Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't believe Jeff Hardy would have became World Champion if he was in another era or had a different targeted audience. Jeff is more of a kid's champion because he can do the stunts. Jeff would also make adult fans, he wouldn't be a creditable champion to an adult audience. If this was a different era then Jeff would have most likely stayed in the tag team division and once in a while go outside it to seek an U.S title.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
By the time Jeff was elevated into the main event on a permanent basis, he had already conquered the mid-card. There was nothing left for him to do there. A reign with the U.S. Title was almost beneath him. I'm hardly his biggest fan, but the guy was fucking OVER and then some.

Yes. The kids loved him, but he also had his fair share of older fans in the crowds, too. He wasn't exactly Rey Mysterio like you're trying to imply.

Furthermore, I think a lot of credit should go to the way Jeff's character was booked & carefully handled during his build-up to the World Title victory. Freddie Prinze Jr. has been credited with a lot of that - and if that's true - then I think Freddie was a great asset to the creative team. Jeff was absolutely believable as a loose cannon in those few months.

Jeff's series of matches with Triple H, with all the "close call" finishes, felt very much like Sting's clashes with Flair back in the day. It was all about establishing Jeff and making him into a credible threat to the title. It did just that. So, by the time Jeff captured the gold, it was logical. It made sense.

So, no. I don't think Jeff wouldn't have held the title in a different era. It really doesn't matter. For Jeff to fail to get a World Title, you'd have to subtract so many things from the equation. The series of matches with Triple H, the numerous reigns as Intercontinental Champion, the great build-up and booking he received on SmackDown, his unreal level of popularity at that time, etc., etc., etc.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Jeff also had a lot of popularity with 20 somethings who watched him in the Attitude Era. And women freakin' love him.

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,284 Posts
The kids helped him get to Main Event status because he was over like crazy with them. If he was getting John Morrison reactions from the crowd he would be no where near the title.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Jeff did way more than just stunts - he was a lot more talented than that. I still can't comprehend the argument that Hardy was only good in gimmick matches as if being in the ring with a ladder is guaranteed entertainment. Eighty percent of ECW was poor wrestling as it takes a lot of skill and ability to make gimmick matches seem meaningful and authentic. Jeff was/is a master at that and deserves more credit.

His charisma and unique, entertaining in ring style is what made him popular.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
He was over with the young people because of his look and style, not his wrestling. A lot of older fans enjoy the stunts. The only people who disparage the 'spotmonkeys' and stunt guys are IWC workrate nerds, who are entertained by stuff that bores the shit out of everyone else. To most people, when a guy does a backflip through a table, they think "that's fucking awesome.' rather than 'boooo, please more in-ring storytelling, he should have worked the leg more"

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
I pretty much hate him but the guy was money and from a business point of view he deserved to be on top no matter how much of an ungrateful git he was/is

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
He was over with the young people because of his look and style, not his wrestling. A lot of older fans enjoy the stunts. The only people who disparage the 'spotmonkeys' and stunt guys are IWC workrate nerds, who are entertained by stuff that bores the shit out of everyone else. To most people, when a guy does a backflip through a table, they think "that's fucking awesome.' rather than 'boooo, please more in-ring storytelling, he should have worked the leg more"
Jeff Hardy is a great wrestler imo. Super entertaining, a tremendous seller and one of the finest babyfaces in peril in wrestling history.

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
Jeff Hardy is a great wrestler imo. Super entertaining, a tremendous seller and one of the finest babyfaces in peril in wrestling history.
alrite calm down thats insane

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
As much as I favored Matt over Jeff for years, the fact remains - from 2006 onward, Jeff was the superior performer in every single aspect of the game. Seriously. Go back and watch his matches.

Jeff had exciting, well-paced matches against everyone they put him in the ring with from the time of his return. He improved by leaps and bounds during his last WWE stint. I honestly have no qualms with calling him a former World Champion for that run alone.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Anyone who watched during the Attitude Era knows that Jeff Hardy was just as much of a fan favorite back then as he is today. It just took them 10 years and Jeff to stay clean to finally push him to the Main Event.

And sure the Kids may have had their part but when DON'T they? In my eyes Jeff has always been loved by EVERYONE because of the insane spots he would pull so regardless of the kids, he was bound to get the strap.

·
Premium Member
25,943 Posts
By the time Jeff was elevated into the main event on a permanent basis, he had already conquered the mid-card. There was nothing left for him to do there. A reign with the U.S. Title was almost beneath him. I'm hardly his biggest fan, but the guy was fucking OVER and then some.

Yes. The kids loved him, but he also had his fair share of older fans in the crowds, too. He wasn't exactly Rey Mysterio like you're trying to imply.

Furthermore, I think a lot of credit should go to the way Jeff's character was booked & carefully handled during his build-up to the World Title victory. Freddie Prinze Jr. has been credited with a lot of that - and if that's true - then I think Freddie was a great asset to the creative team. Jeff was absolutely believable as a loose cannon in those few months.

Jeff's series of matches with Triple H, with all the "close call" finishes, felt very much like Sting's clashes with Flair back in the day. It was all about establishing Jeff and making him into a credible threat to the title. It did just that. So, by the time Jeff captured the gold, it was logical. It made sense.

So, no. I don't think Jeff wouldn't have held the title in a different era. It really doesn't matter. For Jeff to fail to get a World Title, you'd have to subtract so many things from the equation. The series of matches with Triple H, the numerous reigns as Intercontinental Champion, the great build-up and booking he received on SmackDown, his unreal level of popularity at that time, etc., etc., etc.
This is proof that eloquence is still achievable on the internet. You said everything I would have said and then some. His chase, however, was always much more exciting than the reward.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Repped.

The workrate nerds make me lol. What idiot would try to take away credit from a dude who makes aliving off jumping off 20 FOOT LADDERS, usually landing on an individual THROUGH A TABLE, while at the same time having to not hurt himself OR the individual? I'd love to see these workrate nerds try to do that all the time, especially in front of 20,000 people usually on LIVE television.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
He would have been champion in most other eras. Maybe not in Hogans era, but he still would have been big. I don't like him, but hes got charisma and is a pretty good ring worker.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
Jeff was a major star in 2008 and 2009. I don't get why anyone would like to retcon history or forget that. His popularity had reached a level that rivaled Cena's... even more than what Orton has done in the last year.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Jeff was a major star in 2008 and 2009. I don't get why anyone would like to retcon history or forget that. His popularity had reached a level that rivaled Cena's... even more than what Orton has done in the last year.
ITZ BECHUZ JEFF HARREDYSZ A SPOTZZ MONKEY AND ORTON HAZ DE BETTAH FACIAL ESXPRESZIONS!!!

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
basicly yeah Jeff connected to the younger fans who were watching WWE in 2007-2009 when he began his main event run. Jeff was over with a large amount of the crowd as the older viewers remember him from the Attitude Era when he teamed with Matt and did the legendary matches with Edge and Christan and Team 3D. So in the end WWE put him on top cos he was so god damned over

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Jeff became a champion because he has a broad spectrum of appeal amongst numerous demographics (age groups and ethnicities) unlike a lot of stars in today's WWE and his off-the-screen antics gained him the necessary level of controversiality without having to be booked properly or being able to cut a promo worth a fuck.

There is no other reason.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts