Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was watching wrestling in 1997 but I was 6 years old when Survivor Series 1997 rolled around. I've read stories over the years about some wrestlers being suspicious at the time that Bret would get screwed at the PPV. I've heard that Vader was suspicious and that he warned Bret that he might get screwed because he witnessed many screwjobs in Japan. I've heard that The Undertaker might've even been suspicious and that even Bret became suspcious at some point.

What I wanna know is, were there some wrestling fans or dirt sheets at the time, that ever suspected something dodgy was going to happen to Bret on Bret's last night with the company at Survivor Series?

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
You got remember that the internet was not the massive monster that is today back then. Relatively few people had it. So the vast majority wouldn't have had a clue I don't think.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yes, smart fans were around then like today believe it or not. If you watch the match you can clearly notice a sign with wcw and bret's name on it or something like that. People knew of the situation but unlike today it was on a very small fractional percentage. Out of the whole building, I would probably say a handfull knew something about the situation through newsletters and insider radio shows.

To ventue and say that they knew a screwjob finish was happening, no. Nobody knew but Vince's inner circle and people involved.

Of course some of da boyz :austin could probably sense what could go down.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
back then it didnt feel like nothing special to me. it felt like some normal angle. there was a lot of controversy in wrestling, mostly worked of course, but back then nobody knew a lot about wrestling so you didnt know whats real and whats fake

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
You got remember that the internet was not the massive monster that is today back then. Relatively few people had it. So the vast majority wouldn't have had a clue I don't think.
It wasn't as big as it is today, but it was still big in 1997. There were most definitely forums like this and rampant speculation from the announcement that Bret was leaving for WCW. The IWC had expanded well beyond RSPW and AOL by this time and the Monday Night Wars, with fans having their "side" and needing places to debate, wrestling sites took off huge during the Monday Night Wars.

I remember there being a real air of uncertainty for Bret/Shawn. No one had literally any idea of what was going to happen. I remember when Bret was walking to the ring backstage and they had that bass track that they'd play before something major was about to go down (I believe this was the first time they'd used it) and everyone expecting a DQ finish or something.

We all knew Bret and Shawn hated each other heading into it, and that Bret dropping to Shawn was unlikely, but equally unlikely was Bret walking out with the belt.

What people didn't expect, however, was that it was going to be Bret's last WCW appearance. We knew that Bret was expected in WCW in December, so it was still likely that Bret would come out on RAW the next night and either drop or surrender the title.

No one called Vince pulling a "Bob Backlund" on Bret, though, except maybe the old school wrestlers backstage privately.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
It wasn't as big as it is today, but it was still big in 1997. There were most definitely forums like this and rampant speculation from the announcement that Bret was leaving for WCW. The IWC had expanded well beyond RSPW and AOL by this time and the Monday Night Wars, with fans having their "side" and needing places to debate, wrestling sites took off huge during the Monday Night Wars.

I remember there being a real air of uncertainty for Bret/Shawn. No one had literally any idea of what was going to happen. I remember when Bret was walking to the ring backstage and they had that bass track that they'd play before something major was about to go down (I believe this was the first time they'd used it) and everyone expecting a DQ finish or something.

We all knew Bret and Shawn hated each other heading into it, and that Bret dropping to Shawn was unlikely, but equally unlikely was Bret walking out with the belt.

What people didn't expect, however, was that it was going to be Bret's last WCW appearance. We knew that Bret was expected in WCW in December, so it was still likely that Bret would come out on RAW the next night and either drop or surrender the title.

No one called Vince pulling a "Bob Backlund" on Bret, though, except maybe the old school wrestlers backstage privately.
That's very interesting insight, thanks for that. I was 6 at the time and only watching WCW :lol

I figured the internet was still in the dark ages back then but I guess I was wrong :eek:.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Internet wasn't huge but if you were a wrestling fan, you knew how to get info. I remember finding out through an ECW Hotline ad that played, that weekend, announcing that Bret was going to WCW. At that point, a lot of people knew. At the time, I honestly just assumed that Bret would lose since he was leaving.

Back then, rumor mills were a little more rampant since kayfabe was still somewhat honored and there weren't a whole lot of insiders to debunk them. A lot of times, people would take pieces of info from the past and use it as their own way of figuring out the inside story.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
I disagree about the internet not being big. I would even argue it was BIGGER back then. Why do you think WCW played up the behind the scenes stuff so much? Hogan played right into the persona of being a master politician with a huge ego on television because that is what everyone online was saying about the guy. Or how about HBK telling people 'HBK LAYS DOWN FOR NOBODY"? That was directed towards the net.

I remember one Monday Night Raw broadcast where it was predicted Road Warriors were winning the title and the talk was all over the internet started by Scoops. The next day it was said the finish was changed because it got out on the net.

In Canada people DEFINITELY knew Bret was leaving because he did an interview on OTR complaining that Vince possibly leaked that he was jumping. He was getting you sold out chants at house show before Survivor Series.

Now the screwjob NO ONE knew about that. Even at the time no one was sure, but I will admit that it looked "off" to me and strange.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
I was 12 at that time. My buddies and I were always talking about WWE... I never had access to any behind the scenes talk, and neither did my friends. While the sources were there... it wasn't something that majority of the viewers were reading and "in the know" from my perspective...

The atmosphere leading up to the Survivor Series was epic! It wasn't just another PPV... Bret/Shawn had been going at each other so much throughout 1997 on RAW, you just could feel how serious their issues were with each other. Their promo's didn't ever come across as scripted, they felt as real as anything you would ever hear from two people that couldn't stand the sight of each other, but they're being forced to talk about it for up to 10 minutes each week...

When the event happened, and things rolled over to the next night on RAW, I could sense things were off... but since I didn't know about the behind the scenes stuff, I didn't actually realize how serious things were, and that a legit screw job had taken place until some time later. I really don't recall at what moment things came together and I had a complete understanding of what went on and why it had to happen.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I wasn't online yet. Nor were any of my wrestling fan friends, and I had quite a few. But I did call a free wrestling hotline every day. Hotline guy said Bret was leaving WWF for WCW a few days before Survivor Series. Now I was the biggest WWF fanboy/Bret Hart fan ever at the time. I hated WCW with a passion and Bret had become my hero by fighting the good fight against those jerks Austin & DX. So I didn't want to believe the rumor. And I was gutted when I saw how it went down. I mean I was honestly depressed for a few days. It was just....so wrong. I got over it pretty quickly though.

TL;DR- Bret was rumored to be leaving but I never expected it to go down the way it did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.