care so much about a show that you want to know what is going to happen, wouldn't you want to...you know...WATCH IT?!?

The only time reading spoilers makes a modicum of sense is if you know for certain you won't have time or the ability to watch a certain show and never plan on going back and catching up. That's it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes. For movies for example, my brother or someone already told me the story and ending, I was even more excited to watch the film. For games, I download and seek the most comprehensive FAQ (typically the larger file sizes) and I want to read the story via the author's run. It actually helps me to avoid getting stuck and bored and stiff-necked. For COD for example, I already read the many gamers' love and hateful reactions, endings, analyses and theories, before I even got the game. For boxing I read round-by-round updates in websites before the broadcast even has the chance to air. And so for WWE and wrestling, likewise, and I also visit this forum to see the results and the likes and dislikes of the posters before I even see the show. I just can't wait.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I didn't need Meltzer to tell me Ronda/Becky/Charlotte was happening. I saw it myself from Survivor Series onwards. In fact, I knew they were doing a triple threat when BIG DAVE was still saying Ronda/Becky in a singles and Ronda/Charlotte at Rumble.

And no, I kinda like being surprised. Yet I still look for the spoilers fpalm

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,413 Posts
I don't care about spoilers because almost nothing happens in the WWE anymore. Same stale wrestlers in the same spots doing the same angles over and over again. Who cares about spoilers when the show is more predictable than an episode of Sesame Street

·
Registered
103 Posts
The element of surprise is still one of the main reasons I watch, so no. Even though it's been more predictable lately, I'd still rather find out for myself..and I never actively seek out spoilers though it's tough to avoid online. The only info I usually seek out is in regards to injuries or stuff that goes on behind the scenes (not storyline-related).

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,398 Posts
I hate it. :deandre

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,116 Posts
Back in the day, I'd get excited about spoilers.

Tazz is coming to WWE? Ravens going to be at this PPV? Awesome.

But spoilers are pretty pointless in modern day WWE as you can't really spoil something that's usually not worth it. Though I am still amazed they got away with Shane returning without a single spoiler.

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
Hard to avoid them if you come online. So many dirtsheets and comments made you're bound to hear something or another. That dude the hound gets spoilers for RAW sometimes though and if RAW looks shit I'll ask for them so I don't waste my time.

·
Pissing in the Mainstream
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back in the day, I'd get excited about spoilers.

Tazz is coming to WWE? Ravens going to be at this PPV? Awesome.

But spoilers are pretty pointless in modern day WWE as you can't really spoil something that's usually not worth it. Though I am still amazed they got away with Shane returning without a single spoiler.
I 100% agree with you on this statement. When I was a teenager I was dying to know who was coming to WWF. But today’s wrestling is either very predictable or maybe it’s not entertaining enough for me to dig around and figure out who is fighting who or who is showing up in what organization.

But 90’s/2000’s was such an exciting time especially during the Monday night wars. There was definitely a long period of time where there was an excitement about who is going to switch brands next. I guess without a WCW like competititor it’s not as exciting

To me, wrestling isn't worth caring about spoilers. The stories aren't worth anything, so they're not worth not spoiling. If anything, spoilers help, because it makes me know if I want to see it.
Hahaha, brutal but honest and very very true.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
What is there to spoil? There's like 2 long-term planned storylines per year, everything else is chook lotto by the week.

Lately, I think half of what they write is in response to the dirtsheets anyway, so it's interesting to try and predict if they're going to change the direction of something in response to what they "report".

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I avoid spoilers for things like mania usually because I want to watch it myself but thats about it. I dont watch the product regularly enough to really care about spoilers, im not constantly waiting for the next episode because wwe's storytelling is basically non existent anyway. They give me no reason to tune in to it live or anything.

raw is just made up of pointless matches and forgettable promos that probably wont link into anything happening on the next week's episode.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
To me, wrestling isn't worth caring about spoilers. The stories aren't worth anything, so they're not worth not spoiling. If anything, spoilers help, because it makes me know if I want to see it.
I'm the same here with spoilers. The worse/less interesting the happens are at a given time the more likely I am to read/look for spoilers.

Though the last few years the WWE has been so awful you haven't really needed spoilers to know what was going to happen with major storylines :lmao

1 - 20 of 34 Posts