Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
In the last Talk is Jericho podcast, he briefly mentioned Lacey being MIA since ER. He was saying it was very suspicious and that maybe 'someone got too big for their britches.' That someone being Lacey. So, it is possible she is being punished. Jericho knows the business and knows Vince, so his opinion is worth considering.
I don't know. So many people on this roster drop in and out of TV for long periods now that you really can't tell anymore if 90% of the roster is in the doghouse.

We simply assumed Lacey was going to be positioned as a Charlotte/Becky/Alexa type where she would be a mainstay based on sheer rumors. The only thing that seemed to be true was that they liked her and wanted to give her some burn in a major program. But there's "like" and "we gonna put you on TV every single week in all the big segments" like.

For example, I think they like Natalya to a certain degree, but not to the point that they'd ever focus the division around her. She bops in and out of the women's title picture and disappears again for a number of months and I doubt it's because she was punished. There are a bunch of others in this position too.

I don't like Lacey but I don't recall hearing bad things about her in NXT either. And she was never booked particularly special on NXT. The thing I remember most about her is beating Kairi once, and then giving the win back to Kairi again the following week.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know. So many people on this roster drop in and out of TV for long periods now that you really can't tell anymore if 90% of the roster is in the doghouse.

We simply assumed Lacey was going to be positioned as a Charlotte/Becky/Alexa type where she would be a mainstay based on sheer rumors. The only thing that seemed to be true was that they liked her and wanted to give her some burn in a major program. But there's "like" and "we gonna put you on TV every single week in all the big segments" like.

For example, I think they like Natalya to a certain degree, but not to the point that they'd ever focus the division around her. She bops in and out of the women's title picture and disappears again for a number of months and I doubt it's because she was punished. There are a bunch of others in this position too.

I don't like Lacey but I don't recall hearing bad things about her in NXT either. And she was never booked particularly special on NXT.
It seemed like Lacey and Corbs were just a filler feud, just to coast through the downtime of the summer. They were fed to the champs and made them look strong until they had better opponents like Sasha and Brock. The only thing Meltzer said about this was 'Ever since Heyman took over, notice how the one people complained about have been missing,' but then again I just heard that in the free clip on YT. He probably said more in his full podcast, but I'm not paying for that.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
It seemed like Lacey and Corbs were just a filler feud, just to coast through the downtime of the summer. They were fed to the champs and made them look strong until they had better opponents like Sasha and Brock. The only thing Meltzer said about this was 'Ever since Heyman took over, notice how the one people complained about have been missing,' but then again I just heard that in the free clip on YT. He probably said more in his full podcast, but I'm not paying for that.
It is possible.

I did hear Heyman wasn't as high on them, but I also heard he didn't dislike them either.

I doubt Heyman's preferences supercedes Vince's though. We know Vince loves Corbin. And we think they really wanted to put Lacey in the spotlight for a while. But other than that, it's not particularly abnormal yet they are not on TV either. If come October Lacey is still completely off TV then maybe we can start wondering.

I feel pretty confident Corbin will be doing his thing again soon whether I like it or not.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is possible.

I did hear Heyman wasn't as high on them, but I also heard he didn't dislike them either.

I doubt Heyman's preferences supercedes Vince's though. We know Vince loves Corbin. And we think they really wanted to put Lacey in the spotlight for a while. But other than that, it's not particularly abnormal yet they are not on TV either. If come October Lacey is still completely off TV then maybe we can start wondering.

I feel pretty confident Corbin will be doing his thing again soon whether I like it or not.

It seems like with Lacey's case, it was a kill a few birds with one stone situation to get her exposure/the spotlight, use her in a filler feud w/ Becks to get through downtime, to make Becky look like a dominant champ, get her experience in front of a big audience, to test her, and to have her get hands on in-ring experience with the most popular woman wrestler. On her Twitter, she was promoting a match against Becky in October that sounded like a house show.

Corbin is in a much better position, because of his relationship with Vince and Trips and being much more experienced. So, they could just be cooling them off due to overexposure, with the both of them doing house shows (Lacey more so). Even though Corbs is returning, it doesn't look like Lacey is coming back anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
If they're bored with Lacey (and there's absolutely no guarantee that is even the case as there were many brief periods where we "thought" they were finally done with Alexa and Charlotte), I can guarantee it almost has nothing to do with ring work. Vince has never shown any problem with pushing people who were godawful in the ring, as long as he liked them enough. If they have cooled off on Lacey it most definitely has to do with something else other than her ring work. Vince has been turning a blind eye to Alexa's godawful midget wrestling style and "I'll sell early to avoid this hit from 10 feet away" for YEARS.

But again, 2-3 weeks off TV is NOTHING. There's every bit the possibility Lacey is in some major program again 2 months from now.
That isn't specific to in ring work. Vince has never shown any problem wth pushing any performer no matter how bad, as long as he personally liked them enough and for some reason thinks they could make him money.

Reactions: llj

·
Registered
98 Posts
That isn't specific to in ring work. Vince has never shown any problem wth pushing any performer no matter how bad, as long as he personally liked them enough and for some reason thinks they could make him money.
Yeah, that is exactly why I mentioned what Jericho said on his podcast. Dude knows Vince and the business.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,537 Posts
I love how people run with the narrative that Corbin and Lacey suck so their pushes were canned.

Even if that were the case there's plenty of evidence that the McMahons dont care about talent if they like someone, they'll push them no matter what. Look at Reigns, look at Rollins, look at Alexa. All mediocre at absolute best yet consistently pushed to the moon because they're McMahon pets.

It is possible.

Do we?

Or is that just smark logic? Baron is big and has no Indy cred so Vince must love him and will push him to the moon. For all the constant fear mongering that Baron is about to get some big monster push literally all he's done for the past couple of years is job to the Shield guys and beat a 60 year old Kurt Angle once.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
Do we?

Or is that just smark logic? Baron is big and has no Indy cred so Vince must love him and will push him to the moon. For all the constant fear mongering that Baron is about to get some big monster push literally all he's done for the past couple of years is job to the Shield guys and beat a 60 year old Kurt Angle once.
Well, he was going to win the world title but he shot his mouth off so they jobbed him out.

Vince obviously loves Corbin because nobody is on tv more than Corbin is. Literally, I think with the exception of the past month, he's been on tv more than any other performer in the company this year and that includes Becky who's plastered all over tv.

The problem for Corbin is, Vince doesn't seem to love him as somebody you put the title on. I think Vince has a different definition of what "love" is than we do For us, winning the world title is the be all, end all, but Vince isn't even a wrestling fan and he doesn't want wrestling presented as a sport like we do. We want the accomplishments to mean something, Vince just sees them as meaningless props. You hear all these stories about "Vince loves Truth", "Vince loves Truth", "Vince loves Truth". Well, I'm sure he does, he loves stupid comedy and this is what the 24/7 title is, but he doesn't see Truth as a world champion. He loves different guys different ways. The way he loves Corbin is as an annoying loudmouth for the babyfaces to shut up. While I often propagate this idea that Vince hates Samoa Joe because he won't give him the world title, and in a certain sense I do mean it because if he was really that high on him, he would give him the belt, but I honestly think if somebody walked up to Vince and said "Why do you hate Samoa Joe?", he would unironically be like "What? What are you talking about? I love Samoa Joe, I put him on tv all the time." Because to him, he just sees the belt as something to promote stories, it's not real to him. And really, why would it be? He's in no rush. He can put the title on Corbin any time he wants. It's his fans that have to be impatient about it, not him.

There's no way in hell that Baron Corbin is not gonna win the world title at some point. Look at some of the people who've been champion. Jinder Mahal, Christian, Kofi, Mark Henry, etc. He's gonna get it, it's just a matter of when.

·
15,537 Posts
Well, he was going to win the world title but he shot his mouth off so they jobbed him out.

Vince obviously loves Corbin because nobody is on tv more than Corbin is. Literally, I think with the exception of the past month, he's been on tv more than any other performer in the company this year and that includes Becky who's plastered all over tv.

The problem for Corbin is, Vince doesn't seem to love him as somebody you put the title on. I think Vince has a different definition of what "love" is than we do For us, winning the world title is the be all, end all, but Vince isn't even a wrestling fan and he doesn't want wrestling presented as a sport like we do. We want the accomplishments to mean something, Vince just sees them as meaningless props. You hear all these stories about "Vince loves Truth", "Vince loves Truth", "Vince loves Truth". Well, I'm sure he does, he loves stupid comedy and this is what the 24/7 title is, but he doesn't see Truth as a world champion. He loves different guys different ways. The way he loves Corbin is as an annoying loudmouth for the babyfaces to shut up. While I often propagate this idea that Vince hates Samoa Joe because he won't give him the world title, and in a certain sense I do mean it because if he was really that high on him, he would give him the belt, but I honestly think if somebody walked up to Vince and said "Why do you hate Samoa Joe?", he would unironically be like "What? What are you talking about? I love Samoa Joe, I put him on tv all the time." Because to him, he just sees the belt as something to promote stories, it's not real to him. And really, why would it be? He's in no rush. He can put the title on Corbin any time he wants. It's his fans that have to be impatient about it, not him.

There's no way in hell that Baron Corbin is not gonna win the world title at some point. Look at some of the people who've been champion. Jinder Mahal, Christian, Kofi, Mark Henry, etc. He's gonna get it, it's just a matter of when.
I just dont really see it.

We both know being on TV means nothing. Joe is on TV every week, Miz is on TV every week, yet both guys are directionless jobbers who never win any match of any importance.

Corbisn in the same boat. For all the talk of Vince loving him and how much he's on TV the guy is just a glorified jobber. Thesedays he literally just fills the role that Miz filled on Raw when he was a heel, where he just constantly jobs to The Shield guys.

And Corbin was on TV so much mostly when he was in the Constable/GM Role. Its only natural that a heel GM gets plenty of TV time. Gets them heat to screw over all the babyfaces. But Corbin jobbed in all his feuds during that time. Hell even before he was recently taken off TV, when he was feuding with Rollins he was limited to 2-3 minutes on Raw each week at most.

To me it just comes across as people not liing Corbin so they pretend he's getting some monster push and is being overexposed. Overexposed is Heel Seth Rollins when he'd get roughly an hour of Raw each week between matches, a dreadful 20 minute promo every week and multiple segments.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,519 Posts

If your going to push Corbin again then bring back the actual 'Lonewolf' not this other corporate suck up who's lost his badass aura.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
They're both terrible, so who cares why they aren't on TV.

Reactions: Bryan Jericho

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

We both know being on TV means nothing. Joe is on TV every week, Miz is on TV every week, yet both guys are directionless jobbers who never win any match of any importance.

Corbisn in the same boat. For all the talk of Vince loving him and how much he's on TV the guy is just a glorified jobber. Thesedays he literally just fills the role that Miz filled on Raw when he was a heel, where he just constantly jobs to The Shield guys.

And Corbin was on TV so much mostly when he was in the Constable/GM Role. Its only natural that a heel GM gets plenty of TV time. Gets them heat to screw over all the babyfaces. But Corbin jobbed in all his feuds during that time. Hell even before he was recently taken off TV, when he was feuding with Rollins he was limited to 2-3 minutes on Raw each week at most.

To me it just comes across as people not liing Corbin so they pretend he's getting some monster push and is being overexposed. Overexposed is Heel Seth Rollins when he'd get roughly an hour of Raw each week between matches, a dreadful 20 minute promo every week and multiple segments.
Dude, it felt like Corbin was getting more than an hour every week. And yeah, it's because he was GM, but that's kinda the point, he got the role for a reason. They wanted him in a role where he could get a lot of tv time. Probably the reason you're seeing him less is because he's being directly called out as the cause for the ratings getting worse and worse.

I agree with you, being on tv means nothing, but my point is, I think we have a completely different version of what success is in WWE than Vince does. I think in Vinces mind, he doesn't value the championships at all. He doesn't value wins and losses at all. Yes, he usually puts over the guy he likes more, but who wouldn't? Ultimately, I think he has a completely different, and frankly stupid way of looking at it. We look at wrestling the way it's intended to be, which is a simulated sport. Whoever ends up with the gold medal is the winner. Vince, on the other hand, looks at wrestling like it's a fucking tv show, like The Simpsons. It's a bunch of characters, and you follow the characters around, and you have a main group of people and those are your main characters, and the way he looks at it is, he wants Seth Rollins, for whatever reason, to be Homer Simpson. The fans want Joe to be Homer, but he doesn't want Joe to be Homer, he wants Joe to be...Nelson, just for a stupid example. I know I'm not making sense, but I hope you kinda see what I'm getting at. I think he's got a very specific idea of where he wants everyone on the show and he enjoys them in that role. Another example is Mr. Burns. I LOVE Mr. Burns, he's my favourite character on that show. I don't want Mr. Burns to be the main character, cause he's a fucking old, stupid asshole. He's just amazing as a side character that has his role and he pops up and steals the show whenever he shows up, and I think in Vinces mind, he's got this weird idea that certain guys are good but you just don't put them in the top role. I agree the way he sees the talent is BAD, but I don't think he sees it as burying your favourite guy, I really don't. I think it's just his taste and his way of looking at wrestling is so misguided that this is what happens. Because honestly, if Vince doesn't like Corbin or Joe, why are they on tv so much? Doesn't it make sense that if you don't like somebody, you pretty much limit every chance you can to put them on tv? They have a microphone in their hands every week. Look at what he does to Asuka. Look at what he does to Ember Moon. Look at what he does to Andrade. Hell, look at what he does to Mike Kanellis, that poor bastard. Those are guys that Vince doesn't like. Those people are rarely on tv and when they are, they're losing or their time is so limited, they barely have any chance to showcase themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
Prolly gonna be King Corbin soon enough and Lacey's probably off somewhere...

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
Prolly gonna be King Corbin soon enough and Lacey's probably off somewhere...
I immediately thought "corbin's winning it" when they announced the kotr. he fits the mould of past winners, like sheamus and regal.

