Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I don't recall Savage having any sort of injury around that time, so there really was no reason for him to be given that commentator role. I know Vince wanted to move towards that younger generation, but Savage was 5 years older than Bret, not really that far off. Savage vs Bret could have been a great feud with great matches. Savage in 1993/1994 still had a lot to offer this business and it's a shame he was put on the backburner for no reason, and then Vince got mad when Savage split, no wonder he left.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I understand what he was trying to do but he went about it the wrong way. It was his first time trying to move away from what had made him a millionaire so there was obviously blueprint that told him how to go about it. I don't blame him for trying something new but clearly it was a mistake.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Simply put no i don't agree because no matter what Vince McMahon wanted to do with his youth movement into "The New Generation Era" he had someone in Randy Savage that was only behind Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair as far as star power goes and who was probably only behind Ric Flair as the best all round in ring performer in American wrestling. Much like last year when WWE attempted a youth movement they still had people like John Cena, Triple H, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Edge, Christian, Kane and Big Show around whilst Shawn Michaels and Batista were around for the early part of the year as well.

The point is that older and more established names are always needed because younger wrestlers get over and become established themselves by working with and going over older wrestlers. Think how quickly Shawn Michaels or Owen Hart would have become main event stars as young heels in 1993-1994 had they been able to work with Randy Savage or how much more of star Bret Hart could have become had he had a heel Randy Savage to work with pre 1996. There was also people like The Undertaker, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash all around as well who would have benefited from having Randy Savage around to work with.

You only have to look at the work of Randy Savage in between 1994 and mid 1998 in WCW to know that he should have been kept on as he had great feuds and matches with Ric Flair, Sting, Diamond Dallas Page, Scott Hall, The Giant and many others. It could be arguable that the work Randy Savage did in WCW is at the very least on par with his work with WWE and in some cases superior, the feud he had with Ric Flair in WCW was just as good if not better than their WWE feud and Randy Savage completely MADE Diamond Dallas Page back in 1997 in their feud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts