Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think there should be a problem. The crowd should be able to cheer/boo whoever they want, regardless of whether they're face/heel.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Many wrestlers have said that it doesnt matter what kinda of reaction you get as long as you get any kind.
The cheers/boos might have some effect on the future of the wrestler but overall it doesnt matter if its a cheer or a boo as long as you are getting somekind of heat.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
It depends.Randy Orton was getting insane pops a few years before but he wasn't drawing well.On the other hand,Cena makes the company the most money despite getting a split reaction.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
It depends.Randy Orton was getting insane pops a few years before but he wasn't drawing well.On the other hand,Cena makes the company the most money despite getting a split reaction.
Do you mean 2009? When he was selling more merchandise than Cena & drawing 4+ ratings? (& being the last wrestler to do so).

Your point is still accurate though, you just used a terrible example, Santino is crazy over, but he will never be a draw, there are many wrestlers like that throughout history.

As for the OP, you can tell Punk & Orton are frustrated when they get cheered (as heels), but I doubt Vince cares that much unless it gets out of hand & they get bigger pops than everybody else. Of course it doesn't help when babyfaces act like goofs & heels act like badasses.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Do you mean 2009? When he was selling more merchandise than Cena & drawing 4+ ratings? (& being the last wrestler to do so).
You forgot to mention Orton was drawing ratings of 4+ by having feuds with Cena and HHH that year.Don't worry.I get it.You are an Orton fan.Ok.

As far as your question is concerned,NO.I meant in 2010.Orton just turned babyface and he was getting huge pops.It even prompted Cena to tell Orton was the Babe Ruth of the WWE.But somehow he wasn't able to draw well as Cena who was getting split reactions

·
From parts unknown
23,262 Posts
WWE definitely cares about crowd reactions as evidenced by their fake crowd noise over Smackdown tapings. They've focused a lot on why Cena gets split reactions. And now recently did the same for AJ.

Orton hasn't gotten over as a heel "completely" in his current run - but that is not because of trying. I think people are just too happy to see the demonic viper back. At this point in Orton's career, he's going to have to do something genuinely vicious to Bryan in order to get really over as a heel instead of just random beatdowns.

At this point, Orton hasn't been booked as a "real" threat to Bryan having lost to him consistently for almost 6+ months now? If I was an Orton fan, I would actually be rooting for him by now to beat this unbeatable bully named Daniel Bryan.

The booking blame clearly lies with the WWE who booked a clean win for Bryan over Cena which led them to being booked into a corner where they could no longer have Orton and Bryan trade titles potentially out of fear of making Cena look weak. In the process, they've made Orton look almost pathetic and ineffective as a heel.

One way they could have turned Orton into a legitimate heel would've been to have the title returned to him at Battleground with a cheap win instead of leaving it vacant again.

·
Follow The Buzzards
2,976 Posts
As long as they are getting reactions I don't think it matters, everybody loves a good heel over a cookie cutter face unless there is a badass face. Orton is in a similar position to Punk when he was heel, WWE went as far as to have Punk use Paul Bearer's death in The Undertaker storyline and he still got cheered. Randy Orton is very over with the crowd where I only think a minority mostly youngsters will boo him. He's a good heel and WWE don't need to change that, he's just very over with the fans at this point in his career

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
You forgot to mention Orton was drawing ratings of 4+ by having feuds with Cena and HHH that year.Don't worry.I get it.You are an Orton fan.Ok.

As far as your question is concerned,NO.I meant in 2010.Orton just turned babyface and he was getting huge pops.It even prompted Cena to tell Orton was the Babe Ruth of the WWE.But somehow he wasn't able to draw well as Cena who was getting split reactions
I don't have the numbers now since I'm on my phone, but I'm pretty sure HHH & Cena were given to him later, he was drawing & selling merchandise when he was feuding with the McMahons before anybody else came in the picture, he was insanely over & drawing massively before they made him a bitch at WM.

You're really gonna give credit to HHH when they feuded in the past, but never drew that much & they never main-evented WM?

