Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean in the eyes of the fans that Roman will never get the approval from them? We all know CM Punk made that infamous meme about making Roman look strong and rumor started that he's gonna be the next Cena even though Roman never got a chance to prove himself first. Thoughts about this?

·
Nah, I’m your king now.
4,125 Posts
You talking about that Cabana podcast that only die hards listened to? Fuck no.

WWE was blatantly shoving him down our throats. He didn't need to say anything.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No, he didn’t.

Look at this

And listen to this

And then ask yourself why this couldn’t be Roman Reigns instead?

You know the answer already though. It’s because of bad booking.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Yes. I actually think Punk’s comments were more influential that some give him credit for.

Especially back then when it stood out a lot more

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
1,864 Posts
Roman is doing just fine. Didn’t need a cm punk approval in the first place. Doesn’t need any updated words from punk in the future.

CM might as well just focus on his ufc stuff or sewing

·
IRAN #1
2,308 Posts
Roman's career is far from ruined. He's been doing fucking great the past 5 years. Have you missed everything he's done? If anything, Punk helped his career.

1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of you guys are missing the point. Punk legitimize the rumored that Reigns will be the next Cena and the marks didn't like that idea and rejected Roman as soon as they saw that WWE will push Roman rather than Bryan on RR15.

Thread title updated.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Punks shitty comments did a lot more damage than people give credit for. He exposed the WWE's desperation to make Roman the top guy and fans turned on him from that.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Around 2013 reports came out that Reigns was going to become the next guy. Despite
Rollins and Dean were the two most popular.

Around 2014 Roman Reigns was pretty well liked. This was right after the Seth Rollins turned on the Shield to join HHH and Orton. Dean was feuding with Seth and Roman Reigns was fighting Orton.

When CM Punk podcast came out near the end of that year that’s when Reigns started getting hate. I think CM Punk did have some influence on Reigns.

·
Registered
20,820 Posts
Well he certainly didn't help him. He literally gave folk a knock on Reigns that is still being used 6 years later. But hardcore fans were going to whine about Reigns regardless. Hardcore fans have consistently hated whoever they see as the guy in WWE. Rock and Austin got hardcore fan hate as guys who didn't deserve their spot for Christ's sake lol

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Among the hardcore obsessive smarks who think CM Punk was god's gift to wrestling, maybe.

What accounts for the rest of the people who don't like Roman and probably never will is the ludicrous booking when he clearly wasn't good enough at the time to stand alone as a singles wrestler after so long in a faction.

Roman's improved a lot in the ring and has had loads of good matches and if WWE had let his momentum build naturally in line with his in-ring skill this wouldn't have ended up being a problem.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,700 Posts
LOL no. A lot of people try to make Punk more important than he was. At best he´s a footnote in Wrestling history.
In reality, that's not true. It's impossible to write a history of WWE 2010-2020 without including CM Punk, and he was only around for four of those years. Approach it with anything approaching objectivity, and he's far from a footnote. That said...

What killed Reigns was nepotism, bad booking and subpar talent.
This is correct, for the most part. When you say "subpar talent," what are you referring to, specifically? I'm not saying you're wrong, just honestly asking.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
In reality, that's not true. It's impossible to write a history of WWE 2010-2020 without including CM Punk, and he was only around for four of those years. Approach it with anything approaching objectivity, and he's far from a footnote. That said...

This is correct, for the most part. When you say "subpar talent," what are you referring to, specifically? I'm not saying you're wrong, just honestly asking.
I´ll elaborate on both my statements. Punk´s achievements in WWE, in terms of longevity, influence on the future and important storylines is nowhere near top tier. Sure, you can´t write WWE history without mentioning his name, but that´s why I call him a footnote.. Some wrestlers won´t even be that lucky, even if they spend their entire career in WWE. (Ryder is an example of that, and I like Ryder)

When I call Reigns Subpar talent it´s a reference to how he wasn´t and isn´t ready to be THE top star of WWE. His skills were good enough for him to dominate the midcard for years.. In fact, if he had won the US or IC title as his first title, I don´t think anyone would have raised an eyebrow.
Not good on the mic, limited moveset (yes, I know WWE limits their performers, but still, all we´ve ever seen from him is the most basic stuff), and simply not strong enough to being "muscle" for a group or being called a "Powerhouse" like the commentators loves to. The guy struggles to do the deadlift powerbomb which smaller guys like Sin Cara did without much effort.
All in all. Roman is subpar for the position they gave him.

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
Roman being medicore but getting pushed like he's Hulk Hogan is why he is so hated. And he's no better now that he was five years ago, so he will continue to get hate.
The peak of his hate was like 2015 rumble. His first major achievement as a singles guy.

I mean fair enough if he had gone 6.5 years without losing clean like Hogan or holding WWE title most of that period people would get fed up but Reigns heat was there before they even starting pushing him. That same heat i can't remember being there pre Punk podcast among hardcore males.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
You talking about that Cabana podcast that only die hards listened to? Fuck no.

WWE was blatantly shoving him down our throats. He didn't need to say anything.
Roman Reigns unfortunately was John Cena circa 2002...i.e. the Ruthless Aggression John Cena who had no personality. In part, Roman was given the same reaction as Cena would have been if WWE had insisted that the 2002 Cena main event WrestleMania 19, 20, 21, and 22 without any changes to the blank characterization that he had at the time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts