He was a freak of nature who was atleast believable as champion
He was brought to WWE to increase the market in india
He is like a circus-attraction,a huge giant
Him losing to Cena made Cena look even stronger
That's my guess.

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
Khali may not be liked by many on this forum, but I can tell you he is a huge star in India. He makes guest appearances on tv shows over there and has even starred in a Bollywood movie

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Thing is, he has the Look. Nothing else at all, of course, but the Look is a big deal in this industry. You could release a publicity photo today of Khali as champion and it would be believable to anyone that hasnt actually seen him try and wrestle.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I remember when he first came in, he had a tonne of steam because he was so mysterious and gigantic. He killed the Undertaker and everyone was amazed.

I think he was just set up so Batista would look amazing by taking the title off him then beating him in a Punjabi Prison match. So in retrospect, Batista is now retired so no. No purpose was served.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,027 Posts
Yeah he's a big star in India. Not to mention it was a chance for WWE to make him the first Indian champion as well.

·
Asuka
96,241 Posts
Him being a star in India helps and whatnot, but I don't think that's the reason. After all, he hasn't been pushed since. I think he got the belt just because he's a fucking immobile piece of shit. Because if you look at 2007, the entire fucking roster was getting injured. Undertaker got injured, Kennedy got injured at the same time so they had to swap (or at least felt like they had to) Kennedy's MITB to Edge, and then for all the good that reign did him, he gets injured not long after he wins the title. Rey Mysterio was injured I believe, Booker T I think also got injured, there were shitloads of injures and SmackDown was in chaos, so I think they just said let's just put the title on the big, immobile piece of dogshit for a couple of months because nobody's gonna be throwing him around, so we're less likely to have to hotshot the title again.

·
Banned
611 Posts
The Undertaker and Edge were both injured. Booker T and Mr. Kennedy had both just moved to Raw. The only real options would have been The Great Khali, Batista, Kane, or Matt Hardy. It wouldn't have made sense to put the belt back on Batista so quickly (no payoff for the major face working his way to the title). Kane and Hardy were nowhere close to world title contention at that point.

By putting the belt on Khali you had a monster heel, someone that was looked at as a massive threat. Giving him a short run and feud with Batista would only make Dave look better when he finally took the belt off of him.

Loooking back on it, I would have put the belt on Kane and turned him heel. That way you can have feud with Batista through the summer and into the fall when Taker returns. With all the past history, and Taker/Batista/Kane feud would have been awesome.

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
Him being a star in India helps and whatnot, but I don't think that's the reason. After all, he hasn't been pushed since. I think he got the belt just because he's a fucking immobile piece of shit. Because if you look at 2007, the entire fucking roster was getting injured. Undertaker got injured, Kennedy got injured at the same time so they had to swap (or at least felt like they had to) Kennedy's MITB to Edge, and then for all the good that reign did him, he gets injured not long after he wins the title. Rey Mysterio was injured I believe, Booker T I think also got injured, there were shitloads of injures and SmackDown was in chaos, so I think they just said let's just put the title on the big, immobile piece of dogshit for a couple of months because nobody's gonna be throwing him around, so we're less likely to have to hotshot the title again.
Although you are right when you say he hasn't been pushed since winning the world title, there is a reason he still has a job in the company. If he wasn't Indian he would have probably been long gone

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah, popularity.

Khali was on every single news channel in India. All day, every day. All of his matches even the match with hornswoogle at Survivor Series made it to the news as if it is real. A lot of correspondents went to Atlanta(where Khali lives) to interview Khali. Media was hyping the dark match battle royal at WM24 as if it is the main event. This Khali storm ended after WM24.

·
Asuka
96,241 Posts
Although you are right when you say he hasn't been pushed since winning the world title, there is a reason he still has a job in the company. If he wasn't Indian he would have probably been long gone
Well, besides the fact that WWE doesn't release former world champions, yeah. His celebrity in India contributes greatly to his usage. I'm just saying, I don't think that's enough to put the world title on him. Not for India, I mean India's not a big wrestling country. For Mistico or ADR or something, absolutely, I understand, but India doesn't have a big enough market for wrestling and there's not much he can do to increase it, even with his status there. That's why he's only gotten it once, after all, and it was basically out of necessity.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I still can't believe he held the title!
1. He can't wrestle,
2. He can't speak English to cut promos,

Buttt ohhh waitttt he's a freakishly large giant, lets give him the title :/

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, popularity.

Khali was on every single news channel in India. All day, every day. All of his matches even the match with hornswoogle at Survivor Series made it to the news as if it is real. A lot of correspondents went to Atlanta(where Khali lives) to interview Khali. Media was hyping the dark match battle royal at WM24 as if it is the main event. This Khali storm ended after WM24.
The reason for the news ad media hype is due to someone paying the news channels.
They abruptly stopped covering him after WM24

1 - 20 of 37 Posts