Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They don't want to be packed in with the "rebel" pop culture group that is the IWC? Lets face it, back in 2005-2007 it was the "in" thing to hate John Cena. I know everyone has a mind of their own but lets face it, the entire IWC hated John Cena at this point. Over time, mainly when he got injured in late 2007 and came back early and WWE shoved his workrate down our throats, people thought "Hey, he's not that bad."

I can't see why anyone would like John Cena. His character sucks, he literally does nothing new in his matches and I hate the fact that his real life issues come into his wrestling character. Nobody cares what anyone else does outside the ring. I don't see why that plays a factor considering nobody knows him personally but again, I rest my case.

To the people who like John Cena, be honest; do you only like him because the majority of the IWC hate him and you just want to be different? That's the vibe I'm getting. If not, why do you like him? Name one redeeming quality about John Cena that actually matters. And don't say he works hard for the company considering that doesn't affect what we (the fans) see on screen.

·
Banned
399 Posts
People like Cena because he works damn hard, is a nice guy and has the aura of a champion. He's the first guy since Austin and Rock to really define his own 'era', sure, it's mostly a PG era, but consider his success. Consider what he's done for the wrestling business.
Damn, Cena is like Hulk Hogan. If Hulk Hogan wasn't an untalented, repugnant little shit in the toilet bowl of pro wrestling.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
No. People like Cena mainly because

-He wins all the time, and is therefore in the main event lots
-of his gimmick
-the matches he puts on

I like him because he does the best impersonation of Johnny Ace :eek:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Op is an idiot

We don't see that he works hard for a comapny? Seriously man? Because its so easy to sell your character, and perform in the ring right? Please don't even give the crap "5 moves of doom". Yeah its funny to pinpoint his five moves of doom, but the fact of the matter is when it comes time to put on a good match, he can deliver. And this is coming from a guy who thinks cena is shoved down the fans throats too much, but i can still see plenty of reasons to like him

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
The kids like Cena because he's the main guy and has lots of diff merchandising and is basically everywhere.

Everyone else who likes Cena likes him because he's one of the hardest workers in the WWE, gets praised by current and former WWE stars and is a nice person outside of WWE as well. Not to mention the influence his taunt has on pro athletes.

Notice how most of the people who hate Cena and probably people who go on forums like this, so it just seems like alot of peopel hate him when really, it's just because people read forums like this. And most of the people who don't like him, are the ones who are vocal at WWE events. I doubt there are many 18+ Cena fans that are really that vocal in the audience.

If it wasn't for the internet, Cena probably would be seen as one of the top 3 greatest superstars in WWE history.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
I'm referring to the selective few in the IWC who like Cena. ;)
So was I. Our heads really aren't that differently wired to that of an average fan.
What gimmick?
The Cena gimmick.
dont most people in the IWC hate cena though because they want to rebel against the pop culture of the WWE in itself?
yeah that's what OP was pointing out, maybe it's gone so far that the new thing is liking Cena because everyone hates him. It hasn't, though. People genuinely like/dislike him.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
dont most people in the IWC hate cena though because they want to rebel against the pop culture of the WWE in itself?
Or because Cena isn't anything like an attitude era star.

People always make fun of Cena for not being able to wrestle, yet if you look at his whole career, he can wrestle, just as of past few years, WWE is just turning him into the superhero.

Austin said himself that he only had like 3 moves(said it during his HOF speech). But people still loved him so much, mostly because of the things he did outside of matches. If Cena were to do everything CM Punk is doing outside of matches, people on here would probably love him too.

And he's basically like a pro athlete too. There are some top guys in a sport like NHL,NBA,MLB who are great at many areas, but lack one area and get criticized for it. Some of the NHLs best scorers get criticized because they can't play defense. Cena gets criticized for not being a unique wrestler.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I still don't understand why Cena was hated back in 2005 already. He had just started to get to the top and fans already booed him. I can fully understand the hate for him now cause he's beyond stale with his "always wins every single feud" and "modern Hulk Hogan" gimmick but people need to stop doubting his talent.

I always liked Cena cause he's a good rapper and he's entertaining at the right time when he's not in the PG limits.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I hate cena simply because he sucks, nothing interests me about him, his sucks, hes boring and stale. Oh ye i dont respect the guy either.

·
Registered
548 Posts
people like him for the same reason many people's favourite team is manchester united or favourite basketball team is whichever one wins all the time. success = fans. its easy to cheer for someone/thing that is likely to win...

·
on the right track
3,702 Posts
It's like bandwaggoning in actual competitive sports. You always hop on and support the best because you don't want to face disappointment and can't deal with it. The same with Cena fans. It's so easy to hop on to Cena's wagon because he's the face of the company and with him there's the least chance of disappointment.

·
Banned
463 Posts
They don't want to be packed in with the "rebel" pop culture group that is the IWC? Lets face it, back in 2005-2007 it was the "in" thing to hate John Cena. I know everyone has a mind of their own but lets face it, the entire IWC hated John Cena at this point. Over time, mainly when he got injured in late 2007 and came back early and WWE shoved his workrate down our throats, people thought "Hey, he's not that bad."

I can't see why anyone would like John Cena. His character sucks, he literally does nothing new in his matches and I hate the fact that his real life issues come into his wrestling character. Nobody cares what anyone else does outside the ring. I don't see why that plays a factor considering nobody knows him personally but again, I rest my case.

To the people who like John Cena, be honest; do you only like him because the majority of the IWC hate him and you just want to be different? That's the vibe I'm getting. If not, why do you like him? Name one redeeming quality about John Cena that actually matters. And don't say he works hard for the company considering that doesn't affect what we (the fans) see on screen.
I actually like John Cena before he got the wwe title the first time. In my opinion John Cena was much better before he did start winning all those matches. Now i don't like John Cena now, and in many wwe matches hell even in hell in a cell You first hear A little kid say "go Cena!" then you hear a larger crowd saying "CENA SUCKS!".

This reminds of in 1997 when people did have enough for The Rock's good boy character, people were screaming in all his matches "Rocky Sucks! Rocky Sucks!"

Eventually The Rock turned heel, and he called himself the people's champ. And he got real popular again when he won the WWF title in 1999.

I think the same thing will happen this time, i really think WWE will be trying to make John Cena a heel for trying to get his popularity up.

But enough of that why do people like Cena? Because they have their own opinions and reason for liking him. Now i don't have a clue why people like John Cena today.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
That's some stupid thinking if you ask me. People will like Cena for the same reasons you will like a wrestler. Maybe they are a fan of his wrestling style or promos. It's the same sort of thing saying everyone who likes CM Punk here is just doing to fit in. It's just not true.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Only thing that I don't like about Cena is that he always has to be in the title scene.
I would love it for him to still Main Event but not for the title.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
His rapper gimmick sucked. White guy trying to rap made my eyes roll so hard they turned bloodshot red.
It was a gimmick to appeal to the middle class white kid who wants to be cool.
Then they just changed it to appeal to every little kid in the world.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
I generally root against Cena but I can't say I really dislike him. He has a shitload of matches I still really enjoy watching along with two in my five favorite matches (vs Umaga RR and vs Punk MITB).

1 - 20 of 70 Posts