& you still didn't address the fact that he sold more merch than Cena.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
I don't have the numbers now since I'm on my phone, but I'm pretty sure HHH & Cena were given to him later, he was drawing & selling merchandise when he was feuding with the McMahons before anybody else came in the picture, he was insanely over & drawing massively before they made him a bitch at WM.
Insanely over?For a short while.Yes.
Drawing massively?Not sure about that though

You're really gonna give credit to HHH when they feuded in the past, but never drew that much & they never main-evented WM?
I liked their feud in 2009 a lot and I think it drew well too.As usual,people think their entire feud was bad judging on their match at WM alone.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
WWE definitely cares about crowd reactions as evidenced by their fake crowd noise over Smackdown tapings. They've focused a lot on why Cena gets split reactions. And now recently did the same for AJ.

Orton hasn't gotten over as a heel "completely" in his current run - but that is not because of trying. I think people are just too happy to see the demonic viper back. At this point in Orton's career, he's going to have to do something genuinely vicious to Bryan in order to get really over as a heel instead of just random beatdowns.

At this point, Orton hasn't been booked as a "real" threat to Bryan having lost to him consistently for almost 6+ months now? If I was an Orton fan, I would actually be rooting for him by now to beat this unbeatable bully named Daniel Bryan.

The booking blame clearly lies with the WWE who booked a clean win for Bryan over Cena which led them to being booked into a corner where they could no longer have Orton and Bryan trade titles potentially out of fear of making Cena look weak. In the process, they've made Orton look almost pathetic and ineffective as a heel.

One way they could have turned Orton into a legitimate heel would've been to have the title returned to him at Battleground with a cheap win instead of leaving it vacant again.
I agree with those two statements. The crowd have no reason to completely boo him. I mean what has he done? He's basically just a wrestler who's chasing the title along with Daniel Bryan. The biggest mistake they made was making the title vacant when HHH could've easily just given Orton back the belt on the Raw after Battleground to add more heat on him. Not to mention Orton and Punk are now in that category where they'll always get cheered no matter what.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

& you still didn't address the fact that he sold more merch than Cena.
Stop embarrassing yourself. Raw in 2009 was filled with guest hosts and had the appearances of Donald Trump. Plus he was feuding with Batista, HHH, Cena, etc. at that time. He won the title by the end of April.

·
Banned
2,280 Posts

So no Shane? We get it, you love yoself some Cena and Triple H.

·
Banned
2,280 Posts
Stop embarrassing yourself. Raw in 2009 was filled with guest hosts and had the appearances of Donald Trump. Plus he was feuding with Batista, HHH, Cena, etc. at that time. He won the title by the end of April.
Punk fans. Think you can only draw with the Title or something?

So Rock and Austin only drew when they held the title? :lmao

That explains why WM 29 beat out the WM 28s Buyrate, because Rock had the title then.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

So Rock and Austin only drew when they held the title? :lmao

That explains why WM 29 beat out the WM 28s Buyrate, because Rock had the title then.
Seriously are you stupid? Orton didn't draw those numbers by himself with the title or without. If so he will do the same thing in 2010. I just responded to the guy saying he's the one who drew those numbers in 2009 which is false. Like it or not.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
WWE just accepts it I think. They turned Punk back face after he couldn't get heat. Orton will probably turn face at some point next year too. It's just the way it is.

Yet it's not Punk's fault when ratings were in the toilet last year with him as champion. :lol

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
Case by case basis. If they're truly committed to you, they don't give a FUCK what the crowd thinks. See Alberto Del Rio. If you're getting a push like Tensai where they want you to be a top guy but you flop with the crowd, you're old, you're not good, etc, they'll drop you.

So no, generally they don't. I'd say that if they paid any mind to the audience, Daniel Bryan would've immediately become WWE Champion after WrestleMania 28, but it never happened. And keep in mind, this is before The Rock made that deal to face Punk. It all depends on what they think of the guy.

They CERTAINLY don't care what main eventers get cheered or booed. They never have with John Cena, they never have with CM Punk and Orton as a heel, etc.

·
My man
6,506 Posts
If they went back to when they actually listened to the crowd and didn't end up having the heels get cheered and the faces get booed it would be a lot more entertaining, fed up on how it seems totally opposite now, they ruined wrestling when they broke kayfabe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts