Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Vaguely knew who Tyson Fury was, completely familiar with Velasquez. I don't watch boxing but I do watch UFC. I started watching MMA when Brock started, so ordered the PPV where he lost to Cain, I was so sad. I grew to respect Cain a lot after his trilogy with Junior Dos Santos though.

That said, while I liked watching Cain in MMA, zero interest in watching him in wrestling. He hardly has a magnetic personality.

Fury seems to have a lot of charisma and personality, but damn that Crown Jewel match with Strowman was awkward and painful to watch.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Cain's definitely more popular than Fury amongst fans. However, I wonder why Cain didn't just make Lesnar his bitch again.

Speaking of Crown Jewel, I stumbled upon a comment that was quite interesting regarding Cain and Rey. The Rumble will be held in Houston, and the comment noted that Houston has the fifth-largest Latino demographic out of all US metropolitan areas. Coupled with WWE's recent tour in Mexico (home to both Cain and Rey's ethnic and cultural heritage), it made no sense as to why neither Cain nor Rey beat Brock to become champion, given that Latinos are a sizeable demograph in WWE's overall North American fanbase, and having either of the two be champion would've raised more interest and revenue for the new year and PPV.

As for Fury, him being relatively unknown in the US is more of a nationalistic attitude towards Europe being the de-facto home of heavyweight boxing since the post-[Mike] Tyson era.

·
Registered
97 Posts
LMAO at your last sentence. There have been plenty of noteworthy fights in boxing the past decade. And one of the 2 you named actually wasn't noteworthy at all - other than the fact that it proves the general public knows nothing about boxing. They paid $100 to think McGregor had a chance? At least Floyd "worked" for awhile to get a few extra rounds of the guy.
You're actually trying to claim that Mayweather v McGregor wasn't a noteworthy boxing fight? It is the second highest selling PPV in history, that in itself is hugely noteworthy. Nobody legitimately thought McGregor would win but as a spectacle it was definitely noteworthy. Behind Mayweather v Pacquiao this was the best selling PPV by almost double to the next biggest boxing match in history.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,075 Posts
I find it weird that Pro Wrestling fans have this need to act like they/we live in some bubble where we know nothing else except Pro Wrestling.

I mean c'mon most Pro Wrestling fans watch some for of legitimate Sports. This need to pretend its Pro Wrestling or nothing is absurd.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I know who Cain is because I used to watch UFC but had you shown me a picture of him and asked who it was I wouldn't have known.

I've heard the name Tyson Fury before but the only reason I remembered it was because it was a unique name. Didn't know he was a boxer though.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,183 Posts
I know who they are and don't care about them in a wrestling ring. Tyson Fury has a cool persona but WWE limited him like everyone else. Cain has never been interesting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heard of Velasquez years ago but only due to the fact he had a fight with Lesnar.

Fury on the other hand is known for saying some very polarising things which tends to make the news here in the UK. So mostly knew him from that.

Couldn't give a shit about either MMA or Boxing though and honestly anytime they're on and I'm watching WWE I usually mute and do other things. Never cared for celebrity involvment.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
It did seem to gain some attention from boxing and MMA fans. And the Youtube videos WWE put out involving Cain and Fury did tend to get higher views than other stuff.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
As a wrestling fan, I know who both of them are. That being said, I don't really care about them or how they are going to be used by WWE.

Tyson Fury is a pretty big name in boxing, but boxing is not nearly as popular as it was 20-30 years ago. And Velasquez is a big name in MMA, but the guy shows up in with a dad bod and gets squashed by Lesnar pretty quick. So my question to Vince would be "Who really cares about these two?" I dont have much interest in WM this year, and these two arent going to change my mind.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,774 Posts
International viewer here.
Do wrestling fans, in general, know or care who Fury and Velasquez are?
I absolutly don`t care, sorry. Velasquez I didn`t even know. (Just hearing the name by random doesn`t count.)

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,774 Posts
Is it about "legitimate sports" in general - people caring for that exists - or just individual choosen ones? Because then it is random, if you know people or not.
Most people in european countries don`t care about american football, but they care about football (soccer). Also you will find many people not caring much about basketball, but they care a lot about handball.
So does it make really sense to bring someone out there from "other sport", if just a minority is following that sport? Depends.

Btw, that is the big misunderstanding in this forum about Rousey. People in USA know her alot better, because she is/was in entertainment shows and talk shows, maybe even some reality/documentation stuff etc. Also MMA and talking/news about it is much bigger in USA than somewhere else.
So substract that knowledge from the audience of other countries and then you got olympics left. To bad, people in other countries don`t support or collect infos or see documentation in TV about the US girls, they support their own peeps and watch their stuff.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I know who they are but I watch wrestling to be entertained by storytelling not “big name” celebrities and athletes looking to get a check from vince.

It’s certainly weird that WWE focuses on these outside stars instead of producing good TV

21 - 40 of 59 Posts