Reactions: lesenfanteribles

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
I immediately thought "corbin's winning it" when they announced the kotr. he fits the mould of past winners, like sheamus and regal.
Maybe an attire change is up in the works too.

·
15,537 Posts
Dude, it felt like Corbin was getting more than an hour every week. And yeah, it's because he was GM, but that's kinda the point, he got the role for a reason. They wanted him in a role where he could get a lot of tv time. Probably the reason you're seeing him less is because he's being directly called out as the cause for the ratings getting worse and worse.

I agree with you, being on tv means nothing, but my point is, I think we have a completely different version of what success is in WWE than Vince does. I think in Vinces mind, he doesn't value the championships at all. He doesn't value wins and losses at all. Yes, he usually puts over the guy he likes more, but who wouldn't? Ultimately, I think he has a completely different, and frankly stupid way of looking at it. We look at wrestling the way it's intended to be, which is a simulated sport. Whoever ends up with the gold medal is the winner. Vince, on the other hand, looks at wrestling like it's a fucking tv show, like The Simpsons. It's a bunch of characters, and you follow the characters around, and you have a main group of people and those are your main characters, and the way he looks at it is, he wants Seth Rollins, for whatever reason, to be Homer Simpson. The fans want Joe to be Homer, but he doesn't want Joe to be Homer, he wants Joe to be...Nelson, just for a stupid example. I know I'm not making sense, but I hope you kinda see what I'm getting at. I think he's got a very specific idea of where he wants everyone on the show and he enjoys them in that role. Another example is Mr. Burns. I LOVE Mr. Burns, he's my favourite character on that show. I don't want Mr. Burns to be the main character, cause he's a fucking old, stupid asshole. He's just amazing as a side character that has his role and he pops up and steals the show whenever he shows up, and I think in Vinces mind, he's got this weird idea that certain guys are good but you just don't put them in the top role. I agree the way he sees the talent is BAD, but I don't think he sees it as burying your favourite guy, I really don't. I think it's just his taste and his way of looking at wrestling is so misguided that this is what happens. Because honestly, if Vince doesn't like Corbin or Joe, why are they on tv so much? Doesn't it make sense that if you don't like somebody, you pretty much limit every chance you can to put them on tv? They have a microphone in their hands every week. Look at what he does to Asuka. Look at what he does to Ember Moon. Look at what he does to Andrade. Hell, look at what he does to Mike Kanellis, that poor bastard. Those are guys that Vince doesn't like. Those people are rarely on tv and when they are, they're losing or their time is so limited, they barely have any chance to showcase themselves.
Ultimately I just cant look beyond the fact that when Corbins TV time was at a premium literally all he did was come out every week and job to Reigns, or Rollins, or Ambrose, or all three of them during those endless fortnightly Shield reunions.

He's a scapegoat for the ratings, the same people who claim you cant blame Rollins or Styles or Bryan, etc the people who were World Champs for record lows want to blame Baron for the ratings when his entire role on the show was The Shields favourite jobber.

I get your point in the big second paragraph, it makes sense. But I'm too jaded, like I look at Miz being fed to Shane McMahon repeatedly of all people and then see Miz being completely irrelevant ever since and its hard to even say that Vince is just a senile fool with a weird outlook. Seems more likely there's just people he doesn't give a shit about and he focuses all his energy on the same tiny handful of boring as batshit chosen ones. Its no coincidence that the only people in WWE who get pushed are all insanely boring and limited performers.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
This is false, completely false.

I like Corbin, but can admit in any other Era his ceiling would be Upper Midcard, but in this Era he is more than good enough. Look at the recent Main Event scene in WWE; Rollins, Ziggler, Kofi, Owens. They're all midcard talent. Rollins in particular should not be anywhere near the Main Event. But if a guy as untalented as Seth can be a consistent long term Main Eventer in this Era, then literally anyone can.
Rollins is only guy in that group I would consider maineventer. Kofi isn't close to mainevent scene right now despite being wwe champion, Owens rarely mainevented as universal champion and zigglers mainevents were more as a filler opponent for Cena, Orton etc.

Why do you think Corbin is above guys like Drew, Elias, Lashley, Strowman in terms of being mainevent ready?

·
Registered
842 Posts
If I win the lottery some day. I play a ticket every week.

I'm starting up my own Promotion. And I'm gonna poach Lacey Evans and Baron Corbin from WWE when their contracts expire. They will be the top talents of my promotion.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts

As Tyrion said, how much Vince likes someone often does correlate to TV time. And he has a different idea of like and dislike. We want our favorites to win things, but to Vince he likes people who can fill TV content, which isn't the same thing. People he REALLY likes he puts titles on and gives them lots of TV time.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts