Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone remembers the infamous "I quit match" between the rock and mankind. In which the rock handcuffs ankinds hands and then proceeds to beat the living shit out of him with chair shot after chair shot. After watching interviews with Mick, and watching the actual show, it looks liek Rock used Foley as a springboard, and continued to beat his ass even when he OBVIOUSLY was trying to show rock he couldnt take any more. The vidoe is linked below, start it at 21:24, thats when the chair shots begin. Kinda lost respect for Rock after this. you be the judge.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If anything, he may have added the lore of Mick Foley. Part of the reason the crowd was so sympathetic towards him is because he was always getting his butt kicked way beyond what anyone else on the roster was willing to do.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Rock is not the one to blame. Foley writes in his book that they planned on having five chair shots. The last one was supposed to be the one in the back of the head when he was lying on the ramp.

But Foley for whatever reason took a chair shot and didn't go down and took another one, didn't go down again until finally going down after three chair shots.

They still had to do several more before ending up on the ramp where Foley would need to take at least two.

You can hear Michael Cole screaming "What in the hell is Mankind doing?". That's a sign that it was unscripted for Foley to take three shots before going down. Now what was Rock supposed to do if his opponent wouldn't stay down as planned?!

Not to mention, sitting his wife and two little kids in the front row to witness all of this. I lost respect for Foley here and not for Rock.

However, Rock not checking on Mick afterwards was wrong.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Foley was supposed to fall after 2-3 chair shots, but HE wanted to take it, and got right back to Rock's position, Rock had no choice but to hit him again. Watch the spot in the ring before that People's Elbow where Rock hits him and instead of falling he's standing there in his face. It was 100% Foley's fault, also his fault that his family were in front row. Rock did his job perfectly as usual by getting mega heat and putting Mankind over as a sympathetic figure.

As for screwing? It was the other way around, Foley was never more over than he was in this period as a main event talent. Rock's brutal heel performance gave the psychotic Mankind character a different level of appreciation from the audience.

However, Rock not checking on Mick afterwards was wrong.
In "Beyond The Mat" you can see Rock and Foley backstage with Rock thanking Foley for the classic match, so what he said about this accident in his book or whatever is complete BS. I love and respect Foley, one of my favorites but it wasn't a good day for him(Besides putting on one of the most memorable matches of all time). If he wanted Rock to check him right after the match, then he clearly forgot everything that happened that night because Rock had a run-in to do in the Rumble 1999, he was in the most important spot of the match helping Vince get the win.

7:20

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Randomly running into each other in the hallway, asking "How ya fellin'?" hours later and go check on someone after the match are two different things. I can understand Micks frustration.

Ok, Rock had the run-in to do, but that was about 60 minutes later and we're talking about two minutes it takes to go check on someone after the match. Time what was not a problem here.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
ish happens. They're great friends now. As already said, Foley was at his peak of popularity here, and Rock being a GREAT heel only helped in that regard. Foley shouldn't have had his fam sit at a hardcore match where he was gonna get whooped and lose his title, and Mick Foley is the man btw. Rock should've been more vocal in checking on him tho. Regardless it's patched up

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The agreed upon number of Chair shots were 5. Rock hit him 11 times. Im not so sure it was Foleys fault, and if you watched the video, Rock aint pulling any swings. Foley even admits later on in his book that he was bitter about the rock hitting him more than they agreed, so it wasnt FOLEYS idea like a few of you have said. The fact of the matter is that Rock didnt really appreciate what Foley was doing to put him over. I mean, its pretty shit when FOLEY had to go look for Rock after the match, and if you watched Beyond the Mat, Rock didnt look the least bit concerned when they ran into eachother. I think its pretty clear that Rock pulled a dick move during this fight. Minus 5 respect.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
For those that know the story which it seems many of you do - how long was Foley mad at Rock for this incident?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those that know the story which it seems many of you do - how long was Foley mad at Rock for this incident?
Im not sure he was "mad" per say. I think Rock just rubbed him the wrong way. There is a certain code and respect among wrestlers. When one wrestler lets you beat the shit out of them with a chair, then throwing in 6 more than agreed upon..........its considered good practice to check on them and thank them after the match. Rock did neither, and Foley actually had to walk aroudn the locker room to find him. I think the Rock didnt give a shit about foley at this period in his life.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Mad/bitter/rubbed the wrong way, how long was it between Foley having a problem with it and him becoming friends with Rock - does anyone know? Just would like to know the full story.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mad/bitter/rubbed the wrong way, how long was it between Foley having a problem with it and him becoming friends with Rock - does anyone know? Just would like to know the full story.
August 30, 1999. I will let you figure out what happened on that date :) That is when they became friends i would assume.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
In general I think 1999 is a funny year when the company and wrestlers break kayfabe by breaking kayfabe with things like Mick's book. Why should he really be mad when he was the one allowing himself to take the shots beyond the expected shots? I always seen Beyond The Mat with a mixture of kayfabe although breaking kayfabe.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you split a mans head open as a stepping stone for your career, its good practice to go check them afterwards.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
August 30, 1999. I will let you figure out what happened on that date :) That is when they became friends i would assume.
What a crazy world or universe this wrestling is in where winning the WWF Tag Team Championship can put real life professional relationships back together. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts