Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of comments have been made in the IWC that wrestlers who are friends with Triple H get stronger pushes and more opportunities.

Orton, Batista, and Sheamus have been cited as examples of this. But all 3 were valuable to the WWE product at one point or another. If Triple H did try to give them more success, I don't feel it was a whole lot more than what they would have earned fair and square.

What do you think about this?

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts
A lot of comments have been made in the IWC that wrestlers who are friends with Triple H get stronger pushes and more opportunities.

Orton, Batista, and Sheamus have been cited as examples of this. But all 3 were valuable to the WWE product at one point or another. If Triple H did try to give them more success, I don't feel it was a whole lot more than what they would have earned fair and square.

What do you think about this?
Orton would have been pushed no matter what. I do think that Bautista and Sheamus have been given opportunites because of HHH.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
I can't speak for Batista, because I missed his tenure, but I think Sheamus would have been pushed hard no matter what. He's got a presence about him that makes people want to cheer for him. He's a sound wrestler for a big man. He stands out in a lineup of the guys on the roster. He's just been shoehorned into an awkward gimmick.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Probably. But it's the same in any line of work. 'It's not what you know but who you know' and all that.

Key word being 'opportunity' though. If you can't cut it you'll fall away to your rightful level, regardless of who's backing you up.

Unless your name is Ed Leslie.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
To an extent, it's human nature to look out for those you're friends with and help them along. But I also assume that Triple H isn't so big headed that he wouldn't give a guy an opportunity that deserved it, if it's good for the company then obviously it would be stupid to ignore that just to be spiteful.

·
Premium Member
15,552 Posts
Yeah but who doesn't?

In the case of Batista & Sheamus, they were going to get certain opportunities regardless, simply because they have the look that Vince has been craving for over 30 years.

In the case of Orton, I thought the word was him and HHH had heat years ago because Randy was immature? Either way, a 3rd generation superstar who can actually work and looks good, he was going far anyway and only his attitude could have prevented that.

It pays to have friends in high places. Well, it does if your name's not Sean Waltman.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Do you think your boss has favorites? Do you think your teacher played favorites?

Of course.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Funny how people mention Sheamus now, but during the King Sheamus days, nobody ever mentioned any link to HHH at all.

Same with Drew McIntyre. When he was first being pushed, people said it was only cause of HHH. Now look at where McIntyre is. If he gets pushed again, people will say it's only cause of his relationship with HHH......

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Orton wasn't friends with HHH (maybe he is now though), he actually got depushed & Batista replaced him because of his attitude & drug problems, his real big push came years later after he has proven that his problems were behind him.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
Of course. But that type of thing exists in almost any workplace or environment. If you know the right people, then things are naturally gonna go easier for you. Sometimes, it's almost necessary to know the right people just to even get your foot in the door (i.e the movie business.) Lance Storm once wrote a great article called Politics where he said that you almost have to push your own case to upper management to convince them that you're the best person for a push. And just about everyone in a top spot has done this at some point or another.

At the end of the day, if someone isn't talented enough to prove they deserve it, then their push shouldn't be sustained for too long anyway. Guys like Batista and Sheamus had certain tools and qualities that would have gotten them pushed anyway. Curtis Axel has being a 3rd generation superstar (which WWE loves... see Rocky Maivia and Randy Orton) on his side, but look at where he is now - he's so hopelessly bland and boring that the HHH feud and match he originally was slated to have was cancelled and now they've even put another guy with Paul Heyman to make up for their failure with making Axel the new Paul Heyman Guy.

The shitty part of being friends with someone high up is when a more deserving and talented person is completely dismissed and shoved to the side in favor of one of the boss's good buddies, even if they aren't the best man for the job.

·
Registered
14,026 Posts
Well yeah, you will always have pull if you are friends with the guy on top. Vince certainly had his favorites back in the 80s and 90s as well. Although, in all likelihood, Batista and Orton [Who wasn't really that close to HHH back in 2004 anyways] would have been pushed anyways just because of other factors [Orton being a 3rd gen wrestler and Batiata having that massive look]. Sheamus probably would have been pushed as well but definitely not as fast as he was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts