Votes: 35 25.2%
  • No

Votes: 104 74.8%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWE feels like a indy show nowadays. WWE used to be a lot more focused on promos and being edgy than on the “wrestling aspect”. The realty era, seems to focus way more on developing smaller/indy talent with a focus on wrestling skills rather than mic skills.

Think of the huge contrast, people like Austin, Rock, and Hogan, were never AJ styles, they weren’t good in the ring but they were amazing in promos.

Is WWE focused too hard on developing wrestling talent rather than promo talent?

Are these indy stars that are only good with wrestling but sucks on the mic ruining the company?

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,261 Posts
no, WWE declined since the brand split in 2002.

but yes, indy wrestlers are ruining wrestling.

Reactions: egnuldt and Jam

·
Baby Yoda
30,149 Posts
Who are the top guys in the company? Who gets the big matches and moments?

Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar and Seth Rollins.

Seth Rollins is the second most pushed star from the last few years and he's getting the cover for the next WWE game. He's not close to Roman, but he's still one of their top stars who generally gets big matches and moments.

John Cena is being phased out, AJ is jobbing to Ellsworth, Ziggler, Bray, KO etc., Ambrose is working pre shows and Nakamura will be lost in the shuffle soon enough. The other indy darlings aren't even worth mentioning as they're irrelevant in the WWE's eyes.

Balor will probably join those three, but it will be back down to three after WM 34 with Lesnar retiring.

Also, it's real ignorant of you to assume it's only the indy darlings who can't work a mic.... What the fuck do you call Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, Sasha Banks and Bayley's work with a stick in hand? Those four are probably four of the worst mic workers in the entire company and are products of the Performance Center fpalm

Funnily enough, Aries, Joe, Neville, KO and Zayn are better on the mic than every PC product in the company not named Bray Wyatt or Miz.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Who are the top guys in the company, who get the big matches and moments?

John Cena is being phased out, AJ is jobbing to Ellsworth, Ziggler, Bray, KO etc., Ambrose is working pre shows and Nakamura will be lost in the shuffle soon enough. The other indy darlings aren't even worth mentioning as they're irrelevant in the WWE's eyes.

Balor will probably join those three, but it will be back down to three after WM 34 with Lesnar retiring.
Braun though. He'll get there.....right?

·
Baby Yoda
30,149 Posts
Braun though. He'll get there.....right?
He's saddled with the role of a monster which will limit how far he goes. Once he's beaten a few times he'll lose his charm, and he's not exactly the best babyface who will draw them big money.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yeah, he strikes me as he's getting the Umaga push where he main events and loses at a big event (eventually) and then is an upper midcard guy. But :( I want a Vader type character, damnit! Need an ass kicker out there.

edit: I just want to point out to OP here that my post directly contradicts your point. A thought that most of WF agrees with, btw.

·
Baby Yoda
30,149 Posts
Yeah, he strikes me as he's getting the Umaga push where he main events and loses at a big event (eventually) and then is an upper midcard guy. But :( I want a Vader type character, damnit! Need an ass kicker out there.

edit: I just want to point out to OP here that my post directly contradicts your point. A thought that most of WF agrees with, btw.
I don't see him going far with how they've used him. If they turned him into a monster a la Lesnar, he could be big.

To add to my point earlier, Punk takes a dump on nearly every FT wrestler in the company when it comes to mic work.

Only Heyman, Cena, Jericho and Miz are in his league.

·
Banned
19,285 Posts
WWE declined when they lost Austin and Rock within the space of a year. Never recovered. It was the same when they lost all their big stars in the early 90s, albeit they recovered for a few years in a time where the Internet was at his beginning and kayfabe was relatively more alive then it is today.

Ratings on a steady decline to the point where lack of stars created due to going balls deep with Cena is costing them. They have themselves to blame because they've turned wrestling into something no one wants to see, full of nauseating pandering to social media and charities to try and stay relevant instead of going against the grain and holding fingers up to the system.

Internet, lack of surprises, lack of creativity, lack of competition has all affected the WWE and the mindset of those in charge. That will never change.

Edit -

Nothing to do with the indy guys. The reason the WWE is full of indy guys is because developing your own talent is hard enough if the people you're bringing in have no experience. The lack of true competition like a WCW means that they have to scour the markets and get the top talent from elsewhere, which is the independent scene.

This is literally NO different to what they were doing when bringing in WCW and ECW talent except the fact that the independent companies they're bringing these guys in from just aren't as big and getting all those stars from WCW and ECW didn't harm the WWE, hell one of, if not the biggest stars in history (Austin) was brought in from ECW after a WCW run.

·
Registered
13,155 Posts
:HA

No.

It was on the decline waaaaay before that.

I think WWE is focusing on inring work so much because they think it's what the fans want to see, when in reality what we want is GOOD storylines, characters and scenarios oppose to the drivel they've been delivering... that or maybe they've started to realize their creative team sucks and are giving them less responsibility... but that kind of self awareness seems way to advanced for WWE....

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,633 Posts
cm punk and Bryan when at the top of the company had increase in the ratings. Seth Rollins however did not but he isn't the lowest ratings champion. Funny enough Seth Rollins is the most forgettable indy wrestler, I completely forgot he was Ring of Honor Champ.

Who ever is at the top of the company has the sole responsibility of drawing, that's reigns. For example disel is the lowest drawing champion ever even though everything was horrible, it's the same now. If your top guy doesn't even draw the hardcore fans then your company is f****d.

·
Registered
258 Posts
2010 where miz,delrio,rtruth etc caused decline.
2009 with Orton against cena and hhh had 3.57 avg raw rating up from 3.27 in 2008.
Miz is pretty good now.But,then not so much.
Super cena might have been another cause.

·
10,951 Posts
Who are the top guys in the company? Who gets the big matches and moments?

Seth Rollins is the second most pushed star from the last few years and he's getting the cover for the next WWE game. He's not close to Roman, but he's still one of their top stars who generally gets big matches and moments.

Also, it's real ignorant of you to assume it's only the indy darlings who can't work a mic.... What the fuck do you call Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, Sasha Banks and Bayley's work with a stick in hand? Those four are probably four of the worst mic workers in the entire company and are products of the Performance Center fpalm

Funnily enough, Aries, Joe, Neville, KO and Zayn are better on the mic than every PC product in the company not named Bray Wyatt or Miz.
Wait AJs a jobber like heath slater? But when hbk lost matches it was putting people over? Has losing become jobbing

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
The decline was happening because of internet darlings like Cena and Reigns. They were on top for a prolonged period but didn't draw more fans to the product.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
:HA

No.

It was on the decline waaaaay before that.

I think WWE is focusing on inring work so much because they think it's what the fans want to see, when in reality what we want is GOOD storylines, characters and scenarios oppose to the drivel they've been delivering... that or maybe they've started to realize their creative team sucks and are giving them less responsibility... but that kind of self awareness seems way to advanced for WWE....
im sorry but no, it wasnt
05 and 06 business picked up, they had superstars in the main events and great workers who could float in and out

as the size of the fighters decreased and the indy style increased the fans left, now i admit people like cena, orton and roman have turned fans away as well, but those are hardcores who just watch other products
the indy people have turned casuals away

1 - 20 of 84 Posts