Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, I know that a lot of you will not understand my reasoning for posting this. It has more to do with the man behind the character than wrestling.

Tonight I watched as the shitshow of a match between Dolph Ziggler and The Big Dog, Roman Reigns played out like I expected it to. Interference from "King" Corbin and his minions. What has me, my bestfriend and sister angry is what followed.

After handcuffing Roman to the ring posts, Dolph, Corbin and their "security team" proceeded to pour cans of dog food over Roman's head. In this was the disrespect to the man behind the character!

Ok, I get that the show is scripted for entertainment purposes, but as he gets little to no say over most of his storylines, there are things that just should not be done.

Back to the dog food being poured over him.. While that whole thing is disrespectful, we could have lived with (still been pissed tho) it being put in his face and on his body but the line should have been drawn at the hair.

Joe Anoa'i A.K.A Roman Reigns is of Samoan/Polynesian decent. As me, my bestfriend and sister are of Native American decent, we know that in some cultures our hair plays a very sacred part in our beliefs. In our culture, our hair is believed to hold strong spiritual energy, our strength, our prayers and much more are linked to our bodies through our hair. It is disrespectful to touch (without permission) , cut or dishonor our hair in any way.

The Polynesian culture holds a very similar belief..

This is my whole point.. by pouring the dog food over his head, into his hair, not only did they show disrespect to his character but also dishonor to Joe, the man behind the character.

As writers for the show, they should get to know the men behind the characters that they write for, before putting them in a situation of having to choose between their livelihood and their beliefs. This being said, the blame also lays with Vince McMahon and the co-owners of the show.

As fans of Roman, Joe Anoa'i, we are beyond disgusted that this was allowed to happen!

Being a part of a people who have been shown the injustice caused by greed and ignorance, I know that this falls on deaf ears, but now that I have said my peace, I will just leave this here for whomever cares to read and or discuss it.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Vince doesn't give a single shit. This is the same guy who exploited Roman's cancer to try to get him over. He's done a lot worse in the past and I'm sure he probably didn't know. (Not that he would have thought twice about booking the segment anyway.)
Yeah good thing going to film a Fast and Furious movie is the perfect cure for cancer, cleared his right up ;)

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
Roman can and has said no to stuff he disagrees with. If it was so disrespectful, he wouldn't have done it
You're overthinking it.
Babyfaces are made to be embarrassed/beaten up all the time. On a rare occasion it can happen to a heel too.
If Roman cared about it, he would have said no. /Thread.
If they don't like their hair being touched does that mean Samoans would be mad at the Rock for shaving his head
20 years ago The Rock sprayed with beer by Stone Cold and that beer touched his hair part, chill, it's part of script.
Yeah, let's get outraged for someone else for something he might not even give a single shit about.
Joined 8 hours ago. First post is pure troll.

Off to a good start, my dude.
I'd just be happy that people still think it's real. These fans are rare who actually think heel things bother faces. Let them have their rage because it keeps the business going.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm sure if he felt disrespected he would have objected. It honestly looked like he was having the time of his life, trying not to laugh. All 3 did a wonderful job. He should settle the score at TLC, this could lead to him winning the rumble.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,202 Posts
IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMNIT!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
As others have said, if he had that much of a problem with it he wouldn't have agreed to do that, if it was that offensive he would have went to Vince to speak up about it like Moxley had to so many times.

Really the thing that offends me most is this is the kind of thing a 74 year old man thinks is funny...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts