Votes: 9 11.0%
  • It Doesn't Matter What I Think

Votes: 44 53.7%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, Canadians were the only people to boo The Rock while he was a face. I'm curious why Canadians booed him at Wrestlemania 19 and even before that.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm Canadian; I used to mark out for the Rock like a little girl when I was a kid. Any time Austin beat him, I'd flip out.

·
8,232 Posts
The Rock knows this to. That's why he cut an EPIC promo trashing them in Toronto back in '03.

Even called em' Mothercunuckers!

·
Registered
329 Posts
How can anyone not like The Rock

·
Registered
919 Posts
His style can be unappealing to some. Also below-average in ring skill, though irrelevant since many maineventers are on his level.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I voted yes, not to sure about now, but after re-watching The Rock v. Mankind v. Ken Shamrock from Breakdown 1998 (Hamilton Ontario I believe) which was when Rock was heel, they were going absolutely nuts for him which forced a face turn (although briefly) and the rest is history blah blah blah.......

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Wouldn't be suprised if this turns into a Rock v. Austin or Rock v. Cena or Rock v. Hogan thread, considering ti's pretty known now that if you mention Rock (or anyone else in his same field, like Austin), one of those gets mentioned and the debate sparks up.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I'm guessing them booing him as to do with the fact that everytime he goes to Canada, he's glad that he's finally come back to toron...... TO RUN HIS MOUTH ALL OVER THEIR CANDY ASSES.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
How can you not like The Rock?

This guy is so damn good, he's the best mic worker in WWE history. Definately in my Top 3 favs of all time.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I'd say they do. The reason they booed him at WM 18 was because Toronto loves Hogan due to the Hogan vs. Warrior matc hat WM 6, it wasn't anything personal against The Rock.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The rock mic's skills have always been over-exaggerated. He is pretty mediocre to be honest. They used to make fun of him all the time during the attitude era, I remember promos where Undertaker/ Big show and many others would throw in insider comments like "rock all you speak is nursery rhymes" etc. He used swearing in his catchphrases to get himself over, anyone can do that, it's not hard to do. These days it's more difficult to cut a good promo because you can't swear to get a cheap pop.

Also his wrestling skills were terrible. He was never great in the ring and he never really improved. In the attitude era it was easier to get people to like your match because if the match wasn't going well you can start hitting people over the head with chairs or putting them through announce tables. It was an easy cop out to try make the match look better than it was. Wrestling fans during this era were so dumb they got really excited when this violence happened and then left thinking it was an amazing match. His mic work got him popular and he is one of the reasons wwe is now more entertainment based. If you want to blame someone blame the rock because he made it that speaking was more important than wrestling, that is why wrestling is now in the state it is. Wrestlings who were training saw the rock and how he got popular and then put more emphasis on their talking than wrestling skills.

Also people hate the rock because he turned his back on the wrestling fans and he thinks wrestling is beneath him now that he is this hollywood big shot. If it wasn't for the fans he wouldn't have been popular.

Rock is a prime example of someone who just used the wrestling business and it's fans as a stepping stone to achieve his hollywood career. He never really cared about any fans, but it amazes me people still today go crazy when they hear his name.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think Toronto booing the rock was due to the fact that he was facing Hogan, and many people in the crowd at wrestlemania 18 were long time fans who grew up with Hogan, so they cheered him over the rock. Also, I think the question is a little broad. When it comes to something like wrestling, you can't really group all the people of one country as having one opinion, especially a country as big and diverse as Canada. I think the better question would have been do people from Toronto like the rock or something along those lines. Not trying to bash the OP or anything, just giving my opinion.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts