Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
I also don't buy the "society is too PC" excuse. This is the same society that enjoy watching pregnant ladies get stabbed on Game of Thrones, heads explodes on TWD and the main protagonist make drugs for a living on Breaking bad.
Agreed. There were definitely some traits of late 90s/early 00s culture in the AE, but I dont think violence, profanity and sex has really gone out of style. The fact that so many people are clamouring for a return to an edgier product shows that.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's kind of a stupid argument. You can't blame the AE for "setting the bar too high". What were they supposed to do? Purposely make their show not as good as they could because 20 years later it will be bad by comparison?
It really isn't a stupid argument because to this day they still haven't pushed the bar high or broken the glass ceiling the AE put.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Of course it did. The 90's were just an amazing time all around. Freedom of expression was at its peak. You could be entertaining and it seemed like the more controversial the better. It was a time when people were pushing boundaries like no other. You can't expect talent today that are forced to work within a tiny little box to be able to replicate the sort of quality achieved when there were so few rules.

Wrestling will never be that great again. Those that think it can be are wishing upon a star and closing their eyes before blowing out the candles on their birthday cake. Which is exactly why I will gladly enjoy the moments of nostalgia from the bygone era while they are still here. Trust me, in 20 years I'm not going to give a fuck about a Shield reunion.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
It really isn't a stupid argument because to this day they still haven't pushed the bar high or broken the glass ceiling the AE put.
My question wasn't rhetorical. Should they have deliberately made it worse during the AE out of fear of setting the bar too high?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My question wasn't rhetorical. Should they have deliberately made it worse during the AE out of fear of setting the bar too high?
Of course not. I mean we had the Ruthless Aggression Era but it still wasn't on par with the AE.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,955 Posts
They weren't a public trade company back then - if they were then we wouldn't have got HALF the stuff we did.

The Attitude Era was the DEFINITION of Sports Entertainment that didn't give an absolute fuck about who are what liked it, they were going to make noise by any means necessary and they did. They got hold of a lot of people who didn't give two shits about wrestling, 3,000,000 of them in fact and had them tuning in to see what their characters would get up to. They all jumped on the bandwagon which was wrestling at that time.

Fast forward to modern day, you have a public company who have to apologise to their sponsors and cross their fingers together whenever anyone says something even SLIGHTLY offensive or "UN-PG" - they care SO much about their image that they will do everything in their power to make it look like they're doing good.

I think the unfair criticism is when current stars are compared to the old ones. That should NEVER happen. It's a different era with different restrictions in a completely different 'genre' so to speak in wrestling. They do some great stuff WWE but it'll always be compared to a storyline that may be VAGUELY similar from the Attitude Era and will get compared and called crap because they don't have the same freedom on the mic and don't have the same creative and booking teams or competition on a weekly basis.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts
If Vince wouldn't let the AE happen WWE would go out of business, WCW would eat them alive. It had nothing to do with Vince age, it was a do or die situation.

I also don't buy the "society is too PC" excuse. This is the same society that enjoy watching pregnant ladies get stabbed on Game of Thrones, heads explodes on TWD and the main protagonist make drugs for a living on Breaking bad.

This. You don't need the AE to say WWE sucks now. It sucks even when compared to other eras and even different and much smaller promotions out there, Both in terms of work rate and story.
It isn't, but WWE panders to social justice groups and wants their acceptance. And because of this, they get put under a microscope. Look at the crying that Reid Flair's death being mentioned on TV got, or Sasha Banks calling Dana Miss Piggy. A lot of fans act like they're tired of censorship or PG or pandering, yet throw a tantrum the moment WWE goes past it.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
They weren't a public trade company back then - if they were then we wouldn't have got HALF the stuff we did.
To be fair they still had blood, sex, swearing and general edginess for years after they went public. Toned down slightly from 98/99 yes, but not almost completely removed the way it has been for the last 7-8 years.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,955 Posts
To be fair they still had blood, sex, swearing and general edginess for years after they went public. Toned down slightly from 98/99 yes, but not almost completely removed the way it has been for the last 7-8 years.
They didn't seem to care so much about their image back then though. They SCREAM out for the smallest of publicity from the mainstream nowadays that it's embarrassing.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

The Attitude Era was the DEFINITION of Sports Entertainment that didn't give an absolute fuck about who are what liked it, they were going to make noise by any means necessary and they did. They got hold of a lot of people who didn't give two shits about wrestling, 3,000,000 of them in fact and had them tuning in to see what their characters would get up to. They all jumped on the bandwagon which was wrestling at that time.

Fast forward to modern day, you have a public company who have to apologise to their sponsors and cross their fingers together whenever anyone says something even SLIGHTLY offensive or "UN-PG" - they care SO much about their image that they will do everything in their power to make it look like they're doing good.

I think the unfair criticism is when current stars are compared to the old ones. That should NEVER happen. It's a different era with different restrictions in a completely different 'genre' so to speak in wrestling. They do some great stuff WWE but it'll always be compared to a storyline that may be VAGUELY similar from the Attitude Era and will get compared and called crap because they don't have the same freedom on the mic and don't have the same creative and booking teams or competition on a weekly basis.
Which ever company broadcasted Jerry Springer was a publicly traded company and Springer was the epitome of 90s shock value.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I think it's just because most smarks grew up watching attitude/ruthless agression, I reckon the next generation of wrestling fans will be comparing everybody to Ambrose and Styles etc
Exactly, in another 15 years from now, when Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Owens and Styles are retired and you all really old. You will young people of today come on this board and talk about how wrestling was so cool in the 2010's and Cena was such a huge legend and how Ambrose and Reigns were so cool. No kids from today would bring up the AE.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
20 years from now, Kids will have access to the Attitude era. Wanna know why millennials hate Hillary Clinton? They were able to use the internet to look-up her policies from the 90s and 00s and her scandals, so the mainstream media trying to clean up her baggage failed. The woman has more skeletons than a graveyard. Anyway, kids will look at the Attitude era as a golden standard if we continue down this mediocre path. I showed my 9 year old nephew the Undertaker-Mankind Hell in a Cell match, and be thought it was the coolest thing ever. He asked me why they don't fight atop of the cage.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Someone at the E', made a conscious decision to turn the burners off, & put the product in an eternal snooze.

Probably for more $.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they could be that good back then, why can't they do it now? Whether you liked it or hated it, the Attitude Era was one of the most profitable eras in wrestling history. I get that the world is more PC now but that's why people like Milo Yiannopulos and Trump are succeeding.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The Attitude Era was good, but the vast majority of the love for it is held by 20 somethings who yearn for nostalgia and think anything that happened between 1996-2000 was the greatest thing ever.

·
Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,531 Posts
It probably did in some cases, but that doesn't mean the product still can't be good. Everyone in the business should always strive to deliver the best product they can and try to top anything in the past. The company probably can't do eveyr single thing that they did in the AE, but that doesn't mean they can't thrive in this environment as much as they thrived in the AE. If anyone uses "The AE set the bar too high" as an excuse then they might as well just not even try because that tells me that they are too incompetent to even find ways to be at least as successful as it.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Exactly, in another 15 years from now, when Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Owens and Styles are retired and you all really old. You will young people of today come on this board and talk about how wrestling was so cool in the 2010's and Cena was such a huge legend and how Ambrose and Reigns were so cool. No kids from today would bring up the AE.
Yeah I doubt that. Like I've said those from the AE still get bigger pops than those from the Ruthless Aggression Era.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yeah I doubt that. Like I've said those from the AE still get bigger pops than those from the Ruthless Aggression Era.
Yeah and Hogan was super over as well, so was Randy Savage, they were both more over than everyone from the attitude era with the exception of Rock, Austin and maybe HHH, Undertaker and Mick. But not a lot of people from this forum or any other talk about them or anyone from the golden age. 10-15 years from now, there will be talk of Austin and Rock, but not as much as Cena or Orton because the kids these days turned adults next were not exposed to the Attitude Era. The people who did watch Attitude Era or came after it but were still were exposed to it will either be dead or too old and too busy to even come on this site.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah and Hogan was super over as well, so was Randy Savage, they were both more over than everyone from the attitude era with the exception of Rock, Austin and maybe HHH, Undertaker and Mick. But not a lot of people from this forum or any other talk about them or anyone from the golden age. 10-15 years from now, there will be talk of Austin and Rock, but not as much as Cena or Orton because the kids these days turned adults next were not exposed to the Attitude Era. The people who did watch Attitude Era or came after it but were still were exposed to it will either be dead or too old and too busy to even come on this site.
Its been almost 20 years since the AE started and people still talk about Rock and Austin as well as Hogan. Those 3 names will always come up in people's minds.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Its been almost 20 years since the AE started and people still talk about Rock and Austin as well as Hogan. Those 3 names will always come up in people's minds.
Yeah, they were once in a lifetime stars. But not that many people today really talk about the Hogan era too much, whenever they compare, its always Austin did this, and Rock did that. No doubt Austin and Rock will be talked about for another 20 years, but they wont be talked about as much as they are right now. Because kids who watch the show right now, will take over these forums tomorrow and they werent exposed to Austin/Rock, but rather Cena/Orton. They will say Austin did that, but maybe more Cena did this. Maybe in the slight 0.000001% chance WWE finally does stop micromanaging talent, in 20 years time, we might be hearing about Ambrose or Reigns as well.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts