Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Biker Taker sucked, Ministry Taker was his best work in my opinion.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Time wise, it was in late Aug 1999...it had only been seven months since WCW had been competitive.

That’s when BikerTaker actually began, not his return after WrestleMania 2000. By the time he left due to injury that fall he had already made the transition; all that remained was changing the entrance theme.
It didn't began there, tho. He was wearing "street clothes" because he didn't wrestle due to injury which is something he did on few occasions in 1998. as well.

The mannerisms (eye roll) was still there, music, hanging around with his Ministry buddies still there and there was no bike to be seen.

Even for a short period after returning at Judgment Day, the Tombstone and eyeroll were still present. ABA gimmick began mid 2000.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
It didn't began there, tho. He was wearing "street clothes" because he didn't wrestle due to injury which is something he did on few occasions in 1998. as well.

The mannerisms (eye roll) was still there, music, hanging around with his Ministry buddies still there and there was no bike to be seen.

Even for a short period after returning at Judgment Day, the Tombstone and eyeroll were still present. ABA gimmick began mid 2000.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Proves nothing, he was onscreen in street clothes in 1997. (Kane is coming promo) and 1998. (McMahon confrontation and few others)

The real change came in mid 2000. when he began wrestling in jeans, changed his finisher and dead man mannerisms and started riding bikes on screen.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Proves nothing, he was onscreen in street clothes in 1997. (Kane is coming promo) and 1998. (McMahon confrontation and few others)

The real change came in mid 2000. when he began wrestling in jeans, changed his finisher and dead man mannerisms and started riding bikes on screen.
True. All I will say is that he began the transition in Sep 1999, and had the injury not intervened we would have seen the American BA far earlier.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
This is most likely complete bs. By the time he changed his gimmick WWF was beating WCW in every way possible. Plus, Mark Callaway is know to be extremely loyal to Vince and is on the record saying he never even considered WCW as an option.

His dark supernatural gimmick was getting stale in the Attitude era where the winning formula was to "be yourself with the volume turend way up" which is exactly what he did with ABA
Yeah I never heard Taker changing to the gimmick because he wanted to jump either back then. I do agree though he never really could have jumped because he even knew it would be kind of pointless going there without that Taker character. He would not be as over. I think that much more than him being "loyal" to Vince especially after what he saw they did with Bret.

Also, WCW already had their veteran biker lol.

·
All Out
Penta El Presente Nombre Is 1 Name Change Away From Being Johnny Penta To Me Forever. TalentedAF Tho
3,021 Posts
I think OP’s comedy went above everyone’s head lol. Yes, that’s the only reason he changed the character lol.

He was hesitant return to the character in 2004 (after doing the biker gimmick from 2000-2003), and only agreed to return to the deadman gimmick with a reduced schedule. Maybe the OP was right, too long of an entrance to walk so slowly lol…

Reactions: WWE2014

·
Registered
482 Posts
that he didn't gas himself out before even getting to the ring? It must have been a long walk at his weight at the time, especially at WrestleManias.

What an incredible brain to think of such an idea and make everyone think it was just for an image make-over. He even almost fooled me.

the story of the gimmick is changed depends of how old and the mood of the undertaker when you asked him.

so the idea of convienience, it has high probability of being true.

·
Bleep, bloop, bloam, goodbye to your home.
8,056 Posts
He simply thought it was time for a change, after 9 years of playing the same character he felt the need to mix things up. Coming back from his long injury absence was the right time in his oppinion. He said so in a talk wth Steve Austin and also maintained that he needed something fitting for the Attitude era.

There are a lot of other stories though i heard over the years. Like Calaway being a bit sick of the Undertaker gimmick and how it got more and more demonic. Also that he was a biker and just wanted to do that for a gimmick.

I didn't like it. Not only was ist sad to see the real Undertaker go, but also the fact that there were so many, many biker gimmicks in wrestling already (WWF had the DOA just before for example) that it felt incredibly lame and uninspired.
I recall watching the documentary about him where he explained that he made the biker gimmick because he felt that he needed change. You can go only so long as the deadman and last thing you want is your character to get stale for the audience.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts