Wrestling Forum banner

Did we need 40?

3245 46
Orton didn't need to be in it. Ziggler didn't need to. Especially after a stellar performance earlier in losing effort getting discarded in the rumble recked his momentum. Hornswoggle didn't. You didn't have to put every Corre and nexus member in there. Take away some jobbers and you round it up to a total of 30 left.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Think the booking of the middle portion with Punk's "Nexus" owning the 'Rumble almost made it a necessity, because if you do that with 30, suddenly practically half the 'Rumble is either Punk's "Nexus" group or people eliminated by them... but I'm not sure one way or the other, honestly.

Tyson Kidd was thoroughly humiliated; seems like he's WWE creative's favorite whipping boy at the moment. No DH Smith? Aw.

Reactions: alejbr4

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think the booking of the middle portion with Punk's "Nexus" owning the 'Rumble almost made it a necessity, because if you do that with 30, suddenly practically half the 'Rumble is either Punk's "Nexus" group or people eliminated by them... but I'm not sure one way or the other, honestly.

Tyson Kidd was thoroughly humiliated; seems like he's WWE creative's favorite whipping boy at the moment. No DH Smith? Aw.
I'm sure some members on here has something to say about that. But I get it.

Them cleaning house got the message across especially eliminating the favorite John Morrison like nothing.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree there are around 15-16 that had no place in the rumble. Nexus took out Byran & JoMo and then should have taken out one jobber and Booker T that would have shown their domination. It went on and on for too long with one jobber after another. Also, I don't want to see Cena, Orton, Edge, HHH, Taker and Y2J in the last 6 just once. They steal too much focus from other wrestlers.

·
Premium Member
35,520 Posts
I could take or leave it tbh. I don't feel like it hampered the match, with the exception of the hornswoggle stuff going on for a few entrants to long. I enjoyed the Nexus stuff a lot, it made me anticapate the next entrance more, even with it being fairly predictable how it would unfold.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Orton and Ziggler definitely weren't needed, and I'm still baffled at why they were put in. ESPECIALLY Ziggler if they were just gonna job him out like that. SES 2.0 and Swoggle dragged far too long. I didn't have too much of a problem with it though, but the Corre should have had a way better showing. Barrett was expected to do well, but what the hell was that about with Gabriel and Slater? Especially Slater, feed the jobbers to Swoggle, not someone who's actually in a worthwhile angle. But, 40 was fine by me. Don't increase it any more though. 50 just screams clusterfuck.

·
Banned
319 Posts
I personally think the only reason they did 40 was so they could do this whole Nexus - Corre thing. Threw a couple more guys in there. Had an extra space, gave that midget a call, filled that space. And bam. Royal Rumble 2011.

·
Dragon Slayer
6,701 Posts
Could have replaced hornswoggle with someone meaningful like Evan Bourne. Even if Bourne obviously has 0 chance of winning hes still someone who can do something unlike a midget. Other than that I liked the 40 men. It seemed 30 flew by last night. Maybe if they hadn't had one face after another thrown out one at a time in the middle, or maybe if Cena didn't bury Nexus (again) it would have seemed better, but it feels like without 40 the RR last night wasn't complete.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Definitely. Whenever a big star like Cena or Orton etc comes into the match, they eliminate two or three guys straight off the bat. They had so many big stars this year capable of winning, if you combine them with Nexus/Corre then you'd have basically no other midcarders to be eliminated.

You would have either had Main eventers eliminating each other straight away (which could potentially bury someone's credibility) or Nexus/Corre would make zero impact (which would squash their weeks of Rumble build).

Was definitely a neccessity. People say that the likes of Ryder or Tatsu have no chance of winning the thing but they're still needed to make the bigger guys look good.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,625 Posts
I don't think they needed in the slightest. I thought when they announced it that they were going to smash some records, or give someone a big push by smashing some kind of record. For example, the total amount of time spent in the rumble, or the total eliminations etc But they didn't do anything with the added ten men. They didn't need to be there and nobody benefited from it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.