Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many people will say yes he did, he is the GOAT or something like that. IMO he was one of the greatest and talented but not enough to main event 5 times. He should have main evented about 2 times.

Same with Triple H. He already main evented 7 freaking times what a joke. Both Michaels and Hunter were politicking assholes and masters of burying talent. They had Vince's ear so kept getting these top spots forever.

Michaels and Hunter were never as big as a draw either to warrant that many main events. Undertaker only had 4 ME and Rock did 5. Hunter will definitely main event his retirement match. His goal is probably to squeeze in one more so he can make it 9 and surpass Hogan.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Re: Did Shawn Michaels deserve to Main Event Wrestlemania FIVE times?

Michaels deserved to main event WrestleMania all times.

Politicking prickishness aside, the dude was easily the best of his generation, and possibly the best ever.

Good enough for me :draper2

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts

I do think both deserved it. Not 7 times though in Trips' case.

·
The Irish Rapist
3,392 Posts

It doesn't matter if x wrestler deserved to main evented x times. What matters is did he x wrestler deserved to main event x wrestlemania. It's all about making the best show, not trying to get the wrestlemania main event accolade in a wrestler's resume.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts

12 - 2 straight Rumble wins, most over face in the company, it was his time
14 - passed the torch after one of the great heel runs
20 - added star power and backstory, protected Triple H from putting Benoit over 1-on-1
23 - wasn't watching at the time but maybe should have been Edge vs. Cena?
26 - absolutely deserved to go out in the main event against Taker

20 and 23 are the ones he might not have needed to be in, though they're not egregiously bad. The other 3, he was definitely the right choice.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts

well 1 was his retirement so thats fine, 2 he only wrestled the main event of 23 because HHH got hurt I believe so that wasnt planned , 3 he was in the best triple threat match ever at 20 and 4 he needed to pass the title over to austin before he left.

so thats 4 out of the 5 totally written off for worth while reasoning, the final one was his first title win so again its fine, the match itself wasnt that good imo but the reasoning still stands.

to me theres no main event where he wasted the spot.

Reactions: Brock

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts

Didn't need to be in the triple threat, he was even booed at times :shrug

Wasn't watching round the time of 23 so can't comment, could've argued for 24 though

All the talk of "deserving" this & that is annoying though

·
Registered
6,859 Posts

I know that many people will say yes he did, he is the GOAT or something like that. IMO he was one of the greatest and talented but not enough to main event 5 times. He should have main evented about 2 times.

Same with Triple H. He already main evented 7 freaking times what a joke. Both Michaels and Hunter were politicking assholes and masters of burying talent. They had Vince's ear so kept getting these top spots forever.

Michaels and Hunter were never as big as a draw either to warrant that many main events. Undertaker only had 4 ME and Rock did 5. Hunter will definitely main event his retirement match. His goal is probably to squeeze in one more so he can make it 9 and surpass Hogan.
HBK main evented Wrestlemania only 4 times. He deserved all of them except WM 26. I get that he is one of the greatest performers of all time, but just because he was retiring doesnt entitle him to a main event. Flair overall was a much much bigger draw than Shawn, and his last WWE match was not a main event. Why should Shawn be afforded this luxury?

"Michaels and Hunter were never as big as a draw either to warrant that many main events. "
The moronic son-in-law never drew unless he was facing a guy who was very over. Michaels drew, but he wasnt as big of a draw as Bret, Taker, Austin, Rock or Hogan or Cena or nWo.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
6,106 Posts

You could argue he should have had more. The cards for Wrestlemania 21 & 25 are much improved when HBK is in the main event.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Roman reigns of all people main evented 3 back to back manias.Now think about that.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts

Wrestlemania 12 -- Absolutely; it was his moment to become a main-eventer.

Wrestlemania 14 -- Absolutely; he was the top heel who had to drop to the rising megastar, Steve Austin.

Wrestlemania 20 -- Probably not. I guess they felt that Benoit vs Triple H lacked the chemistry to work a singles match (those 2 never had a proper 1 on 1 match on a PPV, did they?)

Wrestlemania 23 -- Probably not. They wanted a rematch of Triple H vs John Cena, but Triple H got injured. Michaels was all they had.

Wrestlemania 26 -- Probably not. It's just that the roster was weak, leaving them no other choice. Edge vs Jericho didn't have the glamour, and we had already seen Cena close too many times. With a stronger roster, Michaels doesn't close here.

·
Banned
72 Posts

lol @ this thread.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

I think so because his Wrestlemania matches always delivered. You could of had his WM19, WM21 and WM25 as main events of Mania in terms of best match of the night.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,835 Posts

As far as i'm concerned Shawn Michaels truly earned the Mr Wrestlemania moniker. He always gave his best at Wrestlemania and he always made his matches special. I wouldn't care if HBK main evented every single year, he always delivered in his matches. That's enough for me to satisfied with the amount of times he has main evented, because you know he's going give you a proper main event.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Yes.

Greatest of all time.

Not all were his politicking as 23 Hunter was the plan and the last was his retirement match. And 14 he wrestled with his back shot to death. As much as he was a prick in his first run, he did deserve every ME he got because he was that good and he delivered.

In short... yes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts