Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,550 Posts
Rollins is only guy in that group I would consider maineventer. Kofi isn't close to mainevent scene right now despite being wwe champion, Owens rarely mainevented as universal champion and zigglers mainevents were more as a filler opponent for Cena, Orton etc.

Why do you think Corbin is above guys like Drew, Elias, Lashley, Strowman in terms of being mainevent ready?
Kofi is a current Main Eventer, he's a World Champion. Owens gets at least one World Title feud every year, he's a consistent top guy, and is beating Shane down who was previously positioned as the top heel.

You've missed the point though. I listed a bunch of people who have recently been in the Main Event scene in the WWE, and they're all midcard talents apart from Orton and Joe. So this idea that Corbin is just a midcard talent and thus not good enough is wrong. If Seth Rollins can be a lutiple time World Champ and beat Lesnar twice then literally anyone can be a Main Eventer. Crash Holly could be a Main Eventer in this Era, thats how low the bar is been set with shit like Seth Rollins.

Corbin is Drew McInTyre if Drew had any charisma or personality. Corbin is miles better than Elias in the ring. Corbin is better than Lashley in every way. And he's better than Strowman in every way too.

The Strowman love vs the Corbin hate shows just how hypocritical people are, and how much of this is just bias or people parroting the cool opinion. Baron is far better ring worker than Braun. A far superior promo to Braun. He works a better gimmick than Braun. Yet Braun is mostly loved while most people act like Corbin has zero talent.

Explain to me how, in what way Braun is better than Baron?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rollins is only guy in that group I would consider maineventer. Kofi isn't close to mainevent scene right now despite being wwe champion, Owens rarely mainevented as universal champion and zigglers mainevents were more as a filler opponent for Cena, Orton etc.

Why do you think Corbin is above guys like Drew, Elias, Lashley, Strowman in terms of being mainevent ready?
I like most of those guys more than Corbin (and in fact, I think Drew running around with Corbin makes Drew seem less dangerous and menacing than when he's by himself) but Corbin's better than Lashley. Lashley's got very little mic talent, hence the need for Lio.

Sucks too because most of Lio's storylines involve Lashley trying to stack the deck for him and he still fails. So you got a guy who can talk smack but can't fight and a guy who can fight and flex but he can't talk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kofi is a current Main Eventer, he's a World Champion. Owens gets at least one World Title feud every year, he's a consistent top guy, and is beating Shane down who was previously positioned as the top heel.

You've missed the point though. I listed a bunch of people who have recently been in the Main Event scene in the WWE, and they're all midcard talents apart from Orton and Joe. So this idea that Corbin is just a midcard talent and thus not good enough is wrong. If Seth Rollins can be a lutiple time World Champ and beat Lesnar twice then literally anyone can be a Main Eventer. Crash Holly could be a Main Eventer in this Era, thats how low the bar is been set with shit like Seth Rollins.

Corbin is Drew McInTyre if Drew had any charisma or personality. Corbin is miles better than Elias in the ring. Corbin is better than Lashley in every way. And he's better than Strowman in every way too.

The Strowman love vs the Corbin hate shows just how hypocritical people are, and how much of this is just bias or people parroting the cool opinion. Baron is far better ring worker than Braun. A far superior promo to Braun. He works a better gimmick than Braun. Yet Braun is mostly loved while most people act like Corbin has zero talent.

I think it's funny when he talks about getting hands.

As somebody who just started watching recently (so I get that this could make me a lousy judge of who is or isn't a main eventer), Corbin was introduced as this petty chickenshit guy who was always up in Kurt Angle's shit for no real reason. He's put up there as a match for this guy who is about to retire. Against Braun? He runs away. Multiple times.

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent and I am a few weeks behind but his storyline has been that of a low level nuance who needs help to take on higher tier wrestlers.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Being world champion doesn't make you maineventer. Big show was wwe champion in 1999 but feuding with Boss man in midcard while Vince, rock, HHH ie the real maineventers were in the most important angles.

Kofis not even in top storyline on the b show SD, that's clearly Reigns.

You've missed the point though. I listed a bunch of people who have recently been in the Main Event scene in the WWE, and they're all midcard talents apart from Orton and Joe.
You listed people who happened to mainevent a show or two last few years with exception of Kofi who hasn't really even done that. That doesn't make them maineventers just as it didn't make Rikishi a maineventer in 2000 or Mabel in 95 or RVD in 2006 or Big Show in 99/2002/2012/13 etc.

So this idea that Corbin is just a midcard talent and thus not good enough is wrong. If Seth Rollins can be a lutiple time World Champ and beat Lesnar twice then literally anyone can be a Main Eventer. Crash Holly could be a Main Eventer in this Era, thats how low the bar is been set with shit like Seth Rollins.
This is completely different topic altogether though, I am not interested in others opinions re: Corbin and not good enough. Crash was short and a little weird looking. Photogenically alone Rollins blows him away and the non wrestling female fans I attended Mania 33 with thought he was better looking than Reigns. Don't think I would ever want to sit through a 20 minute Crash match either especially one that was just an ordinary non gimmick affair.

Fair enough, not sure I agree with everything you said but you addressed question.

I have said in the past Strowman is limited so it's never been a love thing with me. Things Strowman has that Corbin doesn't
1. Cool voice. He sounds like a badass.
2. Size. Both are tall but Strowman is built like a tank.
3. Explosiveness and power. For a huge dude Strowman is insanely fast especially from standing start and obviously insanely strong though WWE don't really put emphasis on that.
4. Strowman is good at playing cartoon character. Yes WWE go overboard on smoke and mirrors with him but he thrived in the over the top cartoon role especially in 2017-18. It felt like he came straight from the 80s WWF or late 90s.

Those few things alone size, look, voice, speed, ability to carry yourself resonate massively with pro wrestling fans.

Corbin has his advantages and disadvantages. I thought he excelled in GM role. I don't think he is a guy you need to see in every mainevent though in long matches..he isn't Edge circa 2006-09. I think with guys like Corbin, Strowman, Wyatt etc less is more. Problem in the 3 hour Raw era and 20 ppvs a year that's easier said than done.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,422 Posts
Lol, what a drop from grace for Lacey. Immediately thrown into the title picture with Becky, eats a loss every time, and then BOOM, it's like she wasn't even there to begin with.

Not sure where Corbin is. Though I imagine he's a contender to win King of the Ring. ALL HAIL KING CORBIN!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Lol, what a drop from grace for Lacey. Immediately thrown into the title picture with Becky, eats a loss every time, and then BOOM, it's like she wasn't even there to begin with.

Not sure where Corbin is. Though I imagine he's a contender to win King of the Ring. ALL HAIL KING CORBIN!
Not counting Royal Rumbles, she's got more PPV main events than any woman in WWE history not named Becky, Charlotte or Ronda, in just 4 months of being used on the main roster.

FUN FACT - Lacey Evans is the only woman in WWE history to officially take part in the main event of two PPVs in a row.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,550 Posts
Being world champion doesn't make you maineventer. Big show was wwe champion in 1999 but feuding with Boss man in midcard while Vince, rock, HHH ie the real maineventers were in the most important angles.

Kofis not even in top storyline on the b show SD, that's clearly Reigns.

World Championship and Main Eventer go hand in hand though. Yeah Rollins gets the Headline spots because he's a long time Management pet, but Kofi is a Main Eventer as it stands right now.

You listed people who happened to mainevent a show or two last few years with exception of Kofi who hasn't really even done that. That doesn't make them maineventers just as it didn't make Rikishi a maineventer in 2000 or Mabel in 95 or RVD in 2006 or Big Show in 99/2002/2012/13 etc.
All Main Eventers are cycled in and out of the top spot(s) though. Rock didn't Main Event every show, nor did Austin, Taker, Angle, Hogan or anyone else. Kevin Owens gets a World Title feud every year, he's a pretty consistent Main Eventer. Ziggler was filler, but he still worked a World Title feud.

The point is when you look at the likes of Kofi, Ziggler, Owens, and complete garbage like Rollins its ridiculous to dismiss anyone as just being "midcard" thesedays. This is the Era where anyone and everyone can be a Main Eventer/World Champion, unless you're a genuinely talented Pro Wrestler, in which case you're a directionless jobber. If Rollins, if Balor, if Reigns, etc can be Main Eventers/World Champions then anyone can be.

I have said in the past Strowman is limited so it's never been a love thing with me. Things Strowman has that Corbin doesn't
1. Cool voice. He sounds like a badass.
2. Size. Both are tall but Strowman is built like a tank.
3. Explosiveness and power. For a huge dude Strowman is insanely fast especially from standing start and obviously insanely strong though WWE don't really put emphasis on that.
4. Strowman is good at playing cartoon character. Yes WWE go overboard on smoke and mirrors with him but he thrived in the over the top cartoon role especially in 2017-18. It felt like he came straight from the 80s WWF or late 90s.

Those few things alone size, look, voice, speed, ability to carry yourself resonate massively with pro wrestling fans.
None of things are really talents though. Braun has worked hard to have what he does no doubt but you compare skillsets and Corbin is vastly superior to Braun. Strowman is/was just great booking, getting to kill Roman all the time in ridiculous ways made the fans love him. Its still hypocritical the way that people largely adore(d) Braun but most people cant admit that Baron has even one spec of talent.

Corbin has his advantages and disadvantages. I thought he excelled in GM role. I don't think he is a guy you need to see in every mainevent though in long matches..he isn't Edge circa 2006-09. I think with guys like Corbin, Strowman, Wyatt etc less is more. Problem in the 3 hour Raw era and 20 ppvs a year that's easier said than done.
I get this though, but thats true for everyone. No one person should ever constantly dominate the top spot(s).

61 - 68 of 68 Posts