Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Re: Did The Undertaker ruin his legacy ?

At this point it’s like an ongoing joke to me. It’s actually gotten to the point where I’m legitimately finding it funny when another Taker match falls apart.

Taker had a bad match.
Taker: “I can’t go out like that.”
Proceeds to Have a worse match next time around.

WASH. RINSE. REPEAT.

If he wants to keep collecting those checks more power to him. I want shit anyone for excepting a payday.

But I’m at the point now where if he ends up in a wheel chair a few years from now I won’t feel sympathetic in the least. Taker himself said a while back that he wanted to retire before he got to the point that he is now. Well I guess he stopped caring.

·
Southern Pride
3,206 Posts

The Undertaker hasn't ruined his legacy. He will always be one of the greats that ever stepped foot in the ring no matter how long he stays active.

Look at Flair and his later matches. They weren't classics and no one attaches those matches to his overall success in career.

Obviously The Undertaker is all about the spectacle of him at this point and I see no issue with it, other than that his matches clearly shouldn't go too long. To some people, experiencing him live in person may still be special.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,140 Posts

No he hasn't ruined his legacy. Say what you will about the last few years but he has still cultivated a great career for himself that has spanned nearly 30 years.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

It definitely taints my personal opinion of his legacy. His loss to Brock Lesnar should have been the end of his career, but look at everything that he has done since then:

Wrestlemania 31: Defeats Bray Wyatt: THey had to give him his win back and did it at the expense of an up and rising star.
Summerslam 2015: Defeats Brock Lesnar: This wasn't needed either. Why cancel out the huge win that Lesnar had over him?
Hell in a Cell 2015: Loses to Brock Lesnar: Again, these rematches weren't necessary, this match wasn't the end of the world I guess
Survivor Series 2015: w/Kane defeats the Wyatt Family: Burying the Wyatts again. One of the many things that stopped the Wyatts momentum.
Wrestlemania 32: defeats Shane McMahon: Meh, wasn't really a match, just a set up to a huge Shane spot
Wrestlemania 33: Loses to Roman Reigns: Terrible match. Crowd was pissed and the fake "Goodbye" at the end was just to trick people into being ok with Roman because he "retired" The Undertaker but he didn't
Wrestlemania 34: defeats John Cena: Pointless
Greatest Royal Rumble: Defeats Rusev: Bury young up and coming talent again
Super SHow Down: Lost to Triple H: I DOn't even remember this match honestly
Crown Jewel: w/Kane lost to DX: Terrible embarrassing match
Super Showdown: defeats GOldberg: Complete Embarrassment

So he has basically spent the last 5 years competing in matches that at best are a waste of time and burying young talent or at worst complete embarrassments. There hasn't been a single great match or great moment. All I know is every single time I hear the Undertaker is coming back I have ZERO feelings of excitement and I usually end up just being annoyed. That alone makes his legacy tarnished for me.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

Last really good to great match was against Punk at Mania 29. His last solid outing was his series against Brock in 2015.

His legacy is fine. He's still and will remain known as one of the greatest wrestling stars/characters of all time.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts

Obviously this thread was created after what was seen on the Saudi PPV. Granted that didn't look good. But there were so many factors that contributed to that. Goldberg apparently got hurt early in the match. Both men are not young. And the heat in the arena didn't make matters any better.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,829 Posts

Was Willie Mays less of a player because of his terrible final years with the Mets? Joe Namath with the Rams? Stop. Performing terribly at the end doesn't make your overall career less great.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts

Of course he did. He ruined his legacy with that pathetic excuse of a match with Lesnar at WM 30. Then he kept making it worse with his matches with Wyatt, Lesnar (where even Austin who as much as he respects Undertaker, rolled up his eyes when idiots in the crowd were chanting "YOU STILL GOT IT"), Cena, Reigns, and more. He also has proven himself to be a world class hypocrite by overstaying his welcome.

Undertaker at this stage in his career is a hazard who has yet to deliver a semi decent or watchable match since his match with CM Punk.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Obviously this thread was created after what was seen on the Saudi PPV. Granted that didn't look good. But there were so many factors that contributed to that. Goldberg apparently got hurt early in the match. Both men are not young. And the heat in the arena didn't make matters any better.
Goldberg knocked himself out when he hit the ring post which also caused him to bleed badly, it was a hard way cut and not a blade job.
This is what people are overlooking, the match was fine up until Goldberg's injury, despite the ages of the two talents the match was a big attraction and something I was looking forward to seeing, it was just unfortunate that Goldberg got injured and it ruined the match, he apologised for what happened on social media.
WWE maybe should have thought twice about having these two guys work in that kind of heat but I'm sure they were under pressure from the Saudi's to deliver a big main event.
I would be fine with WWE having The Undertaker vs Sting on a future Saudi show, I'm sure the two men would work hard beforehand to lay out a good match, plus as people have said half of the appeal with The Undertaker is the spectacle not his ring work. Goldberg vs Taker was all about the spectacle they only needed to deliver a passable match and they did but sadly people will only remember the screwed up finish.
Someone said about a Goldberg vs Orton match, that would be a good shout for a final match for Goldberg as Randy could probably carry him to something pretty watchable.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts

What legacy? he barely had 4 good matches in his career.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts

No lol, just hasn't exactly enhanced it

He's still top tier for now

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,829 Posts

10 years ago he was compared to Hart, HBK, Flair
Now he’s compared to Big Show, Kane, Kevin Nash, lol
No. Let's not exaggerate. People aren't saying that.

What legacy? he barely had 4 good matches in his career.

There's four GREAT Undertaker matches, and that's just 1997 alone.

·
Registered
14,113 Posts

He needs to let it go, but I don't feel any less appreciative of his career.. I fear for his safety, but I don't appreciate him any less.

·
Registered
737 Posts

His last truly great feud/match was with Punk at WM 29. I don't care what anyone says.

·
Banned
11,533 Posts

I ignore him. He will always be a legend, but now he is like Triple H level where it's almost just like, 'just fuck off already'.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

Why would I be trolling?

Brock vs Taker at HIAC 2015 is widely considered a great match. Feel free to disagree but know that you're in the minority.
is it?

opinion seems split going off this topic

:lmao at half way decent. That match was an all-time classic.

His matches against CM Punk (WM29) and Brock Lesnar (Summerslam and Hell in a Cell) we're all good to great.
lol

it wasn't even the best match he's had with both either triple h or hbk but ok

it was the perfect time for him to retire but we saw how that panned out

41 - 60 of 129 Posts