Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could Kairi have been a big star in WWE if Vince hadn't been in charge? Why do you think such an incredibly talented wrestler was booked so poorly and miscast so badly as she was on the WWE Main Roster?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kairi deserved to be booked a lot better than she was. She had earned it. Why the heck do y'all think she wasn't booked better? Is there any valid reason she wasn't?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Putting her in the ring with Nia Jax multiple times has likely given the poor girl brain damage at this point.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
11,212 Posts
Kairi deserved to be booked a lot better than she was. She had earned it. Why the heck do y'all think she wasn't booked better? Is there any valid reason she wasn't?
Just WWE M.O, they book almost everyone like that. As you can see, all the women have been wasted since Mania except for Sasha and Bayley. Kairi had the most potential out of the bunch though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I can't figure out is how Vince chooses who to push. Is there any rhyme or reason? Logic dictates that you push the most skilled and talented wrestlers, but, Vince just seems to push who he likes personally or those who are related to those he likes personally.

·
NBA
3,896 Posts
Well, everything started at TLC 2019. That was the main event of the PPV and she got a concussion there, in a match featuring Charltote, no less. At that point you can see they stopped using her as much as they were doing before. There's also the fact that she announced her intentions to retire and not renew her contract around this same time, which probably also played a factor. Prior to that, KW run was getting the best non top champion booking for some good 3 months.

Just WWE M.O, they book almost everyone like that. As you can see, all the women have been wasted since Mania except for Sasha and Bayley. Kairi had the most potential out of the bunch though.
I'd dare say Asuka has ended up faring quite well. You look back at how bleak things looked for her during and after the Carmella run and then look now and...not bad, not bad. Of course, people would rather eat mud than admit this because they are butthurt they ended up being proven wrong with that "wont ever get past midcard because muh english" spiel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely.

Kairi was one of the best babyfaces I've ever seen and her work with Io as Sky Pirates was amazing.
I never could take Kairi seriously as a heel cause she is too darn cute.

·
NBA
3,896 Posts
At the end of the day, Kairi never became a huge deal on the MR because she didnt stick around. Had she stayed, it would've been a different story, but she decided to retire.

Also, Stardom is, within the context of women's wrestling, as mainstream as the wwe's women's division is, so it's not as if she were this underrated indie name that never got to show what she was made of. She was and still is the most popular name over there from 2016 onwards. And this is coming from someone who's never been a fan of hers, yet seems I'm the only one who doesnt underplay said career.

Reactions: BlueRidgeKid777

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the end of the day, Kairi never became a huge deal on the MR because she didnt stick around. Had she stayed, it would've been a different story, but she decided to retire.

also, Stardom is, within the context of women's wrestling, as mainstream as the wwe's women's division is, so it's not as if she were this underrated indie name that never got to show what she was made of. She was and is still the the most popular name over there from 16 onwards. and this coming fromsomeone who's neevr been a fan of hers, yet seems I'm the only one who doesnt underplay said career.
I gave you the thumbs up for the second half of your post, which I had never thought about, and is totally correct. As for the first part, I still think Kairi was never going to have been given the chance to shine with Vince in charge.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,818 Posts
It sucked what they did, but in the very end: she was presented in Evolution ... the moment the whole women division was sacrificed for Rousey. Even Kairi had to work with Ronda`s shitty friends (Duke, marina) then. After Rousey was gone, the women division was fooked anyway. Bad timing for being there, very simple.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Kairi was screwed over, not only was Kairi was a jobber, came back to have from injury to have Nia split her head open. Kairi is a sweet person who deserved so much better than what she got from WWE. I don't blame her one bit for leaving but I do miss her.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
WWE for the most part really has no idea how to book properly. They had this popular female babyface who was very over (almost as over Asuka) and they squandered her to job to untalented hacks like Nia Jax. An Asuka vs Kairi WM match for the title would have been spectacular. I'm actually glad that Kairi decided to leave the WWE, and she most definitely made the right decision. I wouldn't be surprised she left because she realized that WWE's a nepotistic unsafe work environment (especially after that whole Nia fiasco) and that she deserved better.

This may or may not happen, but I hope she signs up with AEW in the future. A Riho vs Kairi or Kairi vs Shida matches would be spectacular.

·
Southern Pride
3,864 Posts
They may have had something with her that they didn't capitalize on. I'm not going to be completely negative of her.

However, she wouldn't have been any bigger of a star than Asuka or other Women. It's not like this was a situation that she could have "transcended womens wrestling" if given a huge push on her own.

I try not to say "booked properly" because most of the time that term is used whenever a wrestler isn't used the way that someone would like for them to be. A biased interest.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Vince sucks at booking & wastes 95% of his roster.
He only cares about certain performers. Unless a performer becomes super over and the fans start hijacking shows to support said performer, he will largely either a) ignore the fans or b) job the said performer to the wrestler that Vince actually wants positioned at the top.

One thing's for sure, at the end of the day, Vince cares about only one thing; how does the wrestler look. Doesn't matter the in ring ability, the charisma or the mic skills.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes and no.

Her wwe tenure was only 2,5 years long, and she won the may young classic, nxt womens title and womens tag titles.

She has no english skills, and she didn't have the same "it" factor as Asuka, so I think upper midcard with the occational main event was her ceiling anyways.

Maybe they should have used her for more big matches. But I'm pretty sure they were building her up. But once she let it be known that she wanted to go back to japan, any planned push was obviously put on hold.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts