Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I know what your gonna say..DONT WATCH! but I am a WWE loyalist so I will continue to watch. This is PG eh? Cena apologising for using the word 'ass', half the audience probably didnt know who the fuck HBK was. the audience was over-run by kids in purple shirts and CENA gear. Not the business I fell in love with. Think of the pops Austin and Rock had. I DVR'd the show and watched the whole show in 14 minutes because I fast forwarded most of it. WWE needs help, I wish TNA was better so it would raise competition.

Sorry, rant over

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
What business did you fall in love with then? The one with the audience full of kids in yellow Hulk shirts? Or the one with all the kids in the audience with the Ultimate Warrior tassles round their arms? Or the one with all the kids who loved HBK?

Oh, no - let's guess - you grew up during the Attitude Era where there was more teenagers and older guys with Austin shirts and 3:16 signs.

Imagine during that era if someone came upto you and said THIS IS FOR US, BEAT IT KID.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well...I know what your gonna say..DONT WATCH! but I am a WWE loyalist so I will continue to watch. This is PG eh? Cena apologising for using the word 'ass', half the audience probably didnt know who the fuck HBK was. the audience was over-run by kids in purple shirts and CENA gear. Not the business I fell in love with. Think of the pops Austin and Rock had. I DVR'd the show and watched the whole show in 14 minutes because I fast forwarded most of it. WWE needs help, I wish TNA was better so it would raise competition.

Sorry, rant over
Agreed, but the Attitude era is gone dude. The so called PG era is here for long run, its not all that bad. WWE will never be pushed by TNA its still struggling to improve atm.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What business did you fall in love with then? The one with the audience full of kids in yellow Hulk shirts? Or the one with all the kids in the audience with the Ultimate Warrior tassles round their arms? Or the one with all the kids who loved HBK?

Oh, no - let's guess - you grew up during the Attitude Era where there was more teenagers and older guys with Austin shirts and 3:16 signs.

Imagine during that era if someone came upto you and said THIS IS FOR US, BEAT IT KID.
wwe jobber dang you always gotta be clever bro. If you had some sense just look at old videos on youtube bro and compare them to today's audience man. That's all Im trying to say. It was more adult based and adult directed. You can't deny that bro.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

Perfect

A lot of people here forget that they were kids themselves once.

I dont really care. I enjoy alot of the product and if the kid is all Cena fans who only knows him i would still enjoy it if i get some good matches and a good promo.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts

You are absolutely right. The only timeframe that was adult-oriented was the Attitude Era.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
WWE has become the Power Rangers, but only at night

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
wwe jobber dang you always gotta be clever bro. If you had some sense just look at old videos on youtube bro and compare them to today's audience man. That's all Im trying to say. It was more adult based and adult directed. You can't deny that bro.
So what do you suggest the WWE do, remove the kids and leave the old school diehards? There's a name for a company that does that... it's called TNA. See how well they're doing business wise.

Kids are the future fans and the reason the business continues to run. I was drawn in as a kid and hung around ever since - but the older I get the less money I invest into the product personally.

They need to appeal to a new audience to keep the massive fanbase.

Besides, apart from the famous attitude era, professional wrestling has always appealed to a younger audience - that was my point.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

This pretty much sums it up. I was just like these kids during Hulkamania, my brother loved the Ultimate warrior and Piper was my favorite. Hell I was all of 7 years old and I can remember the day that Shawn threw Marty through the window. Weirdly I stopped watching wrestling when I got to high school and missed all the attitude era, I see too many people wishing WWE would go back. Tough tits I suppose, watch or don't watch, apply for a writing position or petition the PG rating.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WWE has become the Power Rangers, but only at night

Yeah I agree with you actually, attitude era was more adult based...and I was born in 86 so as youve stated, I wasnt familiar with Hogan days. Its just a shame how something so good has gone so downhill. The attitude era was easily the most successful era to date butI do respect that PG is good business. from a selfish point a view I wish it would go back to that I guess.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
To the people that think The Hulkamania Era was mainly directed towards kids I wouldn't say thats exactly true. Yes from TODAYS standards it looked that way because of all the goofy characters and bright colors, but that was what the 80s were all about. Goofiness and bright colors were a norm in adult entertainment back then.

