Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
60,001 Posts
I loved it. The were both two of my favorites and it brought an intensity that was theretofore unseen on a wrestling program, at least to my younger eyes. So much of RAW is highly forgettable. I still remember that segment as if it were aired yesterday. :mark:

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,554 Posts
It was certainly riveting television. Plus Pillman and Austin were just sooo damn good.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I thought it was awesome, one of my favourite angles ever. The funny part is at that point the full switch to an "attitude" type product was several months away and things were for the most part still pretty cartoonish and kid friendly. That angle really stood out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the product and is to date one of the edgiest, most shocking things the WWE ever did imo.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
lmao they literally NEVER talk about it after it happens. It was one of the first times where the WWF finally said "oooooooooooooookay maybe we took that one too far"

I loved it. Those are definitely the kind of "adult" angles we need more. It makes sense right? Two testosterone filled guys who are literally having a "fighting feud', where one guy takes it too far and comes to his home...and a gun gets involved. Think about all of the stuff that the WWF DID go forward with, but this one they thought was too edgy when, honestly, what's so edgy about it? IT felt real? was that the problem?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Its what happens when you push the envelope, sometimes it goes too far, but better off at least trying and mopping up the mess from a standpoint of success, than not trying at all and just withering away

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I loved it. Those are definitely the kind of "adult" angles we need more. It makes sense right? Two testosterone filled guys who are literally having a "fighting feud', where one guy takes it too far and comes to his home...and a gun gets involved. Think about all of the stuff that the WWF DID go forward with, but this one they thought was too edgy when, honestly, what's so edgy about it? IT felt real? was that the problem?
I don't know how much backlash it got back then, I was only a kid when I watched it, but WWE would receive a major shitstorm if it happened in today's society.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I was kinda hoping that Pillman would eventually get to work an angle with Austin but it wasn't to be. A healthy Pillman would have have brought a whole new meaning to the word-Attitude.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I don't know how much backlash it got back then, I was only a kid when I watched it, but WWE would receive a major shitstorm if it happened in today's society.
haha as far as i know it got a pretty negative shitstorm back then too. If you watch the following raw, they don't mention it at ALL.....i think there's a reason for that

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I wasn't crazy about it, but I did sit and pretty much watch the whole damn thing lol, which really was what the WWF intended at the time.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
At the time I did because I was an Austin fan and he could do no wrong. Although I'll admit, I did find it a bit scary. I enjoy it now because I enjoy pretty much anything with Brian Pillman in. The guy was just something else.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Brians death really robbed us of so many great Attitude Era moments. We are talking one of the most "Attitude" characters of all time dying mere months into a 4-5 year period where that character would be appreciated and free to express itself more than ever. Even though his body was already in a pretty bad state he still had plenty to offer just with his mic work and crazy personality.

Sigh...definitely one of the major "what if" stories in wrestling.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's weird to think about because in 1996 you have cheesy baby face HBK, pig farmers dumping slop on people, and maybe even the tail end of a garbage man wrestling and then they hit you with:
Brian Pillman's got a gun! And THEN we get Pillman yelling "kill that motherfucker" as the cameras fade out with a gunshot. Now that is the original SWERVE!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I thought it was great. Did they go to far? Maybe, but everyone has their different opinions. I will say this, I had you hooked to the TV. Unlike now, where you can miss a month and come back to the same clusterf*** that RAW has become.

·
Very stable genius
1,043 Posts
The angle was awesome, IMO. I loved when Austin tried to drown the dude in the kiddie pool.

Honestly, Pillman's "Loose Cannon" character was ahead of its time. If he weren't nagged by injuries and substance abuse, who knows where the gimmick would've taken him.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I actually loved it. I was rooting for Brian Pillman (damn those vests and shades) to actually go ahead and do the due. It was a completely radical and a detour from boring stuff that was around at that time. Pillman would have been GOLD in Attitude era in any role. He could have been the Piper with a twist to Austin's Hogan with grey in AE.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It was realistic. Some people do have a gun in their home to protect them from potential intruders, and if someone does break in they're going to use it, or at least threaten to use it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts