Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Genuine question, I'm not commenting or debating their skill and ability.

WWE, and wrestling in general has a long-standing history of celebrity crossover. You've got Rodman, Leno, Tyson, Mayweather, Jackman, Trump, etc.

All major stars that I'd bet majority of wrestling fans have heard of. I'm not debating how good or bad their appearances were, or whether or not they should have been brought, just simply the fact you knew who they were.

Until their WWE apperance, I had never heard of Fury or Velasquez. I knew who Ronda Rousey was, I'm familiar with McGregor, Pacquiao etc. I'm not entirely oblivious to the MMA/Boxing world.

Anyways, my point being if I don't recognize these two guys, while I'm sure they're major in their sport, can't be that major in the mainstream.

So it perplexes why these guys are brought in to do main event things. Wrestling fans, unless you prove me wrong are not generally familiar with these guys. That lead to me tuning out of the Saudi PPV because I didn't give two fucks about seeing them compete, no interest at all.

So what's the point? Is it actually gaining much attention outside WWE and drawing boxing and MMA fans in?

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
I am curious about that as well. Tyson is the undefeated heavyweight boxing champ so he definitely gets new eyeballs on the product. It is not about necessarily bringing in guys most WWE fans have heard of, it is about bringing in lapsed and new fans from other sports. Tyson does that. For Cain, I had heard of him since I do like UFC and had followed Brock's MMA career so I knew he was the one who won the title off Brock. Cain is pretty much done with his UFC career though so I am not sure how big a deal it was bringing him in just to lose in 18 seconds. It could be a big deal if they brought him into NXT and actually trained him and built him up as a monster. UFC fans remember him being a monster so it could bring in more fans.

I would say Tyson got them a good amount of mainstream attention, Cain not so much. If they were able to get McGregor that definitely would. He has the personality of someone born to be a wrestling heel.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Velaquez they should know, because he beat Lesnar for the UFC heavyweight championship (that’s what he’s literally known for), and UFC is in the mainstream, having taken in all the fans from the Attitude era in the process.

Fury, they can’t be blamed for not knowing, since there are no stars in boxing anymore. Mayweather vs Pacquiao and Mayweather vs McGregor are the only noteworthy boxing matches of the last decade.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Speaking as someone who isn't too interested in legitimate combat sports I have heard of Cain Velasquez prior to his WWE involvement (prior to his AAA match as well) but have never heard of Tyson Fury before he showed up in WWE.

The takeaway might be MMA is more popular than Boxing if the former is way more exposed to non-fans than the latter, but I'm far from an expert on that subject.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Velaquez they should know, because he beat Lesnar for the UFC heavyweight championship (that’s what he’s literally known for), and UFC is in the mainstream, having taken in all the fans from the Attitude era in the process.

Fury, they can’t be blamed for not knowing, since there are no stars in boxing anymore. Mayweather vs Pacquiao and Mayweather vs McGregor are the only noteworthy boxing matches of the last decade.
LMAO at your last sentence. There have been plenty of noteworthy fights in boxing the past decade. And one of the 2 you named actually wasn't noteworthy at all - other than the fact that it proves the general public knows nothing about boxing. They paid $100 to think McGregor had a chance? At least Floyd "worked" for awhile to get a few extra rounds of the guy.

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Fury yes, Cain no. MMA fans mostly turn their nose up at pro-rasslin so I don't think there would be much cross over there and Cain is bland as shit personality. Fury is larger than life in a lot of ways, and Brits especially know who he is. Also I think boxing fans are more likely to be pro-reasslin fans or at least not be snobbish against it.

Cain only held value as the guy who legit beat Lesnar - his value was to a rival company to lord it over Vince. Fury could probably have a 10 year career in the WWE if he wanted to do it full time.

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
Wrestling fans well the loudest fans today seem to have little crossover with sports, and they seem to be very territorial about outsiders in wrestling.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
LMAO at your last sentence. There have been plenty of noteworthy fights in boxing the past decade. And one of the 2 you named actually wasn't noteworthy at all - other than the fact that it proves the general public knows nothing about boxing. They paid $100 to think McGregor had a chance? At least Floyd "worked" for awhile to get a few extra rounds of the guy.
Well, name them then, since they just aren't known at all. Mayweather vs McGregor was a draw due to the name value of those involved. That was the whole point.

If there's one thing I've observed about wrestling fans these days is that they are not very aware as to what makes the mainstream. No wonder wrestling is going down the drain.

·
IRAN #1
2,306 Posts
Probably not, but telling the fans they're huge Boxing and MMA stars should be enough to tell them who they are.

A lot of wrestling fans only care about pro wrestlers, they don't care about actors, musicians or other athletes., especially if it's a one off appearance because you know it's not going to lead to anything.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I follow pro wrestling and a lot of combat sports.

So I know all the names I like the crossovers to be honest. But I'm probably few and far between. Cain was cool in theory but my goodness did he look bad on the debut and that threw me off. Fury was awesome.

·
Premium Member
16,729 Posts
I don't like the two guys, what they've done so far, but I do kayfabe see them as threats and can accept them as equals to Brock. Commentary did them good.

Probably not, but telling the fans they're huge Boxing and MMA stars should be enough to tell them who they are.
I think this point may be overlooked. Good commentary should get over anyone from another industry. commentary should be explaining why whatever [BOXER 1] did was impressive. The same theory should carry over to TV stars, movie stars, singers, even Susan G Komen representatives.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like the OP, never heard of cain or fury in my life before they were brought to wwe a few months ago. I've been watching WWE all my life, but never once watched a single UFC or boxing match of any kind whatsoever..so never heard of those 2 guys before, and i dont care about either.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

A lot of wrestling fans only care about pro wrestlers, they don't care about actors, musicians or other athletes., especially if it's a one off appearance because you know it's not going to lead to anything.
True but if somebody said McGregor was gonna face Lesnar that would be widely engaged by wrestling fans.

I feel like if they try to put Fury/Cain in the Mania main event, it'll kill a lot of hype.

Like I said I didn't even bother to watch the last Saudi PPV because they were headlining. Other than that I do normally watch.

Anyways, I would be curious to know their actual in pact. How much outside attention it brings, and how many wrestling fans it turns off. Perhaps I'm in the minority. To be fair I have no interest in like 90% of the roster anymore anyway lol.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts