Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Internet didn't ruin it, wrestling just couldn't keep up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not ruin it, but it did change it dramatically. Spoilers are a big part of it, but the end of the territorial system means that it's that much harder to repackage a failed gimmick.

The internet certainly sped the death of kayfabe and shoots (while entertaining) expose a lot of things the fans aren't supposed to know.

But as with all changes, the internet entering the world of wrestling created opportunities for extensive sales of merchandise, there's the WWE-app and social media (specifically twitter-hype).

·
The Man
25,722 Posts
Moments can be ruins but wrestling as a whole no. The one thing I felt that was hurt was Lesnar's return. Seeing Cena in the middle of the ring and the crowd screaming for Lesnar was fpalm. The moment was great but could've been soooo much better.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The internet can't ruin wrestling for you. It's not like the internet forces you to use it. What helps me is to avoid any thread marked SPOILER and any thread marked RUMOR, unless it's something dumb like RUMOR: John Cena to be Repackaged as Chain Dust, then I open the thread just to mock the premise of believing the stupid dirtsheets.

Also, I tend to avoid reading much on the internet leading up to a big event like Wrestlemania or Royal Rumble. I don't want to accidentally find out who the cameo returns are going to be.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
This is a question I've always wondered, did the internet ruin wrestling? Too many times we find out about huge returns ruining the element of surprise, which is one of the reasons we love the WWE so much. We find out about future feuds so when somebody attacks another superstar we aren't as shocked because we already know about it. I honestly think everybody would find WWE a lot more entertaining if it wasn't for the dirt sheets spoiling everything, smackdown would have a ton more viewers if it wasn't for the spoilers being leaked, does anybody feel the same way?
I remember as a kid something like that would happend and my jaw would drop.
My love for wrestling became big because of those things.

Ontopic: I think the dirtsheets are the culprits here, if they never existed, this place could've been a bit better.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Internet is here to stay :bo

Anyways , internet allows you to watch old Monday night Wars, Free PPVS etc. So hell no
Internet's the flavor of the month. In the future we will use the back of cocktail napkins. Saw a carving in a cave with this prophecy. Topanga Canyon.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
the dirtsheets existed long before the world wide web became a popular tool. nobody is forcing anyone to read the gossip just like nobody is forcing anyone to read in depth movie reviews before they go watch.

the web used correctly should be a great asset to any wrestling company, you can sell online, market yourself, start storylines and reach out to almost the entire world in seconds.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I get what u are saying - and to an extent it has. I mean u can look up anything about wwe now and it will tell you - real names, backgrounds etc etc.

It has taken away the 'suspend belief' type feeling for me and also we can read about future plans and how people are perceived backstage which affects how we think of them on screen (sometimes)
So I kinda get what you mean and in a way I agree it has.

·
''The Tone''
1,490 Posts
Things are rarely spoiled for me because of the internet, so no. In my opinion, it didn't ruin it.

Though it has modernized and repackaged itself over the years to fit the internet and the era we live in, so what you're getting is another different product/variation of what you knew before it. The WWE themselves tell you information they once couldn't tell you/fit into an episode...

21 - 40 of 60 Posts