Wrestling Forum banner

DirectTV Dropping Spike TV At Midnight

16747 Views 163 Replies 75 Participants Last post by  Aya Reiko

From Spike Tv Facebook Page :
DIRECTV customers: you will lose Spike tonight-- and miss out on the next IMPACT Live!

Call them now at 1-800-531-5000 to demand they keep your favorite channel. Visit Facebook.com/WhenDirectvDrops for more info.
From PWInsider:

Due to an ongoing rights fees dispute over programming, Viacom is threatening to pull all of its programming, which includes TNA, from DirecTV at midnight tonight when the carriage contract between the parties ends if a new deal can not be reached. If they follow through on the threat then TNA programming will be lost to the more than 20 million DirecTV customers. DirecTV says that Viacom is asking for a big rights increase. Viacom is saying that DirecTV wants to pay them less than any other carrier and that they have already been paying a lower rate due to their current contract being seven years old and thus negotiated in what amounts to ancient history in the TV business. So if you own DirecTV, be warned.
really sucks for TNA , after DX and the buzz Around Aries this happens .
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Re: just when iMPACT was Peaking viewers ... Direct Tv Drops Spike

I don't think it'll be permanent. DirecTV can't just drop all of Viacom, it'll significantly damage them financially. There will be a compromise eventually.

· Registered
1,508 Posts

So how big a loss are we talking. Like how many viewers could this cut off for now.
It is one of the 2 big satellite services in the US with around 20million viewers total, so shortterm this will probably have an effect, but Spike still is available through the DISH network and Cable, so its not a catastrophe. Overall 2% of the US population watches wrestling (1/4 of those watch TNA), so 0.5% of 20million viewers is 100000 viewers total. (Rough estimate!)

· Registered
1,383 Posts

Spike is available in ~100 million homes, DirecTV has ~20 million subscribers so it's ~20% of their possible audience cut off. It really shouldn't last long, though, if they even cut the channels at all.

· Registered
1,508 Posts

It appears to be a situation where Viacom and DIRECTV are negotiating about a new deal, so it has nothing to do with SpikeTV's low ratings etc, DIRECTV just want more money out of this deal and is playing hardball. So a good chance the 2 parties will agree to some mutual agreement along the way.

Either way, Dixie Carter's call to fans to start complaining isnt going to help, this isnt Spike vs Directv, but Viacom vs Directv

· Registered
3,549 Posts

Yeah I doubt it'll be anything permanent. This happens all the time during negotiations.

· Registered
1,418 Posts

DISH network dropped AMC last week, i dont know if DIRECTV will also drop them.
I didn't even notice that AMC was removed. Shows how much I turn to AMC.

I did notice last week that HDNET is on the list, but I am willing to bet that was added after ROH left that network.

Anyway, sucks for Direct TV users. Hopefully Spike doesn't stay off the list long.

· Registered
1,508 Posts

I did notice last week that HDNET is on the list, but I am willing to bet that was added after ROH left that network.
Yeah, HDNET now shows on both DISH and DIRECTV (thats 35 million homes total, about 1/3 of what TNA and WWE reach), so ROH made a big mistake leaving HDNET.

· Registered
121 Posts
Re: DirectTV May Lose TNA Programming At Midnight

Tweet from DIRECTV:

Any Direct TV subscribers here? Can you confirm if the channels are up?
I have DirecTV...this has been happening a lot. It either comes down to the last minute or the channels will go off for no more than a week. One Impact might be sacrificed but it shouldn't be any more than that, if that. The same thing happened with the Fox cable channels last year. I think they were out for about a week, which was the longest anyone had been out for.

· Registered
10,151 Posts
Re: DirectTV May Lose TNA Programming At Midnight

This is exactly what TNA needs after Destination X, a shitty rating.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.