Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you think drugs and Alcohol played a big role for wrestlers during the 90's'/early 00's whenever they were working on the mic or just did some crazy shit during that time period? Because if you look back and compared to the talent back than to today, you would see a lot of the guys didn't care what they said on national tv or backstage or on the road. They lived the characters! But if you look at today's talent, they are very laid back and calm. I wouldn't see any special moments or any crazy shit that I'd expect from the 90's/00's.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really shocked you're asking this :lol

Have you not heard stories from the 90's my man? Of course it played a huge role.
I know it did lol I just wanted to know what others thought. I like hearing others opinions.

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Probably not so much during the early 00's, seems like WWE began cracking down on a lot of that stuff once they were winning the war pretty heavily.

The late 90's on the other hand.....

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Something changed once the 21st century started. I know guys like Jericho and those of his generation partied but did it responsibly. So, I guess the guys like Cena, Batista & Orton (plus the indy guys who started around the early 2000s) were the cool down group. They looked up to the Scott Hall's and Jake Roberts' of the world as kids, saw what they had become when they got into the business and decided that what'd they saw their heroes did wasn't very smart in the long run. Nowadays, that plays a huge part but I also believe the current bunch of pro wrestlers just aren't into hard partying like their counterparts from 20-30 years ago.

If you wanna get the social pulse of today's wrestler, look no further than Xavier Woods' UpUpDwnDwn channel on Youtube :lol

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Ask Scott Hall, HBK, X-pac and several others

it played a role so big that they used it into storylines.
Road Warrior Hawk and Scott Hall even wrestle or were shown on TV completely wasted and that´s on TV.
backstage was even worse, Eddie Guerrero, British Bulldog, Mr Perfect, Chyna,
Sunny, Test and many others suffered or died Cause of It.

·
Banned
2,158 Posts
Yes, but they also didn't have to deal with people posting their every movement on social media.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Yeah they did more drugs back then.

Nowadays they only PEDs like steroids and low-dose HGH and maybe diuretics (see Finn Balor) with a bit booze and coke, but nothing too bad. Some guys like Triple H are known to never take any drugs at all besides steroids and GH actually...basically no reactrive drugs.

In 2015 it's all about PED, not recreative drugs. Not a bad direction if you ask me.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
Yes, and they should start using drugs and alcohol heavily again. Randy Orton should never deliver a promo without an 8-ball of coke. The Bellas should always be in brie Mode. Natalya may get some personality if she's allowed to smoke weed to mellow her out. Bryan could use steroids to stop being so fragile and brittle. Wyatt should drink bourbon so his promos can stop being repetitive. Reigns can use meth to stop gassing out so fast. John Cena should take adderall to focus on a body part and learn wrestling psychology. Steph can swim in a chemical pool of benzodiazepines so she can stop emasculating the roster.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Hell yes and the business itself (not so much the individuals) was arguably better off for it. Wrestlers should not be allowed to try and entertain an audience without getting blasted on cocaine beforehand.

It was so much more fun to watch.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Hell yes and the business itself (not so much the individuals) was arguably better off for it. Wrestlers should not be allowed to try and entertain an audience without getting blasted on cocaine beforehand.

It's not a coincidence that baseball was also at its highest point of entertainment when they did drugs.

Obviously you don't wanna see guys die over but you want the best out of your dollar.

Eminem gave us his best music when he was loaded on drugs. Now? He sucks unless you're a fan of motivational speeches & screaming in your ears.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Man, those interviews with Hogan, Piper, Jake, Savage, Superfly, Flair you get where I'm going lol were highly entertaining.

I thought I was going to be the only one to say they were way more charged up under the influence giving all-time performances.

Benoit ended all of this for sure as Vince and company would not take the chance again with that kind of environment. That's saying a lot with how desperate they get for ratings lol.

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
Do you think drugs and Alcohol played a big role for wrestlers during the 90's'/early 00's whenever they were working on the mic or just did some crazy shit during that time period? Because if you look back and compared to the talent back than to today, you would see a lot of the guys didn't care what they said on national tv or backstage or on the road. They lived the characters! But if you look at today's talent, they are very laid back and calm. I wouldn't see any special moments or any crazy shit that I'd expect from the 90's/00's.

what do you guys think?
Yes and in life as well. Drugs help with creativity.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts

I woulden't say modern wrestlers should get coked up before a promo...

Just that it's unfair that they get compared to a cast that had cocaine help their promos back then.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
I woulden't say modern wrestlers should get coked up before a promo...

Just that it's unfair that they get compared to a cast that had cocaine help their promos back then.
It really isn't.

Drugs alone don't make you entertaining...charisma does. They still do testosterone and its derivaties, they still do hgh, they still do diuretics (actually, that wasn't even used before) but they drastically reduced it on the recreative drugs and I agree with that and I'm no conservative either.

I honestly can't respect a wrestler that is only entertaining drugged. The Rock wasn't drugged, Scott Steiner wasn't drugged, SCSA wasn't drugged.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.