Votes: 12 54.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do people think CM Punk paved the way for Daniel Bryan?

I like to think of CM Punk as the original breakthrough Indy guy. He came to WWE, and made a name for himself in ECW. He dominated smack down as the leader of the Straight Edge Society. He formed New Nexus and led the war against John Cena.

CM Punk was the original UNDERDOG. No one thought he could make it. He didn't have the body nor the "typical" wrestler look. Yet he excelled he proved everyone wrong and he took that and turned it into some of the best promos we've ever seen.

Do you guys think Daniel Bryan is playing the exact same angle? Both of them have a extensive history together. Daniel Bryan is now playing the underdog Indy guy. He's feuding with Triple H by claiming he's not the "prototype wrestler"

Sounds a lot like CM Punk's pipe bomb, CM Punk started the underdog war on WWE and made it popular. Daniel Bryan came along and stole it. And he does it in such a childish way with his yes chants.

Do you guys think CM Punk's success paved the way for DB? Without CM Punk would we have a Daniel Bryan that's as popular?

·
Best there ever will be..
4,221 Posts
Yes.

The fans saw how hot Punk was and how we was pushed down the card, title or not, to make way for what management wanted (Cena). Fast forward to Bryan's push to fill in for an injured Cena and the fans saw the writing on the wall at the Rumble and refused to allow it happen to "their" guy again. Without the distaste of how Punk was treated over the years I doubt Bryan gets near the hijacking that he did. It wasn't Bryan vs. his opponent in kayfabe terms the fans were cheering for, rather Bryan vs. WWE management itself.

·
Banned
13,572 Posts
NO Bryan would have gotten into main event status without Punk. He actually was already before Punk walked out.

Reactions: NastyYaffa

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I think they both pretty much got over on their own, I think what Punk helped do however is open the door for a change of mind regarding WWE signings, hence NXT.

And if Punk is to believed the Shield was his vision, and he pushed for Rollins/Ambrose on the main roster, even agreed to go to NXT when he was white hot to face Ambrose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd say yes but not just paving the way for Bryan but every other indy wrestler that came to wwe after punk. Random question but who was a bigger star in the indys, punk or Bryan?

·
Registered
13,589 Posts
I'd say yes but not just paving the way for Bryan but every other indy wrestler that came to wwe after punk. Random question but who was a bigger star in the indys, punk or Bryan?
bryan was the bigger star. he carried roh during their most successful spell.

punk was number 2 guy during his time in roh. samoa joe was the top guy

·
Registered
83 Posts
bryan was the bigger star. he carried roh during their most successful spell.

punk was number 2 guy during his time in roh. samoa joe was the top guy
Thanks for answering! :)

·
Banned
7,268 Posts
Daniel Bryan is a bigger star than CM Punk ever was... WWE never treated Punk like he was a major star unfortunately , he was a mid-carder for majority of his career.. Daniel Bryan is paving the way for these tiny indy guys, he's proving you don't need to be 6'4 250lbs to be a major star in WWE.

·
Banned
10,735 Posts
It's debatable. Punk certainly set a precedent for guys like Bryan and Rollins. However, it's largely Bryan's own skill, talent, charm and charisma that got him over.

What's not debatable is that Punk's departure played a large part in Bryan getting into the Mania main event. So in that sense, the two guys career paths are certainly linked.

What's also not debatable is that those two have been the most fascinating and controversial guys on WWE's main roster in a decade. For REAL wrestling fans, they've been the true faces of the WWE for the past couple years (sorry Cena fans)

·
Banned
1,652 Posts
Whats with this shit? OP cant make a thread that isnt praising Punk/bashing Bryan in some way. Newsflash, No, he didnt. But benoit sure as fuck probably did. Smaller guys that are great wrestlers that got over on their own away from "the big 2" promotions of their time. Stop talking like Punk is the fucking be all end all, he wasnt the first guy to go against the machine and he sure as fuck wont be the last

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.