And I can see where the op is coming from(a bit extreme but I understand).

I personally don't mind having kids in the audience, having the product DIRECTED towards kids I have a problem with though. The abundance of kids in the audience was why I personally didn't enjoy Raw too much when I went the last time.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I kind of have to agree. Usually if I don't like a wrestler at first, they'll eventually grow on me. But it's not happening with John Cena. It's been years and I still just can't force myself to like his gimmick, even when I want to. The worst thing is that he's the center of the WWE product.

I also know a lot of people like to argue that the PG rating is not the reason why the product sucks and that it's Creative's fault, etc, etc. I partly disagree. With the program being PG, Creative has the added chore of making sure everything they come up with is "within the rules." If they had to write a TV-14 show, maybe they'd feel like they have less strings pulling them and would be free to explore new, unpredictable and exciting storylines. Let's look at it in simple terms. The best storylines are the ones that are real; the ones that depict real life. Well unfortunately, in real life, when violence is involved, swearing and blood can't be ignored. I'm not saying we should smere the whole program with it, but definitely use it appropriately. Miz's beat down of Lawler would've gone over much better if Lawler could've bladed. Cena could've expressed how pissed off he really was at Punk if he could really lose his composure and drop a couple curse words. It would be believable, aka, something you might see in real life when a guy is losing his shit on another guy.

Right now, the only thing keeping me watching WWE is the fact that I am a wrestling addict and have been for 13 years. I watched my first RAW in 1998 and refused to miss any episodes after that because Austin was a tough son of a bitch and legitimately fucked people up that got in his way, and I always had to see what he would do next week. There's none of that anymore. Cena is a pussy. Nexus has not been an intimidating, antagonistic group at all. I enjoy Orton sometimes but always think they could blow his gimmick into something better if they tried. Bottom line, if I was 10 years old again, and tuned into RAW for my first time today, I don't think I would've become as obsessed as I was when I was introduced to it in 1998.

I also think it's worth noting that I started watching wrestling as a 10-year-old kid/major mark and I hated characters that resembled today's John Cena. I liked the badass guys even as a kid. So I don't understand what the hangup is with kids and Cena these days.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts

Sorry, rant over

Cena apologizing was keeping his character, more than half the audience knows who HBK was and of course kids in purple Cena gear isn't the business you fell in love with, he wasn't there.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The attitude era also served up some real horrible shit. Remember the Katie Vick saga? Eric Bischoff proudly announcing that WWE were presenting some hot lesbian action (which, absurdly was nothing of the sort)?

Frankly, with shit like that in mind, I'm kind of glad that WWE is taking the direction it is.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
Rants is under the Non-Wrestling section. It makes sense to post wrestling rants here.
True. Very in fact. Just delusion circles my head when I see this dude post. He's a somewhat...y'know maybe I should head to that link :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
25,943 Posts
The "PG" label is not the issue and children being in the audience is not the issue. There was unbelievably shitty writing 14 years ago during the Attitude Era as well. I didn't come out of my mom's puppet knowing who Ric Flair was but I learned as I kept watching and learning. Give them a break. I can't speak for myself because I was never a fan but kids would shit in their pants for Hogan and not know or care about those who could actually wrestle. The kids aren't the issue but the writing is.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
The kids in the crowd new exactly who HBK was/is. Those same kids were watching TV last year. You act as if HBK has been gone for 8 years or something.

The "PG" label is not the issue and children being in the audience is not the issue. There was unbelievably shitty writing 14 years ago during the Attitude Era as well. I didn't come out of my mom's puppet knowing who Ric Flair was but I learned as I kept watching and learning. Give them a break. I can't speak for myself because I was never a fan but kids would shit in their pants for Hogan and not know or care about those who could actually wrestle. The kids aren't the issue but the writing is.
:lmao

1 - 20 of 93 Posts