Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then it happens, a rookie joins up and quickly rises to the top. They start getting big matches, making the promotional posters, even winning world titles. Then other wrestlers in the back start getting annoyed, they start talking about how such and such didn't pay his dues, how he was handed everything on a silver platter.

Basically it's this concept of loving and respecting the industry that I don't really understand. Sure, the way things are done today aren't exactly how they would have been 20 years ago, but big promotions have always been about money. The WWE is a business, they create, feature and sell their wrestlers to the fans. As a wrestler, you rise to the top when the promoters believe you are built up enough to start reaching your full potential in terms of profit, if they don't see you as a major draw, you're not going to the top, simple as that. It seems so logical, but there's always that concept of paying your dues. It's as if it's reasonable to expect promoters to keep jobbing a potential goldmine to Steven Richards or something, just because the boys in the back don't feel like the new guy has learned to "respect the industry" yet.

I'm not saying respect for the industry is a bad thing, in fact it really holds a promotion together, but I think respecting the industry would realistically include having the maturity to acknowledge some wrestlers are just more valuable than others. Batista is one of the biggest jerks ever to grace a WWE ring, but he's also made them a lot of money, and I don't believe for even a second that his success was a fluke, they knew what they were doing.

Also Bret Hart is a condescending wiener, I've never seen any wrestler pat himself on the back as much as he does.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
Yeah Bret is a huge mark for himself.

The company is always going to take chances with few superstars and push 'em to moon, try to make them a draw like lesnar or orton or even Cena..whether people like it or not. Some are lucky, some are not. It is what it is.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yeah Bret is a huge mark for himself.

The company is always going to take chances with few superstars and push 'em to moon, try to make them a draw like lesnar or orton or even Cena..whether people like it or not. Some are lucky, some are not. It is what it is.
It just rolls of your tongue, this is basically what I was going to answer.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
blah blah, paying dues vs business is business....
Also Bret Hart is a condescending wiener, I've never seen any wrestler pat himself on the back as much as he does.
Lol i like your main point, then you just chuck in 'Bret Hart sucks' at the end?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Lol i like your main point, then you just chuck in 'Bret Hart sucks' at the end?
Well I'm speaking from the perspective of a guy who has watched both the Bret Hart DVD and the Bret vs Shawn DVD. There are a lot of interviews with Bret in both titles, and he spends an awful lot of time talking about how good he was, and specifically, how his rise to the top was attributed to how he paid his dues over the years. Basically, Bret Hart speaks like he was entitled to everything he was given, and that he was entitled to everything they didn't give him.

He even lies about how much everybody loved and respected him in the back, sure they respected his ability, but they hardly had his back during Montreal, because he was labouring under the delusion that the WWF somehow owed him all sorts of privileges and such despite paying him more than any other wrestler at the time.

He's basically the worst example of wrestlers who talk about respect for the industry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts