Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe that's a stretch, but I thought I would make the thread anyway because why not. But yeah, after watching Smackdown and following ADR since he has come to WWE, I am just so impressed by how confident the guy is. Everyone likes the guy and he never messes up when he's dealing with the other talent on the roster. There are plenty of people that put on the same heel-schmiel act that ADR does, but they don't seem to have the same heir of confidence and respect with other wrestlers.

Is it because he knows he can beat everyone up IRL? Do you think it instills a sense of insecurity in others when they know they are dealing with a real trained fighter and that they could be outmatched for a change? Do you think other wrestlers just are fans of MMA and other sports so they have respect for people involved? Am I making up all of this myself in my head?

I know there has to be more out there than just ADR and Floyd Mayweather Jr, and Mike Tyson that fit this mold, but that's all I could think of, add more or dont

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I wouldn't say they have an advantage considering the workload for wrestlers is far greater when compared to MMA fighters. It is a totally different style of work which they have to learn. ADR did start out as a wrestler I think, which is why he fits in well in the WWE.

·
Registered
119 Posts
1. They have to work A LOT more than they did in MMA.
2. MMA fighters a lot of the time have a hard time "working" after spending years training to actually beat down and submit someone.
3. WWE has long went after football players over amateur wrestlers and martial artists simply because teaching the football player a new skill is way easier than retraining people trained to hurt other people.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
simply if they have some real fighting experience it will inform the wrestling and make them better wrestlers, more entertaining to watch, better movesets, more ties to reality.

whether or not its an advantage depends on the wrestler, if they are a shit wrestler then it aint gonna help. and some guys it seems to not get mentioned, like santino, hardly anyone knows of his background as judo and mma guy, even though he uses judo throws in his matches.

·
Registered
139 Posts
well many martial artists have to learn falling in tehre trainign so there is that, plus the idea of training hard for a living is not a suprise but really teh asnwer is maybe, depends on the person.

Also ADR was a pro wrestler before he became an MMA fighter

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
6,194 Posts
As a bodybuilder with a background in MMA I was thinking of trying pro style wrestlng. I think a lot of wrestling fans like to view big muscle guys wrestle.
Already my new favorite gimmick poster. God bless this man.

An MMA background doesn't really help because the two forms are only tangentially related. I'll let Mitch explain.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,946 Posts
That would depend. In the old days, a wrestler with a legit fighting background would often be booked strongly and pushed heavily because they were considered more believable as wrestlers since nobody is going to doubt their toughness. Things are different today though. Unless you're someone like Brock Lesnar who became a big star in UFC before coming back to pro wrestling, chances are you'll just end up being booked like everyone else in WWE.

Reactions: Musclestud
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.