Wrestling Forum banner

Did you play wrestling as a kid and is it wrong ?

10525 Views 105 Replies 81 Participants Last post by  MarkusB
I remember as a kid apart from playing football and tig, playing wrestleing was my favourite passtime. Me my brother and two friends would go into the back garden with a inflatable matress with a real un-used matress underneath and play tag team matches and royal rumbles.... it was great fun.

Then that story about those two kids that died doing it came out. The WWF heavily stressed that this shouldnt be tried at home and that it was extremely dangerous.

Now i dont know about other kids but when i played wrestling as a kid we never hit each other properly, mostly it was thin air fighting, slams were done while standing on your knees and a swantom bomb was swapped for a forwards roll. I never got told off for doing this (although alot of the time my mum kept an eye on us) as we never got hurt and we knew were the line was, even as kids.

Did anyone else used to play wrestling and do you think its wrong? While its dangerous how dangerous do you think it is ?
Reactions: just1988
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

· Banned
4,476 Posts
Me and my brother "wrestled" on the floor sometimes. We stopped when he hit me with a chair.

My dad and I used to, too, but we stopped when I kicked him in the head and gave him a concussion.

I was, like, 6.

· Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,268 Posts
course I plaid wrestling when I was a kid I seem to remember making a cape and a mask out of some of my old pyjamas, me and my brother used to play it on my mum and dad's bed when they went out untill I fell off and cracked my head.whether it's wrong or not I wouldn't know but I spose it is pretty stupid and dangerous...fun whilst it lasted though

· The Fringe Lunatic
110 Posts
Yup. Looking back it was stupid and dangerous but back then it was so much fun. Read some books by wrestlers like Jerichos first and you'll see that plenty of wrestlers did it when they were kids.

On a side note WWE always hypes the 'don't try this at home' stuff but every Cena DVD I've seen has home footage of him wrestling with his brothers when they were little kids.

· Kit Kat
225 Posts
I played Wrestling when I was a kid and nowadays I wrestle with my kids. It's not dangerous unless you are retarted enough to think that wrestling is real.

My kids and I aren't retarted so I think we'll do just fine.

· Registered
981 Posts
I think my brother, my friends and I took it a bit further than most bc of how much I love it. We started our own CWF (Castano Wrestling Federation-I was 12 when we started it, so cut me some slack on the name). I would push my friends and brother to really learn how to do/take certain moves. We somewhat choreographed a few moves (IE, catching someones foot for a kick, and throwing them so they would back flip, land on their feet, then we'd double clothesline), talked our way through the rest of the matches and filmed them all. I presented a match in 8th grade Stone Cold (Me) vs Y2J (My Brother) for an assignment on our favorite hobby and got an A.

My brother and I taped matches until I was about 15-16, but more recently we've been flirting with the idea of "One Last Match." Something to do one more time that we used to love to do every day when we were younger. We wrestled on and off the trampoline, had our own belts, own personas, and different gimmick matches (IE a ladder match, but the belt was strapped up to the first branch of a tree instead of hanging straight down).

Tbh, it wasn't THAT dangerous. We got a few bumps and bruises once in a while, but nothing serious. The scariest looking injury we ever had was during the ladder match...my brother was climbing to the top and reaching toward the belt on the branch and I threw our tire swing into the ladder, it knocked the ladder over and he fell onto a pile of bikes...it was about 15 feet high, and even then he just got some scratches, cried for a min and was fine. It really was fun.

· The One Who Knocks
5,640 Posts
My friends and I had PPV-caliber matches on the playground all through middle school. I actually think I had the mechanics of the cross faced chicken wing down pretty well for a 7th grader.

1,268 Posts
I think the furthest we took it at school was creating a hardcore title being defended 24/7 and randomly trying to pin the current champion during science lessons just those sort of shenanigans

· Banned
48 Posts
When I was a kid we had the "Herb Tarlok Wrestling Federation" in my friend's basement. We used ripoff names. Instead of Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannety, the Rockers, we had Shane Nichols and Mark Jannardy, the Rock and Rollers. We had other names too, I just can't remember them. If we did it a few years later, we would probably have names like "Cool Rock Pete Boston" instead of "Stone Cold Steve Austin".

I even got a letter in the mail informing me that I was being stripped of the HTWF heavyweight championship because I hadn't defended it for 30 days.

· Registered
10,918 Posts
I think every kid played wrestling as a kid.

I used to play with my cousins when I was 5 or so. Also when I bored around the time when I was about 7 or 8 and RVD was one of my faves, I used to go on my bed and do nonstop rolling thunders. Pretty damn cool ones too.

But there was a time when I was about 6 and I put a pillow on my sister's stomach and told her "I'm gonna do a frog splash on you, don't worry the pillow would protect you" Well I nearly damn near killed my sister. On the plus side, it was an awesome frog splash!

Then when I was 11 I chokeslammed my sis on the bed but she hit her head on the bed head and then I stopped. I never did anything stupid. I just did fake punches, kicks and one moves. Ands often it wasn't even done properly. The frog splash incident was pure stupidity and choke slam was an honest mistake. But I never tried to do anything insane shit and I definitely don't practice BYW.

· Registered
106 Posts
My friend and i never took it much further than what the OP was talking about and I don't think it was wrong as long as you know the line. hell i still sometimes have a dummy wrestle with my son on the trampoline these days, I think it may have been wrong trying to put the sharpshooter on my friend when I was about 19 after a bit of a session in the pub and the nostalgic wrestling conversation came up. Don't think his leather jacket liked being scraped along the pavement tho!

1,268 Posts
Me and my mates used to go down the corner shop and ask for old boxes so we could use them as tables to put each other through

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Oh yes, good times.

We did entrances with music and filmed it. I was always Theodore Long and use to come in my step-dad's clothes who's about 5'8. I'm 6'2 so I'd come in looking like a gibbon in a suit lol.

One mate was Goldust, facepaint and-all, another was Mankind with Mr. Socko. Haha we really took it seriously.

We planned finishes before and improvised throughout, terrible wrestling though, like two smaller Great Khalis jumping around. I was very good at getting over, mainly because I'd use MVP's 'ballin'' to humorous effect.

You took me back a few years lol.

· The Man
29,641 Posts
I'm sure we all did.

I used to wrestle with my friend and brother. Put on some RAW-worthy matches, too.

Actually me and my brother had a "tables" match once: we were just going to pretend to put each other through the table for the finish. Of course I slipped off the couch and broke right through the thing: proudest moment of my wrestling career was when I broke that fucker in half.

· Registered
992 Posts
Me and my mates used the music from the WWF Anthology Cd's to create our entrances, PPV's, matches and filmed the lot :D Awesome fun. Although I did actually hurt my dad once with a stunner (cos I actually kicked him nailed on in the family jewels hahaha).

I will wrestle with my kids when the time arrives (I'm 19 goin on 20) and I think it's a good way of bonding. Although there'll be some sicko somewhere using it as an excuse to touch-up up his daughter (*cough* Vince *cough*).

I only ever got hurt once when I did a peoples elbow on my best mate and caught my elbow on the coffee table. I sold that so well my parents took me to A&E for stitches :D

· Registered
3,795 Posts
I also remember me and my brother having a 30-minute submission iron man match, because of the Angle v "Man who did not exists according to the WWE". He beat me on that occasion 5-3, we even timed it on a stopwatch.

I ended up tapping out to a ankle-lock and to add insult to injury he got me in a regal-stretch.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.