Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to undermine Triple H's accomplishments at all, but I'm just curious:

Is it acceptable to say that Triple H is in the same "tier" as Edge, Chris Jericho, Rob Van Dam, Kurt Angle, Booker T, Kane, Rey Mysterio etc? Some of the greatest to ever strap up the boots, but due to factors beyond their contol fall short to the otherworldly talent of the GOATs such as Undertaker, HBK, Flair, Hart, Hogan, Austin, Rock etc?

Or has his longevity pushed him closer to that transcendent level?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
No. And the reason is he kept the ship afloat. When all the top stars was out he was the only one left to hold credibility. Shawn goes out with a back injury and HHH takes over DX. Honestly, he turned something that was hot of 6 months and it ran for about another 3 years. Had DX stopped or tanked after Shawn's injury they wouldn't even bother bringing it back with Shawn later. Undertaker and Austin go out. Triple H is able to handle the role as top heel. The Rock and Austin leave. Triple H held Raw together with Evolution.

For every bad thing said about Triple H. How he only got there because he was carrying Shawn's bags. How he only stayed on top because he was on top of Stephanie it doesn't matter to me because when they gave him the ball he didn't fumble. You can say he held guys back. Ok, he's put a ton of people over too.

You could say he should've lost to Kane or RVD or Booker, but then again the belt wasn't even two years old. He made the belt looks legit and when he finally gave it to Batista it meant something.

He may not have been the guy, but when the guys weren't there he looked like the guy.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
As far as drawing power goes, I look at HHH and compare him to Savage more than anyone. In his prime, he was always behind bigger stars so it is hard to measure his true ability here. His time on top was short as he was replaced by Cena pretty quickly.

As far as overall, I would say that his best years were spent in a supporting cast role. Right now he is sort of having to be the guy with Cena out, but that doesn't trump all the years he spent behind bigger stars.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I'd put him above jericho, edge and RVD, And Below HBK and Taker. Taker wasn't in as many 'main events' as HHH, but his 'special attraction' legacy stands on its own and his popularity (which is really the most important factor) is higher.

I'd stick HHH in the Bret/Angle/Foley area like top 15 biggest stars of all time, borderline top 10

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
In the last 30 years
Tier 1:Hogan,Austin,Rock
Tier 2:Shawn,HHH,Taker
Tier 3:Edge,Jericho etc
I agree with Meltzer on a lot, but that list lost all credibility as soon as I saw HHH as a bigger draw then Austin and Rock

·
Banned
2,280 Posts
I'm not trying to undermine Triple H's accomplishments at all, but I'm just curious:

Is it acceptable to say that Triple H is in the same "tier" as Edge, Chris Jericho, Rob Van Dam, Kurt Angle, Booker T, Kane, Rey Mysterio etc? Some of the greatest to ever strap up the boots, but due to factors beyond their contol fall short to the otherworldly talent of the GOATs such as Undertaker, HBK, Flair, Hart, Hogan, Austin, Rock etc?

Or has his longevity pushed him closer to that transcendent level?
:drake1 Taker tho?

If Triple H isn't in the upper echelon, how the hell is Undertaker. I swear man, why do you guys make me talk like this about Taker when I like him?

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
As far as drawing power goes, I look at HHH and compare him to Savage more than anyone. In his prime, he was always behind bigger stars so it is hard to measure his true ability here. His time on top was short as he was replaced by Cena pretty quickly.
You must really like Randy Savage.

HHH was the top guy for the flagship Raw during Ruthless Aggression Era.HHH was able to mainevent a PPV with Mick Foley when The Rock was on the same roster.Randy Savage was the number 2 guy for a very short time.He was easily surpassed by Ultimate Warrior.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
Triple H is definitely above guys like Kurt Angle, Booker T., Edge, Chris Jericho, RVD, Rey Mysterio, Kane, Bret Hart, Mick Foley, etc. He isn't on the same level of a Hogan, Austin, Rock or even Cena but he's at least on the same level of a Batista, Undertaker and Shawn Michaels. He's one of the biggest stars in WWF/E history, and especially of the past twenty years.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
You must really like Randy Savage.

HHH was the top guy for the flagship Raw during Ruthless Aggression Era.HHH was able to mainevent a PPV with Mick Foley when The Rock was on the same roster.Randy Savage was the number 2 guy for a very short time.He was easily surpassed by Ultimate Warrior.
I would say Savage was the number 2 guy from the time the Mega Powers formed to RR 90. IMO, that is when Warrior truly surpassed him. That is not too far off of being 2 years. Both Savage and HHH spent a portion of their prime as the number 3 guy.

You have to look at how different it was back then as far as the Main Event. WWE learned from their mistakes and spread the main event around more in AE. Foley or HHH would have never seen main event time in Hogan's era.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Foley or HHH would have never seen main event time in Hogan's era.
It's a hypothetical statement and your opinion.

Randy Savage was the number 2 guy from the time Andre became a semi-retired wrestler and Warrior was rising up the ranks.Triple H was the number 1 heel in a roster that included Austin,Rock,Vince,Shawn,Foley and Taker.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Longevity
Our thinking on a topic like this differs greatly. Longevity means nothing to me. I consider the draw Austin was in 98-99 to trump anything HHH ever did. I guess it is like comparing Ruth to Aaron. Sure Aaron had more home runs, but look at how many more years and at bats it took him to do it.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
It's a hypothetical statement and your opinion.

Randy Savage was the number 2 guy from the time Andre became a semi-retired wrestler and Warrior was rising up the ranks.Triple H was the number 1 heel in a roster that included Austin,Rock,Vince,Shawn,Foley and Taker.
Yes, it is my opinion, but I seriously doubt you will find many people THAT WERE THERE that will disagree with me.

I know you hold a low opinion of the mid card heels of the 80's but I cannot see HHH ever being higher than the number 3 heel in those days. I know you see him as the GOAT heel, but a lot of the longevity comes from Stephanie booking. He was the top wrestler heel because if you include Vince he was number 2. Shawn was not a heel after his comeback except against Hogan, Taker was top heel during the Ministry days, I can't recall Foley being a heel after 98, but my memory may be off, ROck was so good of a heel that he couldn't turn the fans against him, same to an extent with Austin.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts

Dave Meltzer's list of biggest draws posted in 2008:
1. BRUNO SAMMARTINO
2. HULK HOGAN
3. BOB BACKLUND
4. ARGENTINA ROCCA
5. HHH
6. UNDERTAKER
7. STEVE AUSTIN
8. THE ROCK
9. PEDRO MORALES
10. SHAWN MICHAELS
There is ony one wrestler in that list who spent the majority of his career as a heel.Who said heels can't draw.THE GOAT HEEL

1 - 20 of 156 Posts