Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What do you guys think? I obviously don't think Triple H buried CM Punk but he's not as hot as he was at MITB and SS. Did Triple H hurt CM Punk's character or is it that him being "baby face" doesn't work with his character?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
He hurt him bad.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
Wouldn't say its completely HHH's fault but CM Punk's big angle over the summer has gotten progressively worse since Triple H/Nash/Ace/AwesomeTruth etc. have gotten involved. Was a lot of fun when it was just Punk sticking it too the WWE and their boy John Cena, and Cena and Punk work off each other really well, but yeah.

Regarding Triple H I don't hate the guy but i'm at the point I wouldn't mind never seeing him on TV again, only ever thought he was half as great as WWE wants you to think anyways.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think everyone was expecting something big (like HHH turning heel or return of the NWO) from Punk/HHH/Nash triangle but it ended up without a huge shock.

About HHH buried Punk: I don't think HHH buried Punk in anyway. Why would anyone consider, Punk beating HHH for the most portion of the match and HHH needing 3 pedigrees to beat Punk, as a burial is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think it hurt when Punk's focus broadened from Cena and a stale WWE (something we can relate to) to backstage politics in general. I remember during one of the Trips/Punk debates when Punk is going on about how big men dominate, Vince likes big men, etc. It's like... what does that have to do with anything? Near the end Punk was just shooting on everything with no rhyme or reason and when Trips called him out on it, he came off looking like a whiney douche. I hate to say it because Punk is probably my current top fav, but this feud was going nowhere the second Cena was takin from the equation... hell, even before that when Cena acknowledged Punk's viewpoint and tried buddying up with him... that took the wind out of Punk's sails way before Trips and Nash.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Poor, on-the-fly storyline writing is what killed Punk's momentum.... From bringing Punk straight back, to crowning Rey as interim champ, to the introduciton of Nash when he wasn't fit to compete...

All the HHH/Punk match itself did was show the casuals that Punk is more than capable of hangin' with yet another elite superstar.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Neither, the angle was always going to die down eventually, what else shocking could have Punk said without out right saying wrestling is scripted? They did that in WCW and it killed it.

The angle has helped Punk immensely, he's gone from a upper midcard heel to one of the faces of the company that never loses clean.

·
Registered
945 Posts
^^^Bearing in mind he didn't even get to beat Cena cleanly, do you not think at least one decisive victory was necessary to cement Punk's new standing?

Regardless of any hate for HHH, writers, Cena or wheover, I think that's the common sentiment amongst many of Punks fan (particularly accross the IWC)... Fear that Punk may just slowly trickle back down the card like he has been allowed to when he's previously earned himself the spotlight.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Hurt him. But I don't think it's done yet.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
The booking of the angle is what hurt him and technically that included HHH so I guess you can lay the blame on him if that's what you want to do. Although I wouldn't exactly say that he has been hurt. The guy beat Cena twice and it took 2 Pedigree's not to mention an army of interference for HHH to beat him and only just. Right now he's as credible as he ever looked so I'd hardly say that he has been hurt by what happened. His momentum is what has taken the biggest hit imo which was naturally going to happen anyway as nothing can stay fresh forever. They sure as hell could have handled things SO much fucking better than they did though, that much is certain.

Whether he was told to say these things or whether he just came up with them himself, I think the thing that did the most damage was his constant pot shots at HHH who didn't do anything wrong. Of course the whole Nash debacle probably screwed their plans up but even still, if Punk/WWE knew that the plan wasn't for HHH to turn heel then having Punk act like a little douche is the main reason why a lot of people didn't get behind him. That and the fact that he wasn't facing Cena anymore therefore he wasn't the automatic best choice for a lot of people. There are a lot of reasons why this angle didn't live up to its potential but putting all the blame on HHH is just silly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think the feud is done, and hopefully HHH will turn CM Punk to a major force in wrestling.
Amen.We need punk as a major force in wrestling.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts