Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do, I think to not is criminal. Sure he didn't make it in the "big leagues" (WWE), but that was more so because of politics then anything. The simple fact is that in his prime he was one of the greatest ring technicians ever. The guy could tell a story better then any of WWE's newer current top guys, and most of TNA's current roster. He cemented his status in ECW, gave Goldberg and DDP the best matches of their careers in WCW, helped make TNA relevant....

Hell, the guy still manages to look great in the ring despite being in a squash match against Undertaker in WWE.

And that's just the light version of his ability and accomplishments, the guy should be mentioned with the likes of Ric Flair & Hogan, he's an underrated legend. He's like the one classic album you have that nobody else ever heard of but you know shits on the majority of music that has entered your eardrums.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
No, not really. Although I didn't watch the origional ECW...

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
No I don't see him as a legend at all, I'm sure that there's people who were huge ECW marks back in the day who think the world of him. But my memory of him is him leading the flock in WCW and all o them jobbing out to Goldberg so he could win the US strap.

Not that he wasn't good in WCW, he just wasn't legendery.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
He is legendary in a certain way- I think all of the 8-10 main ECW stars are somewhat legendary because of their contributions to what wrestling became during its (most likely) all-time greatest mainstream period, and will always be remebered.

But as far as a hogan/Flair type legend? No way. You have those two, Rock, Austin, Andre The Giant, and maybe honorable mention to Undertaker, Savage and Sting. Thats about all I can think of for that Super mainstream legendary status.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
He sure as hell has legendary promos. Raven IMO was the best ECW had to offer and one of the most underrated guys before he got fat. He also has some legendary shoot interviews under his belt too, so yeah.

Raven vs. Sting
Raven vs. Undertaker

Thouse would have been godly feuds in the late 90's IMO.

·
Registered
260 Posts
depends on what level we're talking about.
he's definitely a legend in ecw. maybe in tna too, as his jump to tna meant a lot for the company at the time, but tna may be too young to have legends yet.
wwe and wcw? no, unfortunately wrong place, wrong time in both cases.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
He might not be a legend in the same regards of the best of all time but from what I saw of him I'd put him in the same category of a Stan Hansen or Terry Gordy who to me are two of the greatest of all time but not the biggest names ever. A guy that had the look of a wrestler and was a great wrestler in his non lazy style set of matches but always was great at psychology and telling a story in the ring no matter what, one of the greatest characters and mic skills I've ever seen.

If I could put him in the same category as Hansen or Gordy then he's a legend for sure. Just because Hogan, Hart, Andre The Giant and The Undertaker are some peoples ideas of legends doesn't mean he's not a legend. Big difference between a legend and a greatest of all time in the WWE or the wrestling business in general. Too many people say he's in their top ten of all time from fans I've heard from on the internet for me to not consider him one of the best myself. He's somebody people will remember in 30 years from now probably.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
He is a legend, whether people say otherwise.

No one person has had such talent and potential and been completely treated like yet another hardcore idiot coming out from ECW.

There is a reason why the Raven character is more interesting than 99% of the "characters" in wrestling nowadays.

He's definitely in the top 10 mic workers of all time, he had the look, the character, the in ring ability. Everything. He's always the first guy I think of when someone mentions either a WCW or WWE fuckup.

He's a legend in the sense that no one will come to his level of ability, and still be regarded as a jobber and waste of space on a roster. At least I hope not.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
I feel that Raven deserves alot of respect for what his career was in ECW. Ask Paul E. He's a Creative Genius, and on the Mic he just Oozed Charicter. The Twisted Occultist, going after Sandman's own CHILD! Not everyboddy can pull an angle like that off, but he did.

In ring he seems solid, not the best, but not the worst.

Behind the scenes is where he shines, he has a perfect mind for wrestling.

so yeah, career wise? Mmmm, meh...outside of ECW, no.

But Mic/char/Mind wise...all day long.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
He is a legend, whether people say otherwise.

No one person has had such talent and potential and been completely treated like yet another hardcore idiot coming out from ECW.

There is a reason why the Raven character is more interesting than 99% of the "characters" in wrestling nowadays.

He's definitely in the top 10 mic workers of all time, he had the look, the character, the in ring ability. Everything. He's always the first guy I think of when someone mentions either a WCW or WWE fuckup.

He's a legend in the sense that no one will come to his level of ability, and still be regarded as a jobber and waste of space on a roster. At least I hope not.
fpalm and 90% of this thread thinks otherwise but doesn't count? out of all the times that i've heard about legends in wrestling i've hardly heard ravens name EVER. Who are your basing your opinion of raven off of?

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
he is far better than people who are considered legends.

in my opinion, this man was one of the finest to ever come into the business. he was incredible with promos, extremely captivating, and he was actually a solid wrestler, and could entertain with just about anyone.

however, he's not a legend. but i would say that's more of the fault of those who booked him than he himself.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Raven is one of only two wrestlers to hold legitimate championships in all four major promotions of this era (ECW, WWF, WCW, TNA). And holding any WCW or ECW title after WWF bought them out doesn't fucking count.

The only other person who can make that claim legitimately is Mick Foley.

That alone makes Raven a legend. Nevermind his great mic skills, incredible creative talent, and his long history of great matches.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts