Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that he didn't gas himself out before even getting to the ring? It must have been a long walk at his weight at the time, especially at WrestleManias.

What an incredible brain to think of such an idea and make everyone think it was just for an image make-over. He even almost fooled me.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had heard it was more so he could have a different gimmick to fall back on if he ever jumped ship. Mark Callaway in street clothes is a little easier to pull off without trademark issues than trying to move around a "Dead Man" character.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
that he didn't gas himself out before even getting to the ring? It must have been a long walk at his weight at the time, especially at WrestleManias.

What an incredible brain to think of such an idea and make everyone think it was just for an image make-over. He even almost fooled me.

As another poster said, he did it with the mind of having the ability to jump to WCW in the future and carry the gimmick with him. The Deadman couldn’t be brought over. But if Mark Calloway the Biker was established in WWE for six months or so as Undertaker, he could jump to WCW as Mark Calloway and bring the gimmick. Cant really trademark a biker using his real name if you are WWE.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
He simply thought it was time for a change, after 9 years of playing the same character he felt the need to mix things up. Coming back from his long injury absence was the right time in his oppinion. He said so in a talk wth Steve Austin and also maintained that he needed something fitting for the Attitude era.

There are a lot of other stories though i heard over the years. Like Calaway being a bit sick of the Undertaker gimmick and how it got more and more demonic. Also that he was a biker and just wanted to do that for a gimmick.

I didn't like it. Not only was ist sad to see the real Undertaker go, but also the fact that there were so many, many biker gimmicks in wrestling already (WWF had the DOA just before for example) that it felt incredibly lame and uninspired.

·
Registered
Member of Chelsea WFireflies/WFyatt Family/whatever. In Chelsea we trust.
1,487 Posts
Scotty to Hotty and Brain Christopher had a biker gimmick with Skull and Eight Ball.
Chuck Palumbo also had the biker gimmick. I remember Noble had managed to pin Palumbo with a fluke roll up. Palumbo put the bike wheel next to Nobles face and turned the bike on crowd went mad cheering Palumbo

Biker Taker was awful I knew a lot of massive Taker fans who hated him when he became Big Evil

·
Registered
933 Posts
As another poster said, he did it with the mind of having the ability to jump to WCW in the future and carry the gimmick with him. The Deadman couldn’t be brought over. But if Mark Calloway the Biker was established in WWE for six months or so as Undertaker, he could jump to WCW as Mark Calloway and bring the gimmick. Cant really trademark a biker using his real name if you are WWE.
This is most likely complete bs. By the time he changed his gimmick WWF was beating WCW in every way possible. Plus, Mark Callaway is know to be extremely loyal to Vince and is on the record saying he never even considered WCW as an option.

His dark supernatural gimmick was getting stale in the Attitude era where the winning formula was to "be yourself with the volume turend way up" which is exactly what he did with ABA

·
Registered
#1 Bliss fan translator
4,396 Posts
He simply thought it was time for a change, after 9 years of playing the same character he felt the need to mix things up. Coming back from his long injury absence was the right time in his oppinion. He said so in a talk wth Steve Austin and also maintained that he needed something fitting for the Attitude era.

There are a lot of other stories though i heard over the years. Like Calaway being a bit sick of the Undertaker gimmick and how it got more and more demonic. Also that he was a biker and just wanted to do that for a gimmick.

I didn't like it. Not only was ist sad to see the real Undertaker go, but also the fact that there were so many, many biker gimmicks in wrestling already (WWF had the DOA just before for example) that it felt incredibly lame and uninspired.
Yeah basically this. Undertaker gimmick was loved by Vince, but not Mark, though he allowed him to do the biker gimmick because of his loyalty and it was essentially a reward. Taker was just playing himself which is what he wanted at the time and for me it's the Taker I preferred

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scotty to Hotty and Brain Christopher had a biker gimmick with Skull and Eight Ball.
Chuck Palumbo also had the biker gimmick. I remember Noble had managed to pin Palumbo with a fluke roll up. Palumbo put the bike wheel next to Nobles face and turned the bike on crowd went mad cheering Palumbo

Biker Taker was awful I knew a lot of massive Taker fans who hated him when he became Big Evil
Skull and 8-Ball weren't Too Cool, they were the Harris Brothers. They would go on to stink up WCW in various capacities before, I believe, starting Anthem Sports and purchasing TNA. They also may be neo-nazis, depending on who you believe in the locker room about what tattoos they have.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
This is most likely complete bs. By the time he changed his gimmick WWF was beating WCW in every way possible. Plus, Mark Callaway is know to be extremely loyal to Vince and is on the record saying he never even considered WCW as an option.

His dark supernatural gimmick was getting stale in the Attitude era where the winning formula was to "be yourself with the volume turend way up" which is exactly what he did with ABA
The Undertaker has admitted in the past that he considered jumping to WCW. Problem was his character didn't fit the reality based WCW.

·
Banned
41 Posts

Yea idk what these people are smoking, there is interview after Taker's recent retirement where he literally says he needed to change because time's have changed and Deadman character was getting stale.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Skull and 8-Ball weren't Too Cool, they were the Harris Brothers. They would go on to stink up WCW in various capacities before, I believe, starting Anthem Sports and purchasing TNA. They also may be neo-nazis, depending on who you believe in the locker room about what tattoos they have.
They were also the Blu Brothers in the WWF before they got rehired as part of DOA
and yes they had massive SS tattos on their arms, which they later half-assed turned into snakes or tribal shit:

Ron Harris became infamous when he thought this would be a perfect shirt

for television

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

It’s BS only if Nash is lying. He’s on record saying that this was why Taker changed his gimmick. Time wise, it was in late Aug 1999...it had only been seven months since WCW had been competitive.

That’s when BikerTaker actually began, not his return after WrestleMania 2000. By the time he left due to injury that fall he had already made the transition; all that remained was changing the entrance theme.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
only if Nash is lying
And when doesn't he?
He is bullshitting around, for kicks, to amuse himself and talks crap anyway. The best example was during a Kayfabe Commentaries - was it Timeline or YouShoot or Breaking Kayfabe? He was there and tried to explain to Sean Oliver that if you mix 2 shitty red wines you get a good red wine that could sell for double the price, because nobody could figure out it's a mix of two bad wines. He claims he knows something about wine, even has his own wine on the market. He's a fucking idiot.
And a liar
He still doesn't take responsiblity for the WCW booking. He variously claimed he either took over in January or February, when most sources (Torch, Lariat, Fuck Meltzer) mentioned that a) he always had creative control and b) his booking power grew bigger in November, as he already was on the booking team since 1997 behind Sullivan and Taylor as well as Hogan and Flair

1 - 20 of 35 